Suggestions please ?

robson65

Hello,

My daughter has read and re-read the Stephenie Meyer series and loved them.

Has anyone any suggestions for anything similar that I could get her for Christmas ? (Bit early I know !)

Thanks for any help

Robson

How old ?

I'm 13 and I'm reading 'Magyk' by Angie Sage, it's really good, but if she doesn't like that maybe she might like Anne Rice. Although they are for adults, they're horror and vampires are in one I think.

Hope I helped :D

I love fantasy books <3 (I'm 19). How about the Wind on Fire trilogy, or the His Dark Materials trilogy? Maybe the Earthsea series. Or for something simpler, the Bartimaeus trilogy... Lot of trilogies aren't there?

Unfortunately, I haven't read The Lost Years of Merlin, so can't help you there.

Hi,

Has she tried the Garth Nix books 'Sabriel', 'Lirael' and 'Abhorsen'? They're really good. Also, another Nix book called 'Shade's Children' is worth a read.

There's a book called 'Exodus' by Julie Bertagna which is a weird blend of fantasy, post-apocalypse and cyberpunk that I enjoyed reading too.

Ooh yes, The Old Kingdom trilogy is good too (although the first few chapter of Sabriel can be hard to get through). I've not read his other books but heard they're not as good.

Exodus is great too; it also has a sequel called Zenith.

Not quite up there with the others, but Philip Reeve's Hungry City Chronicles (beginning with Mortal Engines) are enjoyable too.

• 2 months later...

Hello. I also read the Twilight series and loved them. I highly recommend the Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie Blackman for your daughter. They are similar in few ways to Twilight; they're young adult books and they are first and foremost a tragic love story. They are about humans though :D. There are four books in the series and they all involve some very serious and thought-provoking issues which are present in our current society. However, they still manage to be an exciting and very enjoyable read.

I've loved them for six years! :)

• 9 months later...
Not quite up there with the others, but Philip Reeve's Hungry City Chronicles (beginning with Mortal Engines) are enjoyable too.

The Hungry City Chronicles are amazing! I've never loved any books more. My copy of Mortal Engines is falling apart I've read it so many times!

He's doing a prequel series too, starting with Fever Crumb, which is very good.

I don't care that this is a YA book, it sounds so interesting I have to get it.
I hope you like it :D the writing is not the most challenging but the themes are, making the book one which should interest and make reflect anyone interested in why outcasts are outcasts - people who were enraged at Frankenstein and sobbed at The Hunchback of Notre Dame should enjoy the socio-psychological slant of Generation Dead. If you do, The Kiss of Life (book II) is already available.

I know I'm probably going to be in trouble for saying this but...

Another YA series about vampires is the Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith. I loved these when I was about that age. She also wrote Nightworld series. Edit because I missed a whole chunk of what I was going to say. And the trouble thing makes no sense otherwise. It holds uncanny similarities to Twilight I'm told by my sister who has read both. Apparently after serious consideration LJ Smith won out.

As for fantasy, has she tried His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman? And I'll second Angie Sage's books about Septimus.

Also, despite being adult fantasy, JV Jones' Book of Words series held me captivated at 15, and at 17 it contains nothing she wouldn't be able to go and see at the movies or already know.

Good luck!

Edited by Vanwa

L.J Smith is a great author, Dark visions is a good book about psycics and people with other powers. She also writes The Night World series which includes vampires, witches, warewolves and shapeshifters. You can buy individual books of there are books with three stories in them which are all linked through different characters e.g. book 1 Ash (vampire) is partially in it and he is also in book 2. Two witches are in book 3 who are in book 1 for a few pages. She also writes the vampire diaries but in my opinion they aren't as good.

Mary Janice Davidson's Undead and Unwed series is hilarious! It's a vampire book but could also be classed as Chick-lit.

Meg Cabot's Mediator Series is top! (the last one is best)

P.C and Kristen Cast write the marked series which is your average vampire book with fights and friends and love.

Has she read 'The Host' by Stephanie Meyer? Personally I think it is even better than the Twilight sega!

L.J Smith...She also writes The Night World series which includes vampires, witches, warewolves and shapeshifters. You can buy individual books of there are books with three stories in them which are all linked through different characters e.g. book 1 Ash (vampire) is partially in it and he is also in book 2. Two witches are in book 3 who are in book 1 for a few pages. She also writes the vampire diaries but in my opinion they aren't as good.

Actually they are all linked. The ones about witches are all linked through one witch family, and the ones about vampires are all linked by one vampire family, and the others all meet a particular character in one way or another in each book:

Thierry from Circle Daybreak

. I've also heard tell that LJ Smith is currently writing the series finale...

• 2 weeks later...
You might want to check out some of Charles De Lint's books. He writes urban fantasy, often with teenage characters. I love his work myself.
Thanks for this - I've been semipondering Charles De Lint for ages now; your recommendation has just clinched it, I think.

Thanks for this - I've been semipondering Charles De Lint for ages now; your recommendation has just clinched it, I think.

Charles De Lint is wonderful. I haven't read all of his stuff, but most of what I have read has been excellent.

Many of his books take place in the fictional town of Newford, but most of them can be read in any order you like. An excellent book to start with, to get a feel for Charles De Lint's style, is Dreams Underfoot. It is a collection of short stories from Newford, and it will introduce you to Jilly Coppercorn, a recurring character in the series. :)

Another YA series about vampires is the Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith. I loved these when I was about that age. She also wrote Nightworld series.

I was gonna suggest these too.

Another series I would highly recommend is the Women Of The Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong starting with 'Bitten'. Its a series which includes werewolves, witches, sorcerers, demons and many other supes, oh and a few vampires to boot! Its a bit more grown up than the Twilight series and not strictly young adult but it's not as 'adult' as The Sookie Stackhouse Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (which are also great reads).