Slow Cookers

Guest jake

All I did was buy 2 chicken breast quarters.. I sprinkled on a little chicken seasoning, then quickly browned it off in the frying pan. I put carrots, leaks and onions in the bottom, laid in the chicken, then poured in some 'chicken casserole' packet mix. Simple and yummy! :)

Hi Michelle

Great topic...

Unfortunately I can not cook - at all, but my sister is a chef so I will get some receipes from her and post them.

:)

• 7 months later...
What is a slow cooker?

One of the brand names is Crock Pot.

I think it's a thick ceramic, a pot that has two settings: low and high, the intent is to cook things over a longer period of time so the flavors can really do it right.

Like someone else said in this thread: it's great for stews and soups. However you can use coffee cans and make bread in a slow cooker!

There are a lot of fairly elaborate recipes and it can get pretty fancy - but for me, I like the "ease of use" part, toss in a bunch of the things you like for a strew and cook it over night on low. It can double as a fondue pot, melt some cheese for dip perhaps.

Just know you usually want something fairly hardy (like roots) if you want to cook veggies - carrots, corn, potatoes, hominy that sorta deal. Broccoli just turns into mush over 8 hours of slow boil.

My current dinner that is now in my slow cooker --

I chopped up some garlic cloves,

added some thin sliced pork,

added a small can of green chiles,

added half a can of hominy,

some whole mushrooms,

added chicken broth until the pot was about 3/4 full -- set it on low; I've been eating it for the past two days. Now that's pretty darn easy - they stress that you don't lift the lid or stir it.

Just....walk....away....

However you can use coffee cans and make bread in a slow cooker!

I'm intrigued by this Wrath - tell me more.

I use mine to cook the Christmas pudding - it's foolproof as it doesn't dry out and you can leave it to cook over night. Slow cooker's are also brilliant for when you're working and you want your food to be ready when you return - because they cook slowly you can leave them on while you're at work.