Forthcoming books to movies...

Kell

There seem to be a whole spate of books being made into films at the moment, so here's the place to check up on the latest releases in case you want to see what Hollywood made of the book you just enjoyed so much!

ALREADY OUT:

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (12 September - UK)

Based on the book by John Boyne

Set during World War II, a story seen through the innocent eyes of Bruno, the eight-year-old son of the commandant at a concentration camp, whose forbidden friendship with a Jewish boy on the other side of the camp fence has startling and unexpected consequences.

COMING SOON:

The Secret Life of Bees (17 October - USA / 23 October - UK)

Based on the book by Sue Monk Kidd

Set in South Carolina in 1964, the film is the moving tale of Lily Owens a 14 year-old girl who is haunted by the memory of her late mother. To escape her lonely life and troubled relationship with her father, Lily flees with Rosaleen, her caregiver and only friend, to a South Carolina town that holds the secret to her mother's past. Taken in by the intelligent and independent Boatwright sisters, Lily finds solace in their mesmerizing world of beekeeping, honey and the Black Madonna.

Twighlight (17 November - USA / 19 December - UK)

Based on the bookby Stewphanie Meyer

Bella Swan has always been a little bit different. Never one to run with the crowd, Bella never cared about fitting in with the trendy, plastic girls at her Phoenix, Arizona high school. When her mother remarried and Bella chooses to live with her father in the rainy little town of Forks, Washington, she didn't expect much of anything to change. But things do change when she meets the mysterious and dazzlingly beautiful Edward Cullen. For Edward is nothing like any boy she's ever met. He's nothing like anyone she's ever met, period. He's intelligent and witty, and he seems to see straight into her soul. In no time at all, they are swept up in a passionate and decidedly unorthodox romance - unorthodox because Edward really isn't like the other boys. He can run faster than a mountain lion. He can stop a moving car with his bare hands. Oh, and he hasn't aged since 1918. Like all vampires, he's immortal. That's right - vampire. But he doesn't have fangs - that's just in the movies. And he doesn't drink human blood, though Edward and his family are unique among vampires in that lifestyle choice. To Edward, Bella is that thing he has waited 90 years for - a soul mate. But the closer they get, the more Edward must struggle to resist the primal pull of her scent, which could send him into an uncontrollable frenzy. Somehow or other, they will have to manage their unmanageable love. But when unexpected visitors come to town and realize that there is a human among them Edward must fight to save Bella? A modern, visual, and visceral Romeo and Juliet story of the ultimate forbidden love affair - between vampire and mortal.

Inkheart (12 December - UK /23 January 2009 - USA)

Based on the book by Cornelia Funke

A young girl discovers her father has an amazing talent to bring characters out of their books and must try to stop a freed villain from destroying them all, with the help of her father, her aunt, and a storybook's hero.

Yes Man (19 December - USA)

Based on the book by Danny Wallace

Wallace's second solo book, Yes Man was published in July 2005. In it, he describes how he spent six months "saying Yes where once would have said No", to make his life more interesting and positive. In this book he shows the tribulations and mischief that he got up to while he said yes to any question or proposal.

Marley & Me (25 December 2008 - USA /13 March 2009 - UK)

Based onthe book by John Grogan

A family learns important life lessons from their adorable, but naughty and neurotic dog. Based on the memoir by John Grogan.

Confessions of a Shopaholic (13 February 2009 - USA / 20 February 2009 - UK)

Based on the book by Sophie Kinsella

A college grad lands a job as a financial journalist in New York City to support where she nurtures her shopping addiction and falls for a wealthy entrepreneur.

Watchmen (6 March 2009 - UK & USA)

Based on the graphic novel by Dave Gibbons & Alan Moore

When an ex-superhero is murdered, a vigilante named Rorshach begins an investigation into the murder, which begins to lead to a much more terrifying conclusion.

I thought I heard Dan Browns Angels & Demons was in the making or was I dreaming !!! :welcome:

Yes I heard that too ;). Ron Howard who did the Da Vinci Code is directiing Angels & Demons with Tom Hanks and Ewan McGregor in it no less! Sounds good :006:

I'm really looking forward to Marley and Me. I love the book :006: Plus dogs are so cute - but I don't know if I will be able to take the ending

Same here, if I do go and see it I'll make sure I'm well stocked up on the tissues :welcome:

Here you go:

Angels and Demons (15 My 2009 - UK & USA)

Based on the book by Dan Brown

When a murder of a physicist, Leonardo Vetra, finds a symbolist, Robert Langdon, and Mr. Vetra's daughter, Vittoria, on an adventure for a secret brotherhood, The Illuminati. Clues lead them all around the Vatican, including the four alters of science, Earth, Air, Fire and Water. An Assassin working for the Illuminati, have captured four cardinals, and murders each, painfully. Robert and Vittoria also are searching for a new very destructive weapon that could kill millions.

