How eclectic is your library

Colin Jacobs

Where do I start? Behind me in the living room are mostly OHs books, which consist of maps, walking and cycling guides, history, politics, Western magazines, biology, Shakespreare, computer books, poetry, and his fiction includes things from Bloke Joke's to Tolkien and from The A-Z of Everything to The Master Mariner.

My bible, recipe books and baby books are with these. I have quite a few bible's elsewhere in the house. My collection consists of fiction split into fantasy, historical, classics, thriller, romance, some chic-lit, crime, real life storys and probably others. I have a vast array. I also have my theology, philosophy and sociology text books, christian books, and music books which fall into different catergories. There are my poetry, and other literature type books about poets and playwrights, about writing, various dictionaries and encyclopedias (eclectic in themselves), sheet music, biographies.

The children have baby books, children's classics, disney books, fairytales, biology, mystery, horror, bbible stories and lots of others I can't think of right now. There are lot's of OHs ex-wife's fiction and text books around the house too. I haven't unearthed them all yet. She was a big reader.

If you look at my book collection and used that, as a reflection of its owner you would get a taste of MPD (Multiple Personality Disorder) from Stephen King and Dean Koontz to Ayn Rand and Douglas Adams, Buffy Books, Lois Duncan and Christopher pike, Lois Lowry and J.K Rowling Issac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Roald Dahl , C.S Lewis, J. R. R. Tolkien, Mark Twain , Charles Dickens, Leo Tolstoy Louisa May Alcott, even Aristotle, Plato Homer have a place there. There are Physics Books, Math, Science, Books on Writing, Witchcraft, Cooking, About 7 Bibles Because who knows which version someone will be talking about. Other religious books from the Holy Koran to a Satanic Bible, Even some Fanfiction stories that I printed out and put into folders. and much much more :)

Edited by Nici
Changed title ;)

my books are mostly scifi, fantasy, and crime fiction.. altho i also have lots of other stuff, including classics, and lots of ancient history books.. i also like old books, altho it's been a long time since i have browsed in an old book shop.. my treasure is a copy of Boccaccio's Decameron, it's over a hundred years old now.. and some children's books that are even older..

Just thought of a few other types of books I didn't mention in my first post. I have a lot of drawing books (and supplies), books on embroidery, cross-stitch and other crafts. And recently a lot of one-off books on various subjects I would never have read before. My tastes are definitely expanding as I age. Not changing as I still love all my old favourites, but definitely expanding! :)

I have a wide range of reading subject in my library, everything from technical handbooks, textbooks, true crime, bibles, a koran, a series of leaked CIA memo's from the 60's, a presidential handbook, auto biographies, comics, if I can get my hands on it I will give a go reading it.

I'd like to think my library is pretty broad, Novel wise I don't tend to go for one paticular genre, more just general novels, though thrillers are never really my thing, theres a bit of romance in there, a few more philosophical novels, a few lighter reads (Alexander Mcall Smith, Nick Hornby etc.) and a couple of collections of short stories by a couple of authors (Franz Kafka, Ivan Turgenev, Charlotte Perkins Gilman & a collection of Italian Folktales by Italio Calvino). Then I Have a few autobiographys (Martin Brodeur (NHL Netminder), Ronnie Corbett, Richard Hammond, John Peel, Paul Thompson (Coventry Blaze Ice Hockey Coach). I also have a bit of non-fiction, the New Scientist books, Herodotus, Freud, Orwells essays. Its pretty much just novelly novels though.

I have a pretty diverse collection of books. I have loads of History books as I love History and am keeping most of the ones I bought for my degree. I have quite a few classics and modern fiction. I also love non fiction and have lots of biographies and true stories. The only books I do not have many of are travel and art books which I am trying to expand my collection of.

Then I Have a few autobiographys (Martin Brodeur (NHL Netminder), Ronnie Corbett, Richard Hammond, John Peel, Paul Thompson (Coventry Blaze Ice Hockey Coach).

Have you read Lance Armstrong's It's Not About The Bike? What with Brodeur in there and so on, I thought it might interest you. For me personally it was a eye-opener to both the character of Armstrong and to Le Tour, which, altough I've always loved, I never really followed enough to realise just how much strategy and planning goes into it.

