Real people/places/events in fiction that you know or experienced.

The easiest way to explain it is to give my example.

One of the themes in John Irving's Until I find You is tattooing. Many of the tattooists mentioned are real people. One of those mentioned as being one of the best in the world is Les Skuse who had a place in Mina Road in Bristol. I went to school with his grandson.

Anyone got any others?

I agree with Eddie, I thought it was a really good book. I know the cover is not exciting, but the book itself is. I was gripped. I would give it 8/10

I like Ian Rankin's Rebus novels as I've been to a lot of the places mentioned. When I watch the TV programmes I jump up and down and point at the tellybox saying, "I've been there! I've drunk in that pub!"

I like Ian Rankin's Rebus novels as I've been to a lot of the places mentioned. When I watch the TV programmes I jump up and down and point at the tellybox saying, "I've been there! I've drunk in that pub!"

They are great aren't they? We should have a poll to see which one is most popular. For me it would be Resurrection Men.

There have been a couple of films recently that have had the Old Royal Naval College in them, for example The Golden Compass - up until this week it was my university campus! In fact, on Tuesday they were constructing a new set, looked quite impressive. The site has also been used in M&S adverts

There have been a couple of films recently that have had the Old Royal Naval College in them, for example The Golden Compass - up until this week it was my university campus! In fact, on Tuesday they were constructing a new set, looked quite impressive. The site has also been used in M&S adverts

In Greenwich?

I used to live very near there - I remember Elton John having a birthday party there and the fireworks were great, could see them from my bedroom window :welcome2:

I didn't know it was part of the uni now, I knew Devonport (I think that's right) is and remember when that was a residence for the hospital, one of my mates lived there. Cool place it was too

If anyone here went to Wolverhampton Polytechnic University and has ever read Howard Jacobson's 'Coming from Behind' they will see some rather uncanny similarities. As an ex-member of staff at the place I can confirm it really is that crazy. :welcome2:

Edited by Welshman

In Greenwich?

I used to live very near there - I remember Elton John having a birthday party there and the fireworks were great, could see them from my bedroom window :welcome2:

I didn't know it was part of the uni now, I knew Devonport (I think that's right) is and remember when that was a residence for the hospital, one of my mates lived there. Cool place it was too

Yep in Greenwich. It is a beautiful site for a uni, and very cool as I did a history degree! Greenwich Park opposite was also the location for Layer Cake

Much of the setting of the book Snow Falling on Cedars is based on my hometown, where the author, David Guterson, lives and teaches. We have a large Japanese-American population there, and the dynamics of the mixing cultures in the 1940's and 1950's is very well-represented in the book.

Stuart Macbride's books are set in Aberdeen, so I recognise the locations (such as the pub where all the coppers drink - my sister used to work there; and the lead character appears to live in my old flat on Marischal Street!).

They also have a Sherlock Holmes Museum at Mr Holmes' home on Baker Street. :motz:

In the most recent Stuart MacBride novel (Flesh House), two real people bid a large amount of money to become victims in the book. The money was donated to charity.

It must be such a kick to be killed off by a really good crime writer! :D

Nearby Dover Castle - numerous films, documentaries, live ghost hunting.................

Burley's Inspector Wycliffe novels - so many places throughout Cornwall, pubs that we have drunk in. Watched some filming of Heartbeat in Whitby, drank in their pub at Goathland.

Today, Tiger was watching the zoo series ROAR being filmed at Howletts with presenter Matt.

Watched some filming of Heartbeat in Whitby, drank in their pub at Goathland.

We've had a drink in there too and a nosey round Scripp's garage :D stunning scenery I love it round there, spent many a holiday when I was younger on my uncle's farm in that area.

Sadly no we were staying in a village a few miles down the road so we drove there, parked up and had a good mooch round. We did shop in the Post Office come grocery store and bought a few bits and pieces.

Jules - the village is lovly. Did you get there by the steam train? Last time we went on that, it was being filmed for the Harry Potter film! As the Hogwarts express (an ariel shot)

Oh I went there by the steam train years ago. I think it left from Pickering.

It was a very pretty place, with sheep wandering about all over the place.

I think it is my favourite part of Britain, I have lots of fantastic memories of the Yorkshire Dales and Whitby.

Peter Robinson's Caedmon's Song is set in Whitby. The descriptions make it sound a place worth visiting. And Count Dracula is said to have landed in England there. I believe it's one of the Goth's favourite haunts. Pun intended.