Kell's 2006 Reading Log - January to June

Kell

Started reading Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter last night. Just read a few more pages during my coffe break too. I'm enjoying it, but I'm a bit miffed as, at only page 89, I think I know who the murderer is; the only thing I'm not sure of is why, although I'm already forming ideas in my mind as to that too.

The start was suitably gripping - nasty murder within the first dozen pages; that's always good. Also, some tension between people who used to be together but arent now (I'm betting they'll be back together by the end, or movnig in that direction at least). I'm not sure how I'll feel if it turns out I'm right. I like the smug "I'm so smart" feeling I get when I work everything out, but I like to be continually surprised & get bored by anything too obvious - I like a good few twists before the final big "tadaaa!" if you get my drift. If I don't get that pay-off, I feel let down.

I hope this one throws in some undetectable red-herrnigs son, or I'm going to be mightily upset because so far I'm enjoying Slaughter's style.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dead Sleep by Greg Iles arrived this morning from RISI, so no doubt I'll get onto that one some time soon, as I really enjoyed 24 Hours. If it's anywhere near as good, I'll be well pleased!

I just got the email telling me which books I'll be reviewing for CBUK - they should be arriving within the next week or so:

Wolf Girl by Theresa Tomlinson

Plague Sorcerer by Christopher Russell

Who Was Boudicca: Warrior Queen by Sian Busby

Not Quite a Mermaid: Mermaid Friends by Linda Chapman

Yay! More reading material on its way!

Why don't they try and get reviewers from the age groups the books are aimed at? I'm sure there are heaps of budding young journalists out there somewhere. I can't imagine reviewing a book for a 5+ year old unless I had a child of that age to get an opinion from.

They do that too - they have testgroups of kids apparently, & also the reviewers that do the books for younger kids tend to have kids themselves frmo what I've gathered. I'll be mostly getting books aimed at older kids & young adults I think, which is fine by me as I read them anyay - I guess I'm just a big kid really - LOL!

Just surprised they are asking you to review the Mermaid book, it's for round about 5 yr olds, my friend's daughter has it. I just find it strange they have asked someone with no children to review children's books. No slight on you Kell and I know you'll do well.

It's also quite ironic as you have made it perfectly clear you can't stand kids of any age under 18 LOL.

Extra benefit - I become the coolest Auntie in the world to my 2 young neices who are book crazy aged 5 & 8) when I send some of the books onto them. There's the 4-y-o Godson too. And I can stick the others on the sale or swap list when I'm done. :)

Yup, Vicky's little'uns. They weren't at our wedding as they were a bit too young at the time. THey were flower girls at Leni's though. They're sweet litle things, actually, as kids go. Cute as pie & bright as buttons the pair of 'em. The oldest one could almost be mine - she looks just like I did at that age!

Ah okay your cousin's children. I thought you mean proper nieces (if you know what I mean) and that there was something about Leni we didn't know :)

No - LOL! Vicky was almost our sister (Mam & Dad were going to adopt her because my Aunt was only 14 when she got pregnant - they even brought the wedding date forward for adoption, but then Dawn decided to keep her after all) so we think of her that way & the little'uns are our neices. :)

I'm almost done with Blindsighted & it's all panning out pretty much as I thought it would. Not that it's a bad thing to have that happen - it's still good - but I really wanted it to be a bit more unpredictable. I'm not sure I'll be bothering with Kisscut after this one.

If I get a chance to, I'll be starting Choclat by Joanne Harris this evening (I'll probably be able to flick through a few pages while I wait for the rest of The Posh Club* to arrive for the meet tonight). I saw the film when it came out & really liked it, so I'm expecting I'll like the book well enough too.

* Will be discussing My Sister's Keeper this evening, so I'm having to check back over old posts to see what I said about it - LOL!

Didn't get a chance to read at all last night, so I'll be starting Chocolat by Joanne Harris today:

Chocolat

Chocolat begins with the arrival in a tiny French village of Vianne Rocher, a single mother with a young daughter, on Shrove Tuesday. As the inhabitants of Lansquenet-sous-Tannes clear away the remains of the carnival which heralds the beginning of Lent, Vianne moves with her daughter into a disused bakery facing the church, where Francis Reynaud, the young and opinionated cur

Am almost half way through Chocolat now. I have to say I timed it perfectly for reading it - its set during Lent through the run-up to Easter, which is right now! - it won't be long before I catch up to this very date!