To get back to the topic, my library is very varied. Just to see what's in my flat... there's what would classify as classics (Hugo, Dickens and so on), more younger and yet classics (Steinbeck, Heminway...), contemporary from all over the world with some lighter (Nick Hornby, Erlend Loe, Marc Levy...) and some heavier touches (Miriam Toews, Coelho...). There's some Finnish award winners and such (like West

Quite eclectic I think. I have a lot of classics, ranging from Jane Austen to Bram Stoker, some Stephen King and Dean Koontz as well as a bit of chick lit (not much though) and some (mostly unread) crime, fantasy and sci fi and some mainstream fiction. Also lots of non-fiction, science, theological, travel, politics and biography and lots of books on writing and English.

I have a little bit of lots of different genres without any one really dominating the shelves. Perhaps my largest genre is the classics - but even in there there's a bit of Poe, a bit of Shakespeare, all different stuff.

No romance in sight though.

• 2 weeks later...

My shelves are a real mixture of fiction, non-fiction, reference books and poetry. I have a passion for social history so there are shelves of read & tbr relating to people and places through time - my main weaknesses in terms of history are WW2, London and New York. I also love poetry so have tons of poetry books - many I just pick up and buy but havent dipped into yet!

Fiction wise I'm happy with a darn good story in most genres as my shelves will show - I actually buy alot of books based on their covers :) so I have all sorts here but they LOOK intriguing.......

• 1 month later...

I have a real mix in my library: classics, Shakespeare, thrillers, fantasy, history books, lots of books about fairies, random fiction, home decor books...a little of everything, I guess.

Not that eclectic, I guess, since 99.9 percent of my books were written by men; around 80 percent of them before 1950 and all of them are big guns—I have few books by little-known authors. But that's because I'm trying to read all the important pre-modern and modern novels before moving on to the contemporary stuff—a semi-chronological approach.

Eek I have just counted by audio books 186! I re listen to these more than re reading the books. Most of my AB;s are fiction I have lots of radio shows and plays too, including old Archers episodes (Remember these?)

Colin, you just gave me a great idea! At first I thought, "Hm, it would be nice to have audio versions of my favorite books to stretch out and listen to," and then I thought of my older sister. She is in training to be a missionary in a remote part of the world, to be determined after these last two years of training. I bet CDs of the Bible, devotionals, and her favorite suspense books would be a lot more compact and fitted to her busy future schedule than shelves of books. Thank you so much! I can't wait to shop for her!:D

Oh, right, the thread. Young as I am, there are still so many books, whole series, that I'd like to have permanently. Mostly my shelves have contemporary fiction geared toward younger people, a handful of nonfiction school books, and classics geared toward young adults. Oh, I have a lot of sheet music thanks to my great aunt Geraldine, but those aren't typical stories one reads cover to cover!

My humble bookshelf consists of following sections:

- contemporary literature - (auto)biographies - classics - books from English literature courses - books from Swedish literature courses - Swedish books - favorite books from childhood/teenage - Anni Polva & Tuija Lehtinen (two Finnish "chick lit" writers) - chick lit - Jewish literature - Stephen King - Patricia Cornwell - crime/thriller - fantasy/sci-fi.

Some sections may be very small but I still consider them sections because, well, they are their own type of literature and because that section may grow in the future. (For example, Jewish literature section consists only of three novels.)

My collection is not as varied as I would like, but I'm slowly but surely working on it. I have quite a bit of historical mysteries, a couple poetry, many genealogy reference books, travel, and the rest consists of specific artist/architect biographies like Waterhouse, Wyatt, Eames, Wright and Saarinen.

• 4 weeks later...

In the recent past I was fascinated by physics. The problem is, i'm terrible at maths and so brought an alegbra and calculus 'teach yourself' books to give me a base understanding of the types of formula I often encounter. I failed to grasp the underlying priniciple in alegbra and never made it onto calculus. Those books still remain with me as do a few classics. I'm introspective by nature and my reading habits tend to mirror this.

Edited by Kell
Inserted ALL the capitals!

I think my library reflects my studies, mostly. I have a lot of language/linguistics books from undergrad, and a LOT of medieval literature and critical theory from my brief stint as a graduate student in English. I also have a shelf devoted to fantasy, and another shelf devoted to classics throughout the ages (with a few contemporary favorites thrown in for good measure). I don't know if this counts as eclectic or not. Probably not too much. :) I do plan on reading more widely in 2009, so maybe my library will become more eclectic with time..