Dr Who

Michelle

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tonight's story was a huge improvement on last week's - I thought it was excellent. :) Quite a lot of "issues" were brought up for the kiddies to think about, without getting in the way of the action. Those smiler things were very sinister, and it was nice to see The Demon Headmaster popping up in a supporting role.

I thought Liz Ten was brilliant, complete with her "common" accent! Great shooting from her too. :)

I'm starting to like Amy Pond now, especially as she seems to be the one with the brains. It's a good job she was there and had the intelligence and the courage to sort things out - unlike the Doctor. :D Yeah, yeah, I know it's written that way so the Doctor can realise her intelligence and integrity and begin to respect her as a worthy human to take on his travels. But...

There's still one big problem for me: Matt :( Smith. He hasn't grown on me at all since last week. I really don't like him at all.

I love it!

I think Matt Smith is absolutley perfect as The Doctor. I really hope it gets the viewing figures and support from the public so the Beeb doesn't try to get rid of either of them.

And I don't know if I'm getting used to the theme music or if they've changed it but I was quite liking it. I wasn't sure if last week the music was muffled because the Tardis was getting knocked about. I'll have to go and check on iplayer. Oh it was nice to watch this episode on iplayer actually. No announcer talking over the end credits.

I watched this when I got in last night, around midnight, which with hindsight probably wasn't the best move as I found it to be a little flat and a lot of it didn't seem to make much sense.

Why where some of the "guards" half Smiler? For that matter, what was the point of the Smilers at all? Why were all the tentacle things about? How did Amy get to record that warning to herself? etc

I did like some of the Doctor/Amy moments though.

I need to watch it again now I'm a bit more awake, it should hopefully make more sense then!

@Raven

No it doesn't make much more sense when you go back to it. In Confidential Moffat says the reason for the half smiler guards was just for a creepy Doctor Who moment where things aren't what you expect them to be. As for the point of the smilers in the first place...errr...nothing mentioned. All I can say is they're the security system in place for the majority of the population of the ship that have chosen to forget. Why they have to be demonic plastic booth people I couldn't say. I'd imagine it's for the same reason again. Moffat just wanted a classic creepy baddie.

The tentacles don't bother me really. Star whales don't really exist. You could say they're anything. A defence against anything which might latch onto it in space? I mean it's not like it can turn round and flick something off.

And her recording...yeah that was weird. Actually I don't know. There was a record button in the middle of the console. Maybe she recorded it before wiping her memory and it was just bad editing that made you thing she pressed forget straight away.

But after all those apologetics I can't say I care much about those little holes. I mean looking back on Doctor Who over the years I'm pretty sure I could find a lot bigger plotholes and mistakes than there were in that episode but it's never ruined it for me before. Especially in RTD's writing (I know I always have digs at him. I can't help it).

Also the scene leading up to and on the tongue is possibly the funniest Doctor Who scene I've ever watched.

"This isn't going to be big on dignity"

Also the scene leading up to and on the tongue is possibly the funniest Doctor Who scene I've ever watched.

"This isn't going to be big on dignity"

I actually choked on my drink when he said that.

Plotholes aside, I loved it. I still adore Matt, I think he's brilliant (possibly because I never watched the Tennant series - Tennant never really grew on me) and though Karen's acting is a bit dodgy, yes, I still think they make a great pair.

And I want a starwhale.

I just watched the most recent episode tonight. I few observations from me:

Re. the smiler guards:

Thay kind of reminded me a bit of the Angels on the Titanic episode, and also a little of those stone gargoyle-angels that can't move when you're looking at them. I thin kthey were just the "face" of the "Big Brother is wathcing you" atmosphere. The people could see them and so they would remember they were being watched. That's all they're needed for really.

Re. the Amy vid:

I think the point of it being so quick was that we're seeing it from Amy's POV at that point. As far as she's concerned, she pressed the forget button, so that's all we see and so we "forget" along with her that she's made the recording, meaning we're as surprised as she is to see it. I think that's intentional on the director's behalf.

Re. the end:

I actually thought the message of te episode to be a little bit preachy - the whole "don't hurt "dumb" animals thing. It felt a little bit sour to me, but maybe that's just me!

Overall, I think the lass plkaying Amy can't act for toffee, but she's still a good foil for the Doctor. As for Matt, I can see him growing on me in the role, but I don't think I'll ever like him as much as I did CE (DT never quite made it up to his level for me either, although he grew on me over time too so that I ended up rather liking him in the role).

I still think the new theme tune sucks - it's one of the worst we've had (although my hubby rather likes it), but I do like the new TARDIS-shaped DW logo - it's way-cool!

I've re-watched it this afternoon (day-off!), and being more awake it - unsurprisingly - made more sense, although I would still argue that there are some plot holes.

The thing that confused me is the way the Amy voting scene is cut. Amy has all the images flashing in her eyes and she then immediately hits the forget button. As played on the screen it looks as though she sees the truth, panics and presses forget, so it is then a little confusing when she appears on the screen. When I originally watched it - in my sleep deprived state - I was expecting something really nasty to happen to the Doctor later in the story and that the message was one that Amy had somehow been able to record after the event. Part of me now wonders if that instantaneous pressing of the forget button is in part supposed to represent that she has forgotten what has happened

btw what is the meaning of the crack at the end...I know about the crack in the wall from the first ep. I guess it's eluding to the big bad of this season?

I think it's meant to be a little snippet for regular eagle-eyed viewers to pick up and will build to the finale of the series, like Bad Wolf in the first new series, Torchwood in series two, etc.

So far,

the crack has appeared on Amy's wall and on the scanner on the TARDIS in episode one, and the side of Spaceship UK in episode two. I think there's also been a couple of mentions of "Silence is coming" or something similar?

btw what is the meaning of the crack at the end...I know about the crack in the wall from the first ep. I guess it's eluding to the big bad of this season?

I think it's the same space-time rift that we've seen time and time again in DW and Torchwood (the one in Cardiff - perhaps that area on the UK ship was Wales?).