Midway

supergran71

I have just watched an item on BBC1 10o'clock news about the amount of waste plastic being washed up on the beaches of this beautiful atoll in the Pacific Ocean. I watched in horror as a man slowly pulled a piece of green plastic hook from the beak of an albatross chick. It turned out to be the remains of a net with a green hook that had probably held fruit. And it was preventing the chick from eating. They reported that every albatross on these beaches has some plastic in their innards. They also showed what was collected in the space of 30 minutes it was unbelievable. There is another report tomorrow evening at the same time - if you care about this planet watch it and reduce the amount of plastic you use and that which you do use, dispose of it responsibly please.

I felt ashamed as I watched, I really did.:lol:

I saw this last night - it's an awful thing - and that poor chick with the plastic stuck in its mouth and the fact that the birds looking for squid often mistook cigerette lighters for it - terrible. As you say Supergran it certainly makes you think.

I caught a bit of this on the news. It really is depressing. I hope companies will stop wrapping everything up in plastic. I'll try and buy loose produce as much as I can now. I always take my rucksack to Asda, and use long life carrier bags.

It's appalling. After reading your first post above, Supergran I decided not to watch as I can't bear to see such suffering. It upsets me for days after. We are trying to cut out as much plastic as poss and like F&C buy loose, but we really need the manufacturers to get on board. And how do these things get there in such quantities?

Isn't there a village in Cornwall or somewhere that is totally carrier bag free?

Pp

Well an hour later, I have returned after browsing the site Wicci suggested. Good one Wiccie. It also led me to a local forum which I have joined. So I'm forumed out!

I was going to make some bags anyway and have already bought the materials, so its just a case of getting down to it. We also use ASDA's bags, but are terrible at remembering to take them!

Another thing which never gets mentioned is the way Magazines are sold in plastic wrappers and also weekend newspapers. We stopped have the weekend Times because of this because it contains a lot of rubbish which we chuck in the "paper" recycling bin. Today I received my Good Housekeeping mag which also arrives plastic wrapped containing loads of rubbish which all went in said bin, then when you actually open the mag, there is more inside:motz:

So I am going to cancel my subscription to GH.

I am fed up with supermarket packaging especially veg and fruit. I am going back to my farm shop this weekend and get "British" broccoli and potatoes, all loose.

The thing is...why spite our own noses. Surely we should be campaigning for changes, not denying ourselves the pleasures of a magazine or particular food. The important thing is to get manufacturers to change. I suspect they are loath to change because of hygeine and H&S and any litigious law suits.

Pp

I am not really cutting my nose off PP:lol:. Its easy to get to the farm shop, I have just been lazy and doing it all in the supermarket. As for Good Housekeeping, the subscription was a gift, so I will just not renew it, but I will write to them and tell them why, so I think that will achieve something wont it? BTW where have your tulips gone, I loved them:blush:

I love the farm shop. I should really go there more often. Letting the publisher know why you are not renewing is definitely a good plan Supergran. It's when they start losing customers and money that they will start to think differently.

I am fed up with supermarket packaging especially veg and fruit. I am going back to my farm shop this weekend and get "British" broccoli and potatoes, all loose.

Yes I get cross about this too - trying to get things from the supermarket that aren't over packaged can be quite a trial.