Your Reading Year So Far

I'm having an unusual reading year. Firstly, I've used the library and so am finding authors I may not have read otherwise. Secondly; I'm still off work and so would have thought I'd read more, I haven't really as I fall asleep so much more easily due to the painkillers so am reading little bits at a time and having to re-visit.

Mostly the way the year is unusual is that I've only read British authors this year. It's strange but oddly good. I'm seeing how long I can last

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv also read authors which I thought I never would or which I hadnt heard about, its great to get away from chit lit for a bit and try new genres :D Im just scared I wont want to read chit lit again and I have 30 odd chit lits on my TBR pile :welcome2:

Now I just need to tackle some chunky reads then I'll be very satifised :lol:

I've read 6 so far and that's good going for me because I read very slowly and have little time to read generally. Si far I have read:

My Booky Wook by Russell Brand

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Prestige by Christopher Priest

The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

I have just started The Book Thief so I look forward to discussing that later.

"After the Funeral" Agatha Christie,"Vampire Hunter D (Vol2) Raiser of Gales" Hideyuki Kikuchi,"The Secret" Rhonda Byrne.

"Hannibal" Thomas Harris, "Resurrection Men" and "Let it Bleed" Ian Rankin, "The Bookseller of Kabul" Asne Seierstad, "The Lord of the Flies" William Golding, "The Danger" Dick Francis and "Dracula" Bram Stoker.

Hannibal was a magnificent read, as was Dracula, really enjoyed both of them.

I'm pretty impressed with my reading also... I usually read A LOT in the winter/fall months and not so much in summer/spring, but I know this year that is going to change because I will be able to read and be outside at the same time. :D (I now have a balcony!)

I've had an extremely busy year too so the fact that I've read at least 4 books per month so far (except May, which isn't over yet) lets me pat myself on the back.

Highlights include:

How to Talk About Books You Haven't Read by Pierre Bayard

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Four Letter Word ed. by Joshua Knelman

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami

[quote name=thelastwatcher33;145689

"Hannibal" Thomas Harris' date='

Hannibal was a magnificent read, as was Dracula, really enjoyed both of them.[/quote]

I read that last year, and enjoyed it.

I haven't read anything but textbooks this year yet. I have just started reading for pleasure again, and am reading Atonement. This must be a record for me.

But........watch this space :friends0:

I have just finished doing my BA Hons in History so the books I have been reading this year have been History and academic books. As much as I love History, I am really looking forward now to getting loads of novels that have been on my bookcase read at last!

• 2 years later...

This time last year I had read 58 books and listened to 13, this year I've read 44 and listened to 8 :( ... bother!!

I'm at 28 compared to 55. :( I posted somewhere around here that I was going to try to be more disciplined with my reading this year. :rolleyes:

Poppyshake, Kylie :friends0: I hope things'll pick up for you guys!

I haven't compared how many books I've read more/less than last year this time, but I think I'm at about the same stage. I can still reach my goal of 120 books this year, I think I'm one book ahead at this point. What's great is that I've managed to read a lot of quality books this year, going by my ratings:

1/5: 2

2/5: 3

3/5: 14

4/5: 17

5/5: 14

Only five books I didn't particularly enjoy, and 14 books that got top rating! I don't even know how that's happened.

This time last year I had read just 9 books, but this year I am half through my 13th, so I guess you could say that I have read more. I think this is due to a number of factors - firstly I have had more holidays (Avenury in January, Lundy in February, Glastonbury last month), and also the fact that I have changed my working hours and have more time free in the afternoons.

I realise though that for many members of this site, 13 books seems like a relatively low number, but they have all been very good and thought provoking books, both fiction and non fiction. At the start of the year I set myself the goal of reading books set in or written by authors from at least a dozen different countries and I am well on track to achieve that, with 9 so far (Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Japan, Ireland, US, UK, India, and currently reading one set in and by a Saudi woman). So far 4 of the books I have read have been non fiction (3 travelogues and 1 religious/philsophical) and 9 fiction.

The best book by far has been Independent People by Icelandic author the late Halldor Laxness. I guess you would have to have been to Iceland or at least know about the history to really understand the characters in this book, and I am lucky to have been there 6 times now. For me, the descriptions of the scenery and the characters and the hardships they face gives a real insight into the Icelandic soul and the hardship that the Icelandic farmers faced at the turn of the 20th Century. It is also though a tale of redemption and compassion and how pride comes very much before a fall.

I'm at 28 compared to 55. I posted somewhere around here that I was going to try to be more disciplined with my reading this year.

Me too and I can't think what's happened. I've moved house and lot's of things need doing but tbh .. I'm not the one having to do them and if anything it's given me more time to read because sometimes there's no electricity and I'm just sitting on a raft in the middle of a pile of mess .. there's two things you can do in that situation ... :weeping: or :readingtwo::lol: The very best of luck for the rest of the year Kylie .. go on girl, you can do it :yahoo:

Poppyshake, Kylie :friends0: I hope things'll pick up for you guys!

I haven't compared how many books I've read more/less than last year this time, but I think I'm at about the same stage. I can still reach my goal of 120 books this year, I think I'm one book ahead at this point. What's great is that I've managed to read a lot of quality books this year, going by my ratings:

1/5: 2

2/5: 3

3/5: 14

4/5: 17

5/5: 14

Only five books I didn't particularly enjoy, and 14 books that got top rating! I don't even know how that's happened.

Thanks Frankie :friends0: and well done you for keeping on track. An interesting viewpoint as well about your ratings .. just looked mine up

6/10: 1

7/10: 12

8/10: 14

9/10: 18

10/10: 7

A mixed bag by the look of it with only a few cherries in it :D

This time last year I had read just 9 books, but this year I am half through my 13th, so I guess you could say that I have read more. I think this is due to a number of factors - firstly I have had more holidays (Avenury in January, Lundy in February, Glastonbury last month), and also the fact that I have changed my working hours and have more time free in the afternoons.

Well done June :) that's what I need .. a good holiday to catch up on my reading (just off to propose it to hubby :D)