So far I'm loving it. The film, by comparison, seems very different (still a very good film, but it didn't capture even half of what the book gets across - isn't that always the case?) but still quite true to the spirit of the book. It's a gorgeos book to read, although I'm finding I'm craving the sweet brown stuff a lot while turning the pages!

Suzanne forgot the list at the meeting, so she's emailing the results round when the votes are collated, but I already voted. The one I went for is called Q&A. I can't remember who it's by. I'll let you know what it is when I find out. :)

Just did a quick tally up & discovered that so far this year I have managed to get through the following:

Bokos I've finished: 20

E-Fic novellas I've finished: 4 (all by Kelley Armstrong)

E-Fic short stories I've finished: 8 (Armstrong, Gaiman & Brookmyre)

Bokos I've given up on: 3 (Trace, Letters From America & Paradise)

I think that's pretty impressive myself. :)

I finished reading Chocolat by Joanne Harris last night (stayed up after Tru Calling to finish it!) & I really loved it. If you haven't read it, I can highly recommend this warm & scrumptious read - it's simply delicious!

I'll be starting The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory today:

Elizabeth I has acceded to the throne of England, a position she has waited and schemed for all her life. She is surrounded by advisers, all convinced that a young woman cannot form political judgements. Elizabeth feels that she can rely on just one man: her oldest friend, Robert Dudley. It is soon plain that he is more than merely a friend. In a house in the countryside waits a very different woman, Amy Robsart - Robert's wife. She has no taste for life at court and longs for the day when her husband will return home. She has loved him since she was a girl, but now they are adults she hardly sees him. Meanwhile, the pressure grows for Elizabeth to marry, for it is unthinkable that a queen should rule on her own. Elizabeth's preference is clear, but he is unavailable. But what if the unthinkable were to happen! Philippa Gregory blends passion, personalities and politics in this stunning novel of the Tudor court and a country divided.

The votes have been counted & the next Posh Club book is Q & A by Vikas Swarup. It sounds quite interesting. And yes, I voted for this one myself:

Why is a penniless waiter from Mumbai sitting in a prison cell? Is it because: a)he has punched a customer; b)he has drunk too much whisky; c)he has stolen money from the till; or d)he is the biggest quiz-show winner in history? Ram Mohammad Thomas has been arrested. For answering twelve questions correctly on Who Will Win A Billion? Because a poor orphan who has never gone to school cannot name the smallest planet in the solar system, or the plays of Shakespeare. Unless he has cheated. Ram prepares his defence by reviewing TV footage of the show, and takes us on an amazing tour of his life. From the day he is rescued from a dustbin, to his encounter with a security-crazed Australian colonel, and a spell as an over-creative guide at the Taj Mahal, Ram's survival instincts are infallible. Stunning an audience of millions, he draws on a store of street wisdom and trivia to provide him with the essential keys, not only to the quiz show, but to life itself.

Also starting A Ghost Among Us by Debora Hill tonight, as I'm reviewing it at the request of the author (she liked the review I did for The Land of the Wand, so she sent me this & its 2 sequels to review too):

When three young women rent a house in Hampstead, they discover they already have an uninvited border ...Television talk-show host, Dierdre Hall, Photographer, Charlotte Lewis and Fantasy Painter, Natalie Ladd are thrilled to discover the large townhouse with the reasonable rent. What they don't know is that Sir Jerome Kennington, former Earl of Arden is a long-time inhabitant of the house, even though he has been dead for nearly two-hundred years. The three young women embark on a quest to help Jerome solve his own murder ...and release his soul. In the process they find adventure and romance in modern-day London, while researching the story of Jerome and his beloved Alicia, during the Regency period.

After having sold a few books over at Green metropolis, I discovered I had enough funds available to buy the following three books:

Q&A by Vikas Swarup (for The Posh Club read)

The Wise Woman by Philippa Gregory (continuing with Ms Gregory)

The Lady in the Tower by Jean Plaidy (a bok I read years ago & rather fancied getting hold of again)

They'll all be winging their way to me over the next week or so with any luck. :D:)