Time Travel

Sedge

I've decided to dedicate my remaining 42 years (75 years old is about average for my family) to building a collection of books with a time-travel theme.

I'll be including the obvious (anything Doctor Who related), but does anybody else have any recommendations?

Thanks!:smile2:

Lightning by Dean Koontz - it's my favourite Koontz and one of my all-time favourite books. Very cleverly written and even manages to avoid paradox!

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - engrossing, beautiful and dark in place. Very unusual premise and very deftly handled.

Somewhere in Time by Richard Matheson - a love story that spans decades. I've never actually read the book, but I loved the film (starring Chritopher Reeve and Jane Seymor).

Edited by Kell

There's one I like (not Dr Who! :smile2:) but I can't remember what it was called. It's about this girl who trips on these stepping stones in the grass in a clearing in some woods, and when she stands up she's gone back in time 50 years. It was very good. If I remember what it was called, I'll tell you.

Oh, you've just reminded me of Diana Gabaldon's books: Cross Stitch, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross and A Breath of Snow and Ashes.

The Ghosts by Antonia Barber - filmed as The Amazing Mr Blunden.

Unfortunately it's out of print now, but if you manage to get hold of a copy, and don't mind reading a children's book, it's an absolutely beautiful story. :smile2:

Are you including young adult books? If so, I'll add Warriors of Camlann and Warriors of Alavna by N.M. Browne to your list.

I know The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde has a small element of time-travel in it, but I haven't read the rest of the series so I'm not sure if it's something that is explored more in future books. Maybe someone else could shed some more light on whether they're worth pursuing.

I found one on my bookshelf last night that I'd forgotten about:

Time's Eye by Arthur C Clarke

It's the first of a trilogy (the last one is due out later this year), but you don't need to read them all; this one can work as a standalone, albeit with a lot of questions left unanswered.

Thanks for all the suggestions! In answer to Mia's question, I'm including ANY book with the theme.

I'll soon be going on a hunting expedition armed with a list of all your tips - I'll let you know how my collection gets on.:welcome2:

Has anyone mentioned the books about Green Knowe? Can't for the life of me remember the author. They might not even be in print any longer!

Oh! Oh!

*jumps up and down all excited, like*

One of my FAVOURITEST children's books ever - TOM'S MIDNIGHT GARDEN by Philippa Pearce.

Oh! Oh!

*jumps up and down all excited, like*

One of my FAVOURITEST children's books ever - TOM'S MIDNIGHT GARDEN by Philippa Pearce.

That's also one of Mrs Sedge's favourites!

Keep 'em coming! (I'm also including non-fiction.):welcome2: