Tess of The D'Urbervilles

Lilywhite

Do you work for the BBC? I have a 'friend' (from another forum) who tried watching in Australia and she got a message saying it was only available in the UK.

Hopefully the BBC will get some kind of worldwide deal.

I don't work for them, no. But as a British person I feel I ought to apologise on behalf of this British institution.

I don't see why this isn't available in non-UK countries, unless it's something silly and bureaucratic to do with the copyright or the broadcasting right of the actual production, or something else I know nothing of. It can't be anything to do with TV licenses because you don't need a TV license to watch stuff on iPlayer. I'd have thought they'd have embraced the opportunity to broaden their viewer base. After all, it is possible to listen to radio stations online from another country, and the BBC World Service is specifically designed for this. Ah well.

I don't work for them, no. But as a British person I feel I ought to apologise on behalf of this British institution.

I don't see why this isn't available in non-UK countries, unless it's something silly and bureaucratic to do with the copyright or the broadcasting right of the actual production, or something else I know nothing of. It can't be anything to do with TV licenses because you don't need a TV license to watch stuff on iPlayer. I'd have thought they'd have embraced the opportunity to broaden their viewer base. After all, it is possible to listen to radio stations online from another country, and the BBC World Service is specifically designed for this. Ah well.

It'll be to do with things like publishing rights and broadcasting rights which are legal thingies, so I'm sure your apology is totally unnecessary, however heartfelt.

I loved this book as a teenager - my Dad had a whole collection of Thomas Hardy books, all leather bound, which he inherited from his own Dad and this was far and away my favourite. Wish I knew what had happened to them.

The book was a lot darker though as I recall, although this dramatisation was good too. The actual rape scene was very understated I thought, and atmospheric with the mist and everything and that Alec character a right :D If I came across a man like that I will kick him in the :) but women back then didn;t have the means or rights to be able to do this unfortunately. How times change.

Looking forward to episode number 2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Angel - did you watch the conclusion? Such a great piece of drama. I was really impressed with Ruth Jones. I've only seen her in Fat Friends (she was great in that) - I'm aware of her role in Gavin and Stacey although I've never seen it. I think her acting as Tess's mother was exceptional and just proves what a great actress she is.

Poor Tess. :welcome2:

I only caught the last 2 episodes (kept forgetting it was on) but I really enjoyed it. Now I want to read the book too. :D

I only saw the first two episodes, so waiting for repeats! Might read the book, I`m told it`s good. :welcome2:

• 2 months later...