A new first line of current book

Nici

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Once upon a time - for that is how all stories should begin - there was a boy who lost his mother." - John Connolly, "The Book Of Lost Things".

^ By page 8 I was in tears. This is going to be an awesome book.

"Not wanting to arouse Vishnu in case he hadn't died yet, Mrs. Asrani tiptoed down to the third step above the landing on which he lived, teakettle in hand." - The Death of Vishnu by Manil Suri

Mr. Utterson the lawyer was a man of a rugged countenance, that was

never lighted by a smile; cold, scanty and embarrassed in

discourse; backward in sentiment; lean, long, dusty, dreary, and

yet somehow lovable.

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Other Stories by Robert Louis Stevenson

I have been arrested. For winning a quiz show.

"Q&A" - Vikas Swarup

Bethany, what're your feelings on this book? I've picked it up a few times (before it was made into the movie, or at least before I knew it'd been made into a movie), but haven't bought it yet.

Bethany, what're your feelings on this book? I've picked it up a few times (before it was made into the movie, or at least before I knew it'd been made into a movie), but haven't bought it yet.

I'm about to page 120 or so, and it is REALLY good so far. The story is broken up into different little "episodes," if you will, and each one is its own little story. The stories are really interesting .. it may not be the "best written" book I've ever read, but it's certainly entertaining and good reading. I'd recommend you pick it up if you see it again since you're interested.. I would think it'd be hard to be bored by it. I'm making my way through it really quickly, and sometimes it's hard to put down.

The studio was filled with the rich colour of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn.

The Picture of Dorian Gray ~by~ Oscar Wilde

The studio was filled with the rich colour of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of lilac, or the more delicate perfume of the pink-flowering thorn.

The Picture of Dorian Gray ~by~ Oscar Wilde

God I've heard that line so many times - I know it off. Wilde described things beautifully.

"A snow-bearded, elderly man is seated at the head of a refectory table, close to a fire, with his head bowed."

The Rose Labyrinth ~by~ Titania Hardie