Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Guest Anonymous

I remember reading it when it was released, but the magic never quite worked with me. I found the narrative heavy and tedious and got lost in the middle of it. It took me forever to go through the thousand pages and I flew over the last chapter and don

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I loved this book although it is quite heavy going, I am just debating whether to read it again. I really liked the mix of magic and real life in the bits about the wars etc. I have not really come across that before until recently I have read the 'Temeraire' series by Naomi Novak which is about using dragons during the napoleonic wars instead of aircraft - really good books and lot easier to read.

• 4 weeks later...

This is one of the most haunting, beautiful and gripping books I've read!! I'm dying for Susanna Clark to write more! It is a big read, and i can see why some people would not enjoy it so much, but for me it was one of those books where you feel as if you are consuming the story, rather than reading it!

I read it a few years ago now and still get flashes of scenes from the book that are very vivid. The only other books that have done that for me are The Little Friend by Donna Tartt and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

I'd say, if you like fairy stories and fantasy told in a complex grown up way then keep going, otherwise it might not be your thing!

• 4 weeks later...
I loved this book although it is quite heavy going, I am just debating whether to read it again. I really liked the mix of magic and real life in the bits about the wars etc. I have not really come across that before until recently I have read the 'Temeraire' series by Naomi Novak which is about using dragons during the napoleonic wars instead of aircraft - really good books and lot easier to read.

Ooh, I've just borrowed 'Temeraire' from the library.

Just thought I'd say; I'm just over half way through this at the moment and really loving it :lol:

I bought it on the recommendation of this thread and am very grateful for it :)

Glad you're enjoying it :), it's one of the best books I've ever read. There's going to be a film, I don't know if I'm happy about that or not.

I'm glad you enjoyed it FrugalMule! Susanna Clarke wrote another book called The Ladies of Grace Adieu, which is a collection of short stories, some of which are set in the same world. I think Strange and Norrell may even make an appearance. :irked:

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided that if I'm ever able to give this one a chance, it may work better as an audiobook. That means I can just sit and listen, even when tired, and I'm less likely to give up on it.

I shall let you know if I make any progress. :D

[i'm already on the audible monthly scheme, and I was surprised to find that it's available for just one credit, even though the cost is over

I've decided that if I'm ever able to give this one a chance, it may work better as an audiobook. That means I can just sit and listen, even when tired, and I'm less likely to give up on it.

I shall let you know if I make any progress. :D

[i'm already on the audible monthly scheme, and I was surprised to find that it's available for just one credit, even though the cost is over

• 5 weeks later...

Hey everybody,

I saw Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell a few days ago in a bookshop. It grabbed my attention because its foreword was written by Neil Gaiman who highly praises the book and who is one of my favourite authors. So I wondered if any of you have read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and would recommend it. The story, from what I've read on the back, sounds interesting enough. I thought it would be a nice book to bring along for my Interrail trip with my friends in July (a long, interesting book for many hours in a train;)) - moreover, we'll spent most of our time in England, maybe even in towns where the story takes place.

If, however, the book is boring, I'll have to force my way through it or buy on my way another one, which will make my backpack even heavier...

So it would be nice to hear what you think about the novel.

Thanks in advance,

Turin

Edited by Michelle
merged - please search

Hi Turin :lol:

I read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell a few years ago so although i can't remember a lot of the storyline i do know that i really enjoyed it. It's one of those books that's hard to put down because you get so involved in the story so i'd definitely recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished and adored this book. Just read back over my own posts on page 9 and am embarrassed that I read the first half the of the book in three days back in January, and the last quarter over the last week (Friday-Monday not withstanding as I was away) now in June. I didn't read any of it in March, April or May. Which is terrible. Anyway. I technically read the book in a couple of weeks :D

I can't praise it highly enough. I loved absolutely everything about it, and want to go back and start reading it again, but that wouldn't be very fair to my massive TBR pile. The characters are fantastic. I love Childermass. Does anyone else love Childermass? I don't know why I like him, I just do. And the gentleman with the thistledown hair, who I always imagine to look like a silver-haired Newton Faulkner. Norrell and Strange themselves are the most wonderfully complex and well developed characters.

I would highly recommend that people go to jonathanstrange.com and check out the extras on there - particularly in the links section where there is a 47 page seminar by a bunch of people including the author on various themes/points of execution in the novel (setting, the narrator, writing style, allusions etc). I'm still only reading it but it's very interesting. It layers the novel wonderfully. If nothing else, go read the 'themes', 'style' and 'genre' sections on the Wikipedia page -nice short discussions which articulate better than I ever could why this book is so epic.

I also see on Wikipedia that Susanna Clarke is working on a sequel of sorts, set a few years later and focussing on those 'lower on the social scale', the likes of Childermass and Vinculus. Squee!! I must also get my mits on The Ladies Of Grace Adieu.

