Kell's 2006 Reading Log - January to June

Kell

I'm now about 1/2 way through 24 Hours & it's fab - loving the suspense. It's all kept very tense - I don't know how much longer the tension can last before something snaps! Funny though - I keep picturing Keifer Sutherland as the dad - LOL!

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try thinking Stuart Townsend and you'd be right on (Charlize is the mum). The film based on the book was quite good too. It's not called 24 Hours though it's called Trapped.

Cool - I'm going to have to look out for that now. Excellent news.

Edited to add:

I just checked it out on IMDB:

Kevin Bacon's too young to play Joe Hickey(but apart from that an excellent choice).

Courtnay Love is just a tad too old to play Cheryl Hickey (but apart from that, probably an excellent choice)..

Why has Huey's name been changed to Marvin?

Why does Abby have asthma instead of diabetes?

I always get a bit miffed at the seeingly pointless changes they make when they turn a book into a movie. I still want to see it,but I'm going to be a bit upset about that (& a thousand other things) when I finally see it!

It's like every other book to movie transition it's never perfect. However we both enjoyed it, saw it a few years back now. Kevin Bacon was excellent for the part. Courtney wasn't bad either.

LOL - I just get all knotted up when I can't see a reason for them changing something. I can understand that bits have to get cut out & little things need to be changed so that the cut bits don't leave gaping holes, but I've never understood things like name changes or little things like I just saw in the trailer - they changed the number of jobs done - what was the point in that? It makes no difference! Arrgghh!

*calm... breathe...*

Ahem. Well, as you can see, I just get a bit funny sometimes... lol.

I'm gonna want to see the film anyway coz it looks like they did a fairly decent job of it. :)

I finished 24 Hours & it totally rocked! I'll write a review at some point this weekend, i'll definitely be getting hold of the movie at some point too - I want to see what they did with it (although usually, I'll watch a movie first if I can help it, that way I can't get upset about any changes they make because I can't compare - LOL!).

I started The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory Last night & although I didn't get very far (due to being shattered) I really like it so far. I'm not sure if it will quite measure up to The Other Boleyn Girl, but it promises to be very good all the same.

Guest Anonymous

I have The Other Boleyn girl in my pile of TBR, seeing as so many people rate it, I think that's what I shall read next !

Hope you enjoy TQF Kell, I'll look forward to hearing what you think ( I haven't read it, but may get it if I like TOBG.

Not at all - I've only just started it. And evemn if I'd just finished it, I could still join in discussions as it'll still be fresh in my mind. :)

Try thinking Stuart Townsend and you'd be right on (Charlize is the mum). The film based on the book was quite good too. It's not called 24 Hours though it's called Trapped.

Just read that Charlize & Stuart Townsend have allegedly split up. I think they met on the set of Trapped.

Did you see her at the Oscars? Her dress was absolutely awful, did nothing for her.

Nah, I didn't watch the Oscars at all. In fact, I think I've only ever seen them once, & not all the way through. They just don't hold much interest for me - it's just a chance for the big stars to voice their political opinions & cry a lot as they thank everybody under the sun in turn & then say that someone else should have won it instead of them, blah, blah, blah. They're also so predictable these days that I could probably set up shop as an Oscars Fortune Teller (along with ,illions of others - LOL!).

I had no idea Charlize & Stuart were an item anyway. Ah well. Two more painfully pretty people back on the market again. I wonder if I could get Stuart's phone mumber. Just don't tell Dale - LOL!

Due to hardly getting any reading done at all over my nice, long weekend, I'm only about 1/2 way through TQF, but I'm really enjoying it. not quite as much as I loved TOBG, but not far off. It's making me all the more eager to get into The Virgin's Lover when it arrives - I've managed to get hokoed on another author!

Still haven't written the review for 24 Hours by Greg Iles yet either - I'll do that tonight...

Am very close to finihsing TQF & I don't want it to end! I've really been enjoying it. My intention was to follow it immediately with The Virgin's Lover, but seeing as the Reading Circle chioce is Blindsighted by Karin Slaughter, I'll be starting that this evening & then returning to Ms Gregory. I'm hopnig to get hold of The Constant Princess & The Wise Woman next... I've really managed to get hooked on her!

I really like that she shows the stories of strong, female, historical figures & brings them to life. It make for a wonderful read!

I've got another couple of books coming my way via RISI:

Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Dead Sleep by Greg Iles

I saw the movie, Choclat, with my Mam when it came out (I was working in a cinema at the time, so we got in for free - yay!) & really enjoyed it, so I've been meaning to get hold of this one for a while. If it's as sumptuous as its title (& the film) suggests, I think I'll enjoy it a lot.

I went for Dead Sleep because I enjoyed 24 Hours so much - I think I'd like to try another of Iles' books & see if it's as good - he may well be joining Philippa Gregory as a new author I'm hokoed on!

Still waiting to hear if my swap for The Wise Woman by Philippa Gregory will be accepted - keeping my fingers crossed, because if I don't get it soon via a swap, I think I'm going to have to buy it!