Audiobooks?

Michelle

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings radio plays are wearing out now

Somewhere I have got a box set of records for The Hobbit. I used to love them and listen to them non-stop. Sadly, I no longer have a record player, but one day I'll get someone to put them onto CDs for me.

This might be a good one to bump up, for our newer members to take a look, and comment on. :lol:

Thanks. :lol:

It's funny you should bump that thread now, as I was recently thinking about trying some audio books.

I haven't ever listened to any, but I am toying with the idea of starting walking to keep fit (I'm doing the Race for Life the weekend after next, and will just about manage to walk the 5k as I'm very unfit) and I thought a good audiobook might be just the thing to keep me company.

My husband listens to them in the car, as he has a long journey to and from work each day in the car.

• 6 months later...

I've noticed a few members mentioning audio books on their reading logs and I wondered, since I'm pretty new to audio books (I've mostly listened to radio plays instead), which ones people have heard, which they would recommend, and if anyone downloads them from the internet at all - if so, which sites do you recommend? Do you prefer short stories, novellas or novels? Classics or contemporaries? Tell me all - I want to know so I can fill my ipod up with good reading!

Yes, there are some audio books in our libraries, but we seem to have a pitifully small selection & many of them are on tape instead of CD, which is no use when you no longer have a tape deck (haven't had one of those for years - LOL!). I was thinking more of downloadable ones from the internet - I figured this might be the opportunity to get cracking on some of the classics as they're all out of copyright & therefore usually available to download as e-books, so I thought I'd try getting some of them as audio books if I could download for free. :D

Are there any particular download sites or audio books that people would specifically recommend? And if so, which ones have you used yourselves...?

I can't really help with recommendations, Kell, as I only ever "re-read" on audio. I didn't like Gabrielle Kruger doing Jasper Fforde for ISIS, but I much prefer her to Emily Gray on the Clipper versions.

Libraries are getting more on CD now - in fact some of the publishers no longer produce them on cassette. Although, interestingly, one Visually Impaired Reader told me recently that he only wanted cassettes as on CD he found it really hard to find his place. With the advances in technology, CD players now remembering where you stopped it, I'm sure that's not going to be an on-going problem but many of our older members can't keep up with the equipment!

I've just come back from my first visit to Aberdeen Library. No, I didn't come back empty handed. I picked up four teenage books, (research) and four audio books which I am quite excited about. There wasn't a bad selection, I thought, enough to keep me going for a while. The ones I brought home are:

The Cat who Smelled a Rat - Lillian Jackson Braun

The Cat who Turned on and Off - Lillian Jackson Braun

Heavenly Date - Alexander McCall Smith

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - Anne Bronte.

I had just put The cat Who books on my 'wanting to read list' so I am really pleased with them, and I thought I'd get the Anne Bronte as it's a possible read for next month's Posh club, our local book group.

Maureen said;

What if anything, would you think/feel about the readers voice? As i have no experience of Audio books, I have no idea of what to expect.

I've had a few audio books before, and listened to alot of Radio 4 readings. Its like everything else, its pot luck. Some voices grate. Some are enchanting. Some readers don't read in the way you would...almost like a different interpretation, with inflections etc that put you off, and others leave you spellbound and seem to develop a rapport with their listeners. It's a personal thing. I don't think I've ever turned off the radio because I didn't like the reader, but I have lost interest before and wandered off to do something else. It'll be interesting to see how I get on with this latest batch.

PP

What if anything, would you think/feel about the readers voice? As i have no experience of Audio books, I have no idea of what to expect.
If you're unlucky and don't like the narrator's voice, it can be really off-putting. one of the short stories I downloaded from BMW (the Karin Slaughter one), wasn't a brilliant story enyway, but it would have helped if the reader had actually had any life in her voice - it was completely flat & drawling, so I felt bored throughout. Whereas, the one that was narrated by the guy who plays Owen in Torchwood, and the one read by one of the guys who was in The High Life, were both great to listen to - very expressive - & I got a lot more out of them. It helped that the stories were better too though... :D

For anyone who's interested, the Radio Times are giving away another free Doctor Who audiobook with this weeks' issue - it's Part One of The Stone Rose (terrible pun, but the blurb sounds quite good).

Part Two will be given away with next week's RT.

(I'm cross-posting this to the Doctor Who thread in Music/Film/TV room)

What audio book was that, Kell? I'd love to hear him read a Dickens - he was so good in Bleak House, I can really imagine it. Oliver Twist, perhaps - I'd like to hear Burn Gorman's interpretations of Fagin and Nancy, lol.
It was The Debt by Simon Kernick, which I downloaded free from BMW. I personally thought it was the best of the four on there, even if it was the shortest one!