This now is the sort of 'The Hobbit' toe-in-the-water kind of book which, even with its 1000 pages doesn't begin to cover everything it could. There's a whole world in there and, though it won't happen, I would be perfectly happy if Clarke churned out another couple of 1000 page installments!

• 8 months later...

I have just finished reading this novel. WOW, quite a doorstep. I had been meaning to read this book for quite a while, and feel good that I managed to. I liked the story,loved the descriptions of old England, loved the characters, which are so so real (Yes Nollaig, I loved Childermass), but have a problem with the ending. It felt so unfinished. Reading through this thread I noticed that some people actually prefered the untidy ending of this book, to a neater 'finished' one, so it is a matter of opinion, however I would have preferred the author to wrap things up a little more.

• 1 year later...

I'm starting this one now, thanks for a couple of recommendations on here. ;) It's a book that seems to divide a lot of people, with some thinking that it's so slow and boring, and others loving the old-fashioned writing style and feel. I'm only a few pages in so nothing has really happened yet, but I do quite like the way it is written. It is a massive book though, so I'm a bit intimidated. :hide:

I hope you enjoy it, Bobblybear! It's one of my all time favourite reads. It took me a few months to get through it, because I stopped for a few weeks and didnt read it at all. I was afraid of picking it back up in case I couldn't get back into it, but despite its massive size, I found most of it had stuck with me quite well, and it was easy to slip back into it. I also found myself reading 100 pages at a time and wondering how I had gotten through so much, as I was totally absorbed. I loved the writing style, and the illustrations, I think it's a beautiful book. :D Let us know what you think!

Hope you get on ok with it Bobbly :smile: The beginning is the most difficult in a way .. so much to take on board but so rewarding :smile: I loved it and so did my husband .. so much so that he's painting a picture inspired by it :smile: I hope one day to post it here .. if he ever finishes it (I do keep giving him jobs like installing bathrooms and stuff so partly my fault :D)

• 1 year later...

Wow, this post hasn't been updated for a while!!!

Just seen the press release about the BBC adaptation: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/jonathan-strange-mr-norrell-bbc-one-casting-release.html  Loved the book, but not sure about a television adaptation, although at least it's a seven part series, so they've given themselves time to tell the story.

Oh Claire thanks :friends0: ..  that is wonderful news :boogie: I'm so excited .. or am I? :hide: .. I'm a bit too scared to look at the cast list .. but now I do I can't see anything to worry me :D This should be brilliant .. in theory :D .. and, as you say, seven parts is a good sign (as long as they are an hour long .. they cut up one of the Dickens adaptations into half hour slots .. not good.) I was hoping Susanna had pulled her finger out and written the sequel but perhaps she will be reminded about it now the adaptation is on its way :D GET A MOVE ON SUSANNA!! :giggle:  

Hmmm .. Alan still hasn't finished that picture though so he can't say anything about how long she's taking :D  

It doesn't say now long the episodes will be, which is really annoying!!! I'm hoping it's hour long instalments too.  Eddie Marsen is usually excellent in everything he does, and he also generally has a good eye for projects, so I'm hoping this is a good sign. :D

When I read through the last few posts on the thread, I did chuckle to see Alan was painting a picture after being inspired on it, and I did wonder if he'd ever finished it :giggle2:

You're right though, GET A MOVE ON SUSANNA!!!!  :theboss: 

It doesn't say now long the episodes will be, which is really annoying!!! I'm hoping it's hour long instalments too.  Eddie Marsen is usually excellent in everything he does, and he also generally has a good eye for projects, so I'm hoping this is a good sign. :D

When I read through the last few posts on the thread, I did chuckle to see Alan was painting a picture after being inspired on it, and I did wonder if he'd ever finished it :giggle2:

You're right though, GET A MOVE ON SUSANNA!!!!  :theboss: 

I love Eddie Marsen .. he's brilliant (have a feeling I will actually like Norrell .. if Eddie is playing him :blush2:) I was looking up the actor who is to play Jonathan .. Bertie Carvel (I don't know him) and somewhere on his website it said the episodes will be an hour long :boogie: They haven't started filming yet so I guess we won't be seeing it for a while .. something to look forward to :smile: 

I mentioned the painting to Alan today Claire and he said it's all under control :giggle: (hope he doesn't try to do a trade-off with my part in the bargain being having to read the dreaded CBTD :D)

I have seen this before in charity shops. Think it might be up my street. Loads of copies of it for 1p on Amazon as well

It would be the best penny you've ever spent VF .. guaranteed (or your money back :giggle:) I'm sure it will be up your street .. I think it's up everyone's street .. or it should be if they know what's good for them :D 

Yay! How exciting. :D It has almost been 10 years since the book was published (and so nearly 10 years since I read it!) I think a re-read might be in order. Seeing as they're only just about to start filming, I guess I have plenty of time.

And yes, where *is* that sequel?!

VF, you should definitely read it! That 1p would be the best penny you ever spent! What value for money!