Show your bookshelf

beef

After last year's bookshelf frenzy of purchasing, we hoped to organize our shelves. Now that it is his/mine/ours it's a real hodgepodge. I have my sincere doubts they will ever be in a real order. But here is some of it. :)

muag8.jpg

2aaagc1.jpg

love it :D

I've so enjoyed browsing everybody else's bookshelves, that I thought I really must add my own!

These three pictures represent about two-thirds of our collection. The first two pictures are in our 'living' room, which is in fact the largest bedroom which we changed! The first picture contains OH's books in the two left hand cases (the half-width and first full width - we've integrated some of our travel books, but otherwise decided we needed to keep our books separate, although still dive into each other's whenever!). The next two cases and the top shelf of the third are my fiction books. The rest plus all of picture 2 is history and our outsize books. Picture three is in my workroom: top shelf is mostly myths and legends, left hand case is religion, philosophy, books about books, essays and journalism, poetry, drama and Virginia Woolf (she warrants her own section!), whilst the right hand shelf is primarily science and (bottom shelf) food. I hope the piccies are clear enough (later edit: especially as, whilst Windows Photoviewer will allow you to zoom, but I can't see how to do that with the attachments other than downloading them).

I'll add the other shelves later.

post-5780-0-45401100-1329181817_thumb.jpg post-5780-0-05098700-1329181864_thumb.jpg post-5780-0-98572700-1329181927_thumb.jpg

Edited by willoyd

I can't wait to see the rest of your shelves! :D

Your wish is my command!

From L to R, bookcase 1 is the other set of shelves in my workroom: shelf by shelf: on the top a spillover from the fiction next door, being sets of pre-war detective stories (one of my weaknesses!); below that art and architecture, then languages including foreign language novels; then children's novels; on the bottom are Simply Foxed books and magazines double stacked in front of more children's novels.

Bookcase 2 is on the landing, with Dickens on top, the shelves being for biographies. Bookcase 3 is next to it, containing London history.

Bookcases 4 and 5 are in the bedrooms, 4 being travel writing, whilst 5 contains our maps and guides.

And that's pretty much it!

post-5780-0-78310100-1329233746_thumb.jpg post-5780-0-99606300-1329233792_thumb.jpg post-5780-0-61862300-1329233826_thumb.jpg post-5780-0-02671000-1329233867_thumb.jpg post-5780-0-09971200-1329233915_thumb.jpg

Edited by willoyd

they are all awesome, but # 4 is my fave :D

They are mine too: they only went in just before Christmas when we had the whole bedroom stripped back to the bare plaster and rebuilt and redecorated. We've been intending to get shelves into that alcove (created by the chimneys for the back rooms of our Victorian terrace swinging into the centre line to join the chimneys from the front rooms) for some time!

They are mine too: they only went in just before Christmas when we had the whole bedroom stripped back to the bare plaster and rebuilt and redecorated. We've been intending to get shelves into that alcove (created by the chimneys for the back rooms of our Victorian terrace swinging into the centre line to join the chimneys from the front rooms) for some time!

Looks great :)

Willoyd, that's amazing! :smile2:

I love the phone in pic #4, is it for bookish emergencies? "Hi Missus, this is Willoyd, where is my copy of To the Lighthouse??"

As we're on 3 floors plus a cellar, it has been used for internal communication (much to OH's astonishment!), but not bookishly (yet!).

As we're on 3 floors plus a cellar, it has been used for internal communication (much to OH's astonishment!), but not bookishly (yet!).

Okay, I take everything back that I said to you in my reading blog about going through books and giving some of them away as a therrapeutic action. You have ROOM for hella many books!!

Okay, I take everything back that I said to you in my reading blog about going through books and giving some of them away as a therrapeutic action. You have ROOM for hella many books!!

Yes and no. We've already got a lot of books (as you know!), and there's not a lot of room for more. The house might sound large but it's a Victorian terrace, where the emphasis is on vertical rather than the horizontal. (which makes the view from the bedroom rather spectacular, and at least keeps us fit!). It's not small, but I do know bungalows with more rooms!

Edited by willoyd

Willoyd your shelves are just amazing :smile: My oh my oh my!! .. I was thinking you were more minimalist .. I don't know where I got that idea from cos I know you're a big reader but I thought you didn't 'keep' books necessarily. And they are all so organised. Did you have a tidy up before taking the pic or are they always this ship shape?

Such a lovely library, you're so lucky. I live in a Victorian terrace too (with converted cellar & attic) but I have a feeling (just by looking at your bookshelves) that my Victorian terrace would fit into yours several times over :D There is not one room in this house that I could fit a floor to ceiling bookcase .. not without having nowhere to hang clothes or put dishes :D

Minimalist, moi? I think not!! Actually, we do turn books over quite a lot: that recent clear out took out about 300, but we do keep a lot too! I am also pretty brutal about books that get less than 4 stars when reading. No I didn't have a tidy - that is as they usually are. I'm afraid it's even more anally organised than you might think: each of the sections are internally sorted too. Thus, fiction is all alphabetical by author; history is split first of all geographically (basically world history, then the different continents with Europe first, then the others) and then subdivided chronologically with general histories at the end; biographies are chronological (I can't abide book shops where they are done alphabetically - what on earth have the Mitford sisters got to do with the Medici?!); travel writing is by continent then by country, then by author alphabetically, as are the guides (with those for cycling and walking separated out), the others by author. Sad or what?! But it does mean, we know exactly where to go, and its easier linking books or finding related books when browsing. The history especially has some umming and aaghing moments, but that's half the fun!

Yes, the ceilings are high - that's one of the reasons we bought the house, but when I was talking about verticality being the emphasis, we've basically got two rooms per floor. Whatever the size though, the Victorians did know how to build houses - I can't imagine many of those going up today still being in such good nick (or even being there) in 120 years time - we've still got the original roof tiles for instance, and the builders we had in last week to do some work on the chimney reckoned they'll still be there in another 120 years timel.

Edited by willoyd

Fab bookshelves and fab video! Thank you :)

Our bookshelf in the bedroom (which was given a complete overhaul before Christmas, so it is somewhat more tidier) ~

Bookshelf1-1.jpg

Some of you may have seen the photo on facebook, our wee book nook ~

Bookshelf2-1.jpg

:)

This is a larger version of my avatar, it's the wall directly in back of me whilst at the computer,

23m5tsi.jpg

and the view above the computer, and that wall in front of me...

30szuw1.jpg

and to one side, same view on the other side as well...

20r1e9x.jpg

Looking good, everyone! :D Nice collection of Murakami and Moers, Paula. :)

Thanks hen :) I've still to read the next two Moers books, I need to get moving :)

This is a larger version of my avatar, it's the wall directly in back of me whilst at the computer,

23m5tsi.jpg

and the view above the computer, and that wall in front of me...

30szuw1.jpg

and to one side, same view on the other side as well...

20r1e9x.jpg

Wow! :)

Beautiful, Pontalba! I love the way your shelves go around the window. :)

OK, I have a question. I've noticed that you (both Paula and Pontalba) don't have cornices on your ceilings (the bit that covers the join between the ceiling and the wall). Is this common in the UK and the US? They come standard in all houses here, but I'm finding them rather annoying of late. I can't buy the height extensions for my Billy bookcases because the cornices are in the way. I can only imagine my Dad's face if I tell him I want them removed so I can fit in more books! Here's a pic of what I mean (these are the bookcases in my lounge room; the one on the right is the new one):

post-3835-0-42095200-1329784470_thumb.jpg

(Excuse the blurriness!)

Edited by Kylie