George Gissing

littlemissKM

Just wanted to recommend this highly underrated late Victorian novelist. As a massive Orwell fan, I've been reading Gissing's New Grub Street based on Orwell's recommendation: "England has produced very few better novelists".

I think Gissing's style (New Grub Street is gritty realism at its best, looking at the struggles and poverty behind the London publishing and writing circle of the time) is ahead of its time, a precursor to the sort of social commentary we see in George Orwell's books a few decades later.

Anyway - just wondered if other people had read the book and enjoyed it as much as me!

LittlemissKM

I haven't read New Grub Street but found The Odd Women by him a good read - basically it's a comment on the position of women in the 19th century.

It was a shelving find as I hadn't heard of him myself until I had to put the book away - of course it didn't make to the shelf as I put it to one side to read instead!

I'm sorry, this is completely off-topic, but every time I read that topic I read it incorrectly as "George kissing" and thing "oooh, Clooney? Cool! He's hot!" And then I'm utterly disappointed. *goes to get some chocolate*

I've only read one Orwell book - Animal Farm, and that twice. Never managed to get into 1984 but it's on Mount TBR. Course, I'm speaking as if those are the only two books he ever wrote!

I actually started 1984 once but something happened and I didn't finish it. Probably had something to do with buying shoes. It was good, though, and I'm planning on returning to it some day.

Pathetic. :friends0:

I object.

• 5 weeks later...

I am looking forward to reading New Grub Street. I have intended to get a copy for a while, and it has about made it now to the top of the list for future book purchases. Like many of us, a long list...

Road to Wigan Pier must be one of Geroge Orwell's lesser known books?

A pity because it is an excellent read.