I hadn't included it earlier because it's so far in advance. :welcome:

Confessions of a Shopaholic (13 February 2009 - USA / 20 February 2009 - UK)

Based on the book by Sophie Kinsella

A college grad lands a job as a financial journalist in New York City to support where she nurtures her shopping addiction and falls for a wealthy entrepreneur.

I was looking forward to this as I loved the book, but I have to say that the trailers for the movie look really tacky. I don't think I'll be going to see it somehow! Oh and I hate the fact it's been Americanised!

I was looking forward to this as I loved the book, but I have to say that the trailers for the movie look really tacky. I don't think I'll be going to see it somehow! Oh and I hate the fact it's been Americanised!

Yeah I agree Karen. I love the book series but I agree about it being Americanised. I don't know if I will go to the pics to see it, or just wait for it to reach Sky.

:welcome: Does anyone know when The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas is released on DVD ??

Seeing as how it was only released in the cinemas a month ago and is still playing in some places, I thin kit'l be a few months yet. It might possibly get a release just before Xmas, but it's most likely to be the new year, I'd expect.

'Twilight'!!!!

Already covered that one. :D

COMING SOON:

Twighlight (17 November - USA / 19 December - UK)

Based on the bookby Stewphanie Meyer

Bella Swan has always been a little bit different. Never one to run with the crowd, Bella never cared about fitting in with the trendy, plastic girls at her Phoenix, Arizona high school. When her mother remarried and Bella chooses to live with her father in the rainy little town of Forks, Washington, she didn't expect much of anything to change. But things do change when she meets the mysterious and dazzlingly beautiful Edward Cullen. For Edward is nothing like any boy she's ever met. He's nothing like anyone she's ever met, period. He's intelligent and witty, and he seems to see straight into her soul. In no time at all, they are swept up in a passionate and decidedly unorthodox romance - unorthodox because Edward really isn't like the other boys. He can run faster than a mountain lion. He can stop a moving car with his bare hands. Oh, and he hasn't aged since 1918. Like all vampires, he's immortal. That's right - vampire. But he doesn't have fangs - that's just in the movies. And he doesn't drink human blood, though Edward and his family are unique among vampires in that lifestyle choice. To Edward, Bella is that thing he has waited 90 years for - a soul mate. But the closer they get, the more Edward must struggle to resist the primal pull of her scent, which could send him into an uncontrollable frenzy. Somehow or other, they will have to manage their unmanageable love. But when unexpected visitors come to town and realize that there is a human among them Edward must fight to save Bella? A modern, visual, and visceral Romeo and Juliet story of the ultimate forbidden love affair - between vampire and mortal.

Le crime est notre affaire, an adaptation of Agatha Christie's Partners in crime came out last week in France. I havent read that book but I love agatha christie and the film is apparently very good so I'll certainly go and see it. I'm not sure wether it will be marketed in other countries though, as it is a french film.

I think they have made a movie of Incendiary by Chris Cleave too - not completely sure though :D

Incendiary (20 January 2008 - USA / 24 October - UK)

Based on the book by Chris Cleave

An adulterous woman's life is torn apart when her husband and infant son are killed in a suicide bombing at a soccer match.

I believe that The Time Traveller's Wife is in post production now.

I'm not sure if I would want to see it. It's one of my favourite book and I just worry it will not be good enough.

The Time Traveler's Wife (Post Production)

Based on the book by Audrey Niffenegger

A romantic drama about a Chicago librarian (Bana) with a gene that causes him to involuntarily time travel, and the complications it creates for his marriage.

Le crime est notre affaire, an adaptation of Agatha Christie's Partners in crime came out last week in France. I havent read that book but I love agatha christie and the film is apparently very good so I'll certainly go and see it. I'm not sure wether it will be marketed in other countries though, as it is a french film.

Le crime est notre affaire (15 October - France)

BBased on Partners in Crime by Agatha Christie

Prudence Beresford is investigating another murder. Her aunt had witnessed it, but no body was found, and nobody trusted her word. Nobody, except Prudence, of course