The Colour of Magic

Kell

Did anyone else watch the first part of Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic last night (the 2nd part is on tonight)?

I did, but found myself every bit as disappointed as I was with Hogfather. Huge chunks left out, total lack of pace and miscasting galore. Was initially really chuffed to see Jeremy Irons as the Patrician, but then heard the "howwid" speach impediment he'd given the character and nearly threw up in disgust! David Jason was fine as Rincewind, but just too old for the part (plus, if they go on to make the rest of the books this way, what happens when Rincewind meets Albert, eh???). And Sean Astin as Twoflower - well, he's doing what he can with the material, but he's all wrong for the part - the character is supposed to be Auriental (yes, I know that would be Oriental on the round world, but we're talking Discoworld here).

I'll still watch tonight to see how badly they massacre The Light Fantastic (yes, they've tried to do the two books together under the title of The Colour of Magic, rather than deciding to do them both justice).

The first two books are not my favourites in the series - not by a long shot (in fact, along with Eric, they rank among the ones I didn't enjoy much at all - they were garbled and unorganised in comparison to the later Discworld novels), but I cannot believe anyone who seriously wanted to adapt Pratchett for the screen would make such a hachett-job of it! Think of the fans, for Small Gods' sake! ;)

I haven't seen it yet as I don't have Sky but my first impression when I saw the adverts was that David Jason (as great an actor as he is) was just too old to play Rincewind. I also didn't know they had put The Light Fantastic in there as well. A bit of a waste if you ask me. They could have made a wonderful series out of Discworld but instead they've cut/pasted/merged it into the occasional one off show.

A bit disappointing really and I haven't even seen it yet but typical of Sky if you ask me.

Well, part two was marginally better, but still not all that great. They even messed around with the "previously, on The Colour of Magic..." bit and showed things completely out of sequence, such as Rincewind and Twoflower heading towards the rim and THEN showing them falling off the dragon, when it was falling off the dragon that led to them being swept rimward in the first place - that was just sloppy!

Still not impressed. I wish someone would just take on the entire series and do them as really big budget films, with directors who really understand and love the books, with careful consideration of casting possibilities! This production got the look of the Discworld right, but the effects were well below par (considering the quality of CGI today, I was very disappointed with the CGI on show in this production and that of Hogfather). ;)

There's a movie now?Go figure...

And Jeremy Irons is in it and there's NO sex in it?Is that even possible?I thought he won't even look at the script if there isn't at list one sex scene in it...

Is it even funny?

I had set this in my Sky+ but it screwed up last night and didn't record it. So I have to keep my eyes out for when it is repeated as Robbie really wants to see it.

It's repeated on Thursday on Sky Three apparently :D

I watched tonight's part but I still wasn't impressed and if anything I dislike David Jason even more now ;)

Is it even funny?

Not really, no. In fact, not at all. It was almost 100% lacking in Pratchetty humour. That was a major part of the disappointment. I think I shall have to make The Mob (the makers of CoM and HF) my number one enemies and hunt them down!