A new first line of current book

Nici

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If you were to stroll down the candy-cane facade of a suburban housing estate early on Christmas morning, you couldn't help but observe how all the houses in all their tinselled glory are akin to the wrapped parcels that lie beneath the Christmas trees within."

'The Gift' ~by~ Cecelia Ahern

My name is Temperance Deassee Brennan. I'm five-five, feisty, and forty-plus. Multidegreed. Overworked. Underpaid.

Devil Bones ~by~ Kathy Reichs

I just realised that's one of the reasons why I didn't like the Reichs book I had (and sent to frankie). In general I don't like reading books about middle-aged people. I don't know why, I just don't. Especially books of 'lighter' type. Seriously, if the blurb mentiones adult kidds or "married for 20 years" or something like that, I'm putting the book down. Weird.

'She wondered why she was afraid to go home.'

Black Sun Rising - C. S. Friedman.

In case you're wondering why she was afraid to go home -

its because when she gets in the door 5 minutes later her husband will sacrifice her and as a result his soul for the sake of immortality. As you do of a Saturday night. :lol:

Edited by Nollaig

I just realised that's one of the reasons why I didn't like the Reichs book I had (and sent to frankie). In general I don't like reading books about middle-aged people. I don't know why, I just don't. Especially books of 'lighter' type. Seriously, if the blurb mentiones adult kidds or "married for 20 years" or something like that, I'm putting the book down. Weird.

Well you see, when you get to my age she won't seem middle age to you. She seems perfectly acceptable to me ... but then I'm 40 plus! :lol: (plus 4 months anyway :D)

You could do what I do with Tempe Brennan books: just forget that she's older in them and pretend that she's as young as in the tv-series. And ... adopted Katy when she was twelve. And is originally born somewhere where her dear Mom forced her to marry when she was like 7. Yep, that oughta do it.

I think it's about relating to the character. Usually when there's a character that's, well, 40-plus, there's issues like family, as in children and marriage that are dealt with. And those aren't really something I can, or want to, relate to. I'm not into those things.

You could do what I do with Tempe Brennan books: just forget that she's older in them and pretend that she's as young as in the tv-series. And ... adopted Katy when she was twelve. And is originally born somewhere where her dear Mom forced her to marry when she was like 7. Yep, that oughta do it.

*laughs* well, self-deception IS one of my favourite hobbies.

Though the sun was hot on this July morning Mrs Lucas preferred to cover the half-mile that lay between the station and her house on her own feet, and sent on her maid and her luggage in the fly that her husband had ordered to meet her.

Lucia Rising - E. F. Benson

'Rain fell that night, a fine, whispering rain.'

A very short sentence to kick things off.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke.

It was a small cassette, not much bigger than the palm of his hand, and when Mike thought about the terrible license and risk exhibited on the tape, as well as its resultant destructive power, it was as though the two-by-three plastic package had been radioactive.

Quite a long one for me.

Testimony - Anita Shreve