Moab is my Washpot by Stephen Fry

Janet

035-2008-Oct-28-MoabismyWashpot.jpg

Moab is my Washpot by Stephen Fry

The �Blurb�

Stephen Fry is one of the great originals... This autobiography of his first twenty years is a pleasure to read, mixing outrageous acts with sensible opinions in bewildering confusion... That so much outward charm, self-awareness and intellect should exist alongside behaviour that threatened to ruin the lives of innocent victims, noble parents and Fry himself, gives the book a tragic grandeur and lifts it to classic status The Financial Times

I�ve always had a soft spot for Stephen Fry - as an only child, I�ve always wanted an older brother and I think he�d fit the bill perfectly!

This autobiography charts the first 18 years of his life although only scant details of his life until he started school. It�s candid and frank and he�s open about his struggles with his sexuality, his expulsion from public school and his slide into crime.

Luckily for Fry, he comes from an exceptionally loving and supportive family and clearly still feels remorse for what he put them through. Fortunately, thanks to his own determination and the support of his family, he came through these experiences and went on to become the man we know today

He�s a remarkably clever man and yet the book never feels preachy.

I read on a forum about him yesterday that he�s due to publish further memoirs in 2010 - so that�s one to look forward to.

The paperback is 436 pages long and is published by Arrow Books. The ISBN number is 978-0099457046.

9/10

(Read October 2008)

• 1 month later...

Will look out for this one. I'm a big fan of Stephen Fry too, he is a great actor, brilliant in Jeeves and Wooster. Didn't realise he had bipolar disorder until I saw him doing a documentary on mental illnesses. He interestingly observed that he wouldn't wish not to be bipolar, as in his manic periods he was most creative.

• 7 months later...

This must be one of the best if not the best autobiography out there. Astonishingly frank and honest .. makes you want to throw nearly everyone else's biog into a skip.

I can't wait to read the sequel which I've heard he is writing.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure I read somewhere that The Liar is based on his experiences. I'd like to read that one day.

I can't wait for the sequel to MOAB. :tong:

I saw The Liar in a charity shop today, I regret not buying it. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...