Taster Chapters: Do You or Don't You?

Karen1

A couple of the books I've read recently have had the first chapter of the author's new book at the end as a little taster of what's to come and I was just wondering how many people actually read them.

I admit that I used to, but recently I haven't been doing so mainly because I've found that occasionally the taster chapters have been so good that I've wanted to keep reading (which is obviously the whole point) but of course not having the full book means I can't do so which is frustrating...especially if the book hasn't even been released yet, so now I've stopped reading them.

But what about you? If there is a taster chapter or an exclusive extract at the end of your current book, do you read it and why?

I dont read them, they annoy me at times as I feel they rob me of the end of my book. I think 'must be a good 20 pages to go...' then turn the page to find the end of my book and the taster chapter.

If I liked the book I would be tempted to get look for more by the same author but I dont read the tasters as I know I would want to read on.

Kx

I try not to because if I get interested, I will rush out and buy the book and I am trying to be really good this weather:D

If I'm interested enough, and if it's a series, I sometimes will read the sample chapter included in the book. It sort of whets my appetite for the next book!

they annoy me at times as I feel they rob me of the end of my book. I think 'must be a good 20 pages to go...' then turn the page to find the end of my book and the taster chapter.

I totally agree with this being annoying, but I do always read them! Not always as soon as I finish the book - sometimes I go back to them - but I do read them. It's nice to get a glimpse of the next book for free.

I don't recall any of my books having taster chapters, but I would probably read them if they did. It may sound weird, but I wouldn't feel as though I'd really finished the book until I'd read everything. Some of my books have reader guides and author interviews at the end, and until I've read all of them and the introduction (even if I'm not that interested), I can't consider a book 'finished'.

I read them if it is an author who I like and have read quite a bit of their work and will more then likely enjoy another book by. You know, the type of author who writes a book and although you want to know what happens, you want the book to never end....

If I have not been that impressed by the book I have just read, then no, I won't bother to read the taster(s).

:readingtwo:

I finished a book today (Exit Strategy by Kelley Armstrong) which featured the opening chapter of another of her books (Bitten) that I'd already read (it's the first in the other series). So this time I didn't have to worry about reading the extra chapter, as I already know the book very well ;):readingtwo:

I used to but for the same reason's Karen mentioned in the first post, I don't want to get hooked on a story I don't have full access to. That's so annoying. Or a prefer to read a book from the start rather than skipping a few chapters because I've already read them in another book.

It may sound weird, but I wouldn't feel as though I'd really finished the book until I'd read everything. Some of my books have reader guides and author interviews at the end, and until I've read all of them and the introduction (even if I'm not that interested), I can't consider a book 'finished'.

That doesn't sound weird to me. I even read the pages that have nothing but those one line review things on too. Like you unless I read everything I don't feel as if it's finished...although I'm trying not to read literally everything from now on.

• 6 years later...

I don't normally read taster chapters / excerpts / sample chapters / Kimples. I sometimes will flick through them, or briefly read bits of them, but I don't normally read the whole thing, because this will really want to make me read the book and unless it's a Kindle book, I can't start reading it straight away (often I'm also already busy in another book). It's good that they're there though when I want to have a quick overview of what the writing style is like and such.

I don't really read samples...I don't know why. I would rather just buy the book. Doesn't make much sense I know, but I suppose sometimes a book can take a long time to hook you in, and you wouldn't get that from the sample. Also, just because a first chapter is great, doesn't mean the rest of the book will be. There have been many books which I have started off really loving, but then they just fall flat by the end. :wacko:  And then sometimes, you need to finish a book and have the whole story, before you can really appreciate it.

Sometimes I read them, sometimes not, but usually not. If I want to try a sample chapter of a book then it's easy enough to just download a sample to my Kindle or use the search inside facility. I very rarely buy a book without doing that at least, not unless it's part of a series anyway, and I have read all the previous ones.  

I always read them. :giggle2:   Can't help myself, just gotta read what is there. 

I don't think I have a single book with a taster in them. Is that a thing more common in e-books? 

Not more common, I think.....but I've mostly seen them in paperbacks.  Probably because when a book in a series goes to paperback, the next in the series is probably coming out, and they want to hook the reader.  Isn't it usually a year between initial hardback and paperback editions?

Edited by pontalba

Not more common, I think.....but I've mostly seen them in paperbacks.  Probably because when a book in a series goes to paperback, the next in the series is probably coming out, and they want to hook the reader.  Isn't it usually a year between initial hardback and paperback editions?

From what I've noticed, it's usually a few months up to a year (with a few exceptions where the book is released in paperback only or where there are paperbacks straight away). Some publishers are quicker than others. I find a year is such a long wait.. but I do want the smaller paperback :(.

What is nice, too, is that when the paperback has come out, the hardback usually has many second hand copies available at a cheaper rate than the paperback!  Oddness, in a way. 

I think you are right.....not always a year, many times less.  Back in the Stone Age, it was almost always a year.  But everything is faster nowadays. heh

I almost only buy paperback because they are much cheaper, but I can't remember the last time there was a taster in them. Even in series. Maybe the Swedish publishers that translates books chooses not to have them in there?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...