Who is your favorite detective/crime fighter?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, like many people, started reading Sherlock Holmes stories at a young age, though my taste quickly moved to the hardboiled work of the holy trinity of Thompson, Hammett and Chandler. Somehow managing to bypass the Euro-'tecs, I only recently got into the mood and feel of Italian and French detectives thanks to giallo films and weird French cop shows, but I have a lot of reading to do before I could even begin to pretend to know enough about the European scene.

Guilty reading pleasure: E.C.'s Crime Does Not Pay. Seriously, this comic is one of the best of the pre-code era, and I have to say that without it I doubt my love of the crime genre would have been sustained. Not exactly what people would call proper reading material, but much better than the naysayers would have you imagine.

Guest velocipede2288

Phillip Marlow,

Sam Spade.

Mike Hammer.

Columbo.

Perry Mason.

Nero Wolfe.

Morse.

Rebus.

Dalziel and Pasco.

Carella.

In just about that order.

Edited by Kell
Bolding removed - AGAIN!

Guest velocipede2288

I would like to recommend crime lovers try reading the novels of John Creasey, who sometimes wrote under the name of J.J. Marric. The novels I refer to are the Gideon series.No other author since Dickens has done more to show London in all its many aspects. The books are more than than just police procedures, but a vivid slice of London. And probably the best portrait of a good tough policeman.

progress.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Porfiry Petrovich, the detective in Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, is really one of the more original detectives ever created.

Acting on a hunch, he plays subtle and not so subtle psychological games with Raskolnikov to confirm that Raskolnikov did indeed commit murder, and then continues to guide the student toward a confession.

Columbo, the TV detective, is based directly on Porfiry Petrovich.

Also: B