Kell's 2006 Reading Log - January to June

Kell

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Tambulaine Must Die at lunch time, so that's now 2 reviews I need to write tonight (can't believe I fell behind with that!). I have to say I rather enjoyed it - a nice little novella with just the right amount of intrigue & mystery to keep me going, as well as the lead character being an actual historical figure, whose death was a little mysterious anyway...

I'm not getting anywhere fast with Paradise at the moment. I've only managed about 50 or so pages & it's just not gripping me so far. The lead character is an alcoholic & I'm not sure I understand the thinking behind the story (or even what the story actually is) at this point. I'll perservere a little longer, but if ther's no improvement, I shall hang my head in shame at handing this out to everyone!

I've been asked to review The Land of the Wand by Sandra Brandenberg & Debora Hill prior to its publication next month, so I'll probably be starting on it either tonight (if I get a free moment to sit down & start it) or tomorrow. I receieved it via email, so I've printed it off, & as it's a bulky A4 affiar, this will be home-reading material, rather than something I cart to work every day, so it'll probably take me well over a week to get through.

Still, it's a fantasy novel - something I haven't read in quite a while, it seems - so it'll make a change from the type of things I've been reading of late (always good to mix things up a little).

I've blogged a little about it at my 360 Space (click the link in my sig), so if you fancy finding out a bit more about it, feel free to nip along & have a look. There's also a link to the websites of both the authors & the publisher.

OMG how much pages did that take, sounds quite long Kell? Nice to be asked though. I'm terrible for not printing stuff off. I only do it if I have too even though I don't pay for the toner, paper or ink.

OMG how much pages did that take, sounds quite long Kell

I printed it off double-sided, so it would only take half as many pages. :D I just can't get to grips with reading that amount online, so I didn't really have much choice but to print it off in this case.

Another 20 pages from where I was saying I wasn't enjoying Paradise much, there's rather a nice little moment with a woman in a wheelchair. I think I came to a brief moment of understanding with the lead character at this point & so it's looking up a little now. I'm off to read a bit more in the bath in a moment...

I picked up Dying Voices by Laura Wilson off my pile today & so far I'm really enjoying it. I didn't get very far (due to not having any reading time through the day today - but there'll maybe be bath time!) but so far so good. Seems to be a good, solid style of writing with a little intrigue. It doesn't seem to be so much a Who-Dunnit as a Why-Dunnit - LOL!

Started reading The Land of the Wand by Sandra Brandenburg & Debora Hill & so far so good. The set-up is proving rather intriguing & I'm already growing fond of the 4 lead characters. Not a lot has happened yet, action-wise, but I'm only about 30 or so pages in & it all seems to be leading up to something.

Just as I was swinging back round to the idea of Paradise being rather dull (& a litte pretentious too), I got to a little gem on page 81 about how 1st & only children tend to be worriers. It rings pretty true & is a nice little piece.

Every time I think I'm losing a grip on it, it swings back round again. I'm still not sure what it's about though. Hmmmmm!

Things are starting to happen in Land of the Wand & I'm quite enjoying it - there are some nice ideas in there. I'm reserving jusgement a while as I'm still not very far into it (only about 80 or so pages), but so far, so good. It's not making me squeak for joy or anything, but it's certainly making me smile a fair bit & there are some nicely drawn characters emerging from it.

Dying Voices is getting more & more intriguing by the page. The mysteries are unfolding nicely & there seem to be a million sub-plots, but everything is holding together so I'm not losing the thread or anything. Im' enjoying this best out of the 3 Im' currently reading at the moment.

Finished The Land of the Wand last night in the bath & rather enjoyed it - nice easy read. Review to follow...

Started 24 Hours by Greg Iles at coffee break this morning. It looks set to be quite an enjoyable crime thriller - a woman & child are kidnapped by career kidnappers who have never been caught on any of their previous "jobs". But this time, the kid in question has diabetes & could throw the entire "foolproof" plan into untested waters...

I'm about 80 pages in & it's absolutely gripping - I almost didn't come back from lunch! If it continues like this, I shall most certainly be getting hold of a few more of his books...

Review for The Land of the Wand by Sandra Brandenburg & Debora Hill now posted in teh Reviews forum. I sent the same review (minus the two synopsis paragraphs & the rating) to the authors. I hope they like it!

I did indeed. And they liked the review so much they're sending me the other 3 books to review too - yay!

It turns out I'll be reviewing a whole different series after all:

A Ghost Among Us

Jerome's Quest

A Wizard by Any Other Name.

I had a quick sqizz at the synopsis of each on Deborah Hill's site & they look pretty interesting...