The Rights of the Readers - Daniel Pennac

Louiseog

• 1 year later...

Well, this is a classic to me, I was surprised not to find it in the forum so I thought I might share:

THE RIGHTS OF THE READER by Daniel Pennac

1. The right not to read

2. The right to skip

3. The right not to finish a book

4. The right to read it again

5. The right to read anything

6. The right to mistake a book for real life

7. The right to read anywhere

8. The right to dip in

9. The right to read out loud

10. The right to be quiet

I especially love the right number 3! I know many people who feel terribly guilty leaving a book unfinished, but I never feel obliged at all to finish a book I don't like... Why should I spend my time on that one when there are thousands of better books waiting to be read?? Besides, I always like to think it is not entirely my fault, had the author done a better job, I would have been more than happy to finish it! hahahah ;)

So, what about you? Do you have a "favourite" right or one you use very often? Or else one you don't agree about? Please share :irked:

V.

PS: You can also find a cute illustrated poster here.

• 9 months later...

Have any of you read the book these "rights of the reader" came in? The title is Comme un Roman in french, The rights of the reader in english

I love these and I love Daniel Pennac so I really want to get hold of it... but I have a huge dilemna :D The thing is the french editions are boring whereas in the UK you have a translation illustrated by Quentin Blake!

Would it be a sacrilege to read the translation rather than the original (in my own language) just to get the nice book and illustrations? :lol: I really enjoy Pennac's writing style and I'm afraid it wont come through in the translation.

If you've read it have you found the translation good? Are there many illustrations or just the cover and a couple drawings inside?