Your favorite book

Kenny

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All those of you who loved Birdsong. I must say, I did enjoy it but of the 'Trilogy', I much preferred the other two, especially 'The Girl from the Lion D'Or' I felt there were too many long war bits in Birdsong (much like Atonement)

Hello everyone this is my first post, so if I do something terrible please tell me.

Favourite book, hmmm, too difficult.

Here's five:

Money - Martin Amis

Under the Volcano - Malcolm Lowry

Disgrace - J.M.Coetzee

The Human Stain - Philip Roth

The Middle of the Journey - Lionel Trilling

Hmmm no women in the list! That makes me seem like one of those terrible men who think women can't write. I love Iris Murdoch, Woolf and Margaret Atwood too before I get any comments, but Oryx and Crake, Mrs Dalloway and The Black Prince just missed the top 5.:)

Nice save there MightyPuma :)

I have Oryx and Crake on my TBR pile and I'm really looking forward to it.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! Feel free to post an intro in the introductions thread.

Nice save there MightyPuma :)

I have Oryx and Crake on my TBR pile and I'm really looking forward to it.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! Feel free to post an intro in the introductions thread.

is TBR to be read pile?

If it is I strongly advise you to promote Oryx and Crake to the top of it. Give it a chance though as it comes across as a bit standard sci-fi until you realise of the complexity and depth of what Atwood is attempting, and I believe manages, to achieve.

Yes it is 'to be read' :)

It's worming it's way to the top of the pile. I have it on my 'priority reading list for 2008' but having just finished another dystopian I thought I'd give myself a bit of space before I get into the next one. Hmm, maybe I'll read it next :tong:

P.S. I love you Cecelia ahern

it is a lovely read I must say

Tess gerritsen vanish that book I cannot put down it's so good and it's well written for a crime book

Exit music Ian rankin the excellent Ian rankin brings out another one of his magical goods in the books about John rebus the detective from edinburgh

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Echo!

I think Nicholas Nickleby is a truly gifted and talented, well thought out piece of literature. I really felt every single emotion that was described and really felt as though I WAS there.

Kids and Teenagers nowadays who don't read really do not know what they are missing when there are such marvellous authors as Dickens (and modern authors) are out there waiting to be discovered and immensely enjoyed. :cry2: (Rant over, before I get carried away again....:roll:)

:)

Kids and Teenagers nowadays who don't read really do not know what they are missing when there are such marvellous authors as Dickens (and modern authors) are out there waiting to be discovered and immensely enjoyed. :) (Rant over, before I get carried away again....:cry2:)

Despite them seeing me with my nose in a book since their birth (and the fact that my current book goes *everywhere* with me, even if I don't get time to read it where I take it) and me encouraging them and buying them any book they show even the most fleeting of glances at, I still can't get either of my two to pick up a book.

So if you have a sure-fire way of making them read then I'd be pleased to hear it!

I have two that I can't decide between- I Know This Much is True- by Wally Lamb and What Looks Like Crazy On An Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage-they were both fantastic

Gone With The Wind is the best book EVER! I'm waiting for a book that can beat it... an I can wait til I turn black.

Yup. :roll: Anyone who doesn't like GWTW is a silly Billy poo-poo head.

lol, absolutely!

I must admit that I've always thought of it that way.

*Hides behind Purple Poppy*

I will see if I can get it from the library after June!

I hope you aren't talking about GWTW here?! :)

Kids and Teenagers nowadays who don't read really do not know what they are missing when there are such marvellous authors as Dickens (and modern authors) are out there waiting to be discovered and immensely enjoyed. :cry2:

Wow, I'm happy I'm not one of these 'kids and teenagers' anymore (though I'm not a teenager). Now that I'm studying literature, I've developed this habit of reading... before that I only used to read books that were highly recommended by someone and took WEEKS and sometimes months to finish the book. I'm seriously glad that I'm faster now and don't only read rubbish...

I agree with you that there is just too much to discover in the 'books-world' that you're missing out on if you're not interested in reading. And it's really a pity cuz even some fictional stories are just so beautiful that you happily wanna live in this kinda world and go on reading.

Do you guys also feel that when you're not reading something for some time, you start missing it? You kinda crave for something good to read and already start imagining yourself with a book in your favourite genre?

English is not my native language and I hope I could make my point clear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd really like to share my favourite books with everyone...if you've read them, or are going to read them, let me know what you think!

1.The Blair Witch Files series- ok, I know this may sound quite cheesy, but I'm obsessed with books which have a slightly eery feel, so these hit the spot perfectly! they're short reads, so they're good if you want something light, but they may be hard to come across since they have apparently gone out of print. I managed to pick a few up in my local library a few years back, but when i attempted to order the missing ones, she told me they no longer had them and they had gone out of print. So, I've been upset since. If creepy, mysterious books are your thing, then get hunting for this series! It's really easy-going, so a nice easy read, just perfect for in-between 'big' books.

2. Enduring love by Ian McEwan-I had to study this book for English Literature in college and completely loved it! I admit that the occasional chapter (mainly nearer the end) dragged slightly, but despite this, I found it a really interesting read. It would be well worth the money (or trip to the library). Although the book is very well written, the film simply didn't do it justice! In an attempt to be quite 'art-house' they pretty much butchered it. The plot was slightly altered too and to be honest, it was a waste of time. If you like more 'real-life' based books you're likely to like this one. Although some of the events (particularly the major one) are quite un-realistic, the general attitude and presentation of the characters is very well done and very realistic.

Ok, I'm going to feel very sad saying this, but i simply have to give J K Rowling a mention. There's been alot of things said by people (particularly teenagers!) about how the Harry Potter books are 'nerdy' and 'stupid' but, to me, they're feel good books. Think 'comfort food' of the literature realm. They may lack some sophistication, but I have to say, I love her style of writing. Whenever I feel a little fed up with the books on offer these days, or I just need something to cheer me up, I head straight for 'Harry Potter and the order of the phoenix'. I also love the authors background story too. To go from having nothing to becoming the person who produced a best-seller is an immense achievement. I say 'Well done Mrs Rowling!'

2. Enduring love by Ian McEwan-I had to study this book for English Literature in college and completely loved it! I admit that the occasional chapter (mainly nearer the end) dragged slightly, but despite this, I found it a really interesting read. It would be well worth the money (or trip to the library). Although the book is very well written, the film simply didn't do it justice! In an attempt to be quite 'art-house' they pretty much butchered it. The plot was slightly altered too and to be honest, it was a waste of time. If you like more 'real-life' based books you're likely to like this one. Although some of the events (particularly the major one) are quite un-realistic, the general attitude and presentation of the characters is very well done and very realistic.

Its interesting that you have mentioned this book. I started it the other day and have given up. I found it dragged from the word go. Maybe one day I'll give it another go but although the storyline seemed great, I found his writing style was very slow

Despite them seeing me with my nose in a book since their birth (and the fact that my current book goes *everywhere* with me, even if I don't get time to read it where I take it) and me encouraging them and buying them any book they show even the most fleeting of glances at, I still can't get either of my two to pick up a book.

So if you have a sure-fire way of making them read then I'd be pleased to hear it!

This is ringing bells! The same has happened with my two as well. I just can't understand what's happened to the reading gene in our family!