Slow Cookers

Guest jake

Not yet - we still have the semi-working cooker at the moment. Fortunately, the grill still works, as does the hob, & I have both a microwave & a slow cooker too. The oven does still work - it just takes everyhting longer coz it won't get as hot - LOL!

I had a slow cooker one time, but it never got out the box. I'm not exactly Nigella when it comes to cooking. We usually eat courtesy of 'Lord Sainsbury' and M&S !!

What is a slow cooker?

I honestly am not sure how they work! I think you put your 'stuff' in it and cook it over a number of hours. Mine was never out the box.

They're excellent for doing things like soups or chillis - I did a roast beef ni it the other week & it was delicious!

Do you just bung everything in and leave it for a few hours?

Basically, yup. Mine came with a booklet with recipes in it too, so I could get a handle on how to use it. I did a gorgeous rice pudding in it the other week - scrumptious!

The rillettes are excellent, by the way, but not quite right. I think there's not enough fat in them, peculiarly. Cooking was very simple. Just render down cubed pork belly with a bit of garlic and seasoning in a pot for a very long time on a long temperature, then shred the pork and allow it to set in its own fat. Mmmmmm!

• 9 months later...

I'm after some help.. we've just bought a slow cooker, but I don't really know how to get the most out of it. I need some recipie ideas etc, but I need really simple instuctions, because I'm not a good cook. Also, I have a very fussy family, so the ingredients need to be pretty basic.

Not asking much, am I....? :D

LOL - I got one for Xmas last year, but I've hardly used it! It came with a small booklet of recipes - does yous not have something with it like that?

in the meantime, there's a couple of handy sites full of recipes here and here.

You can definitely do a joint in there - it's the thing I've used it for most often. Just seal the joint in a pan (takes just a moment), then bung it in the slow cooker with a little water (just a very small amount). Stick it on low & you can leave it while you're a t work. My beef joints have always been very juicy & tender when they're done & you can use the water, which will have the meat juices, for gravy - delicious!

Everything I've read has said not to used frozen ingredients...

I've decided the only thing I can do is experiment.. we did the beef in there on Sunday, but it wasn't much better than the oven. Maybe hubby isn't choosing the bests cuts of meat? I also made the mistake of part boiling the carrots before chucking them in, so they were a bit soggy! LOL

Today, I've put in onions, carrots and leek, then a couple of chicken quarters. My friend said that boned chicken does much better than fillet. I've only half covered it with water.. anyone know if that's right?

Everything I've read has said not to used frozen ingredients...

I've decided the only thing I can do is experiment.. we did the beef in there on Sunday, but it wasn't much better than the oven. Maybe hubby isn't choosing the bests cuts of meat? I also made the mistake of part boiling the carrots before chucking them in, so they were a bit soggy! LOL

Today, I've put in onions, carrots and leek, then a couple of chicken quarters. My friend said that boned chicken does much better than fillet. I've only half covered it with water.. anyone know if that's right?

that may even be too much water. All you need is a bit...see how it turns out this time, then you'll be able to figure it out better the next time.