Ideas for cereal?

Maureen

What do you take your cereal with? I don't like milk, and do not like the cereal to get soggy, so I always put yoghurt on my cereal instead. However I have noticed that I get a reaction whenever I eat yoghurt - I start to itch! So now I am not eating cereal. Have no idea what else to mix it with! :lol:

Oh, I don't know if you have these in UK, but at least in Finland you can find like berry soups in store. They're a little thicker than milk, so no soggyness, and there's usually no added sugar. I've seen blueberry, rasberry, strawberry... All kinds of flavours... Oh, and they're cold, not hot. Just to avoid any confusion.

So these are like a thick juice? (btw I'm in Malta:))

Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry! Of course I knew that, I just didn't stop to think. I'm sorry.

But yes, thick juice. One you wouldn't feel weird about eating with a spoon. They just go by the name of soup in Finland, so I translated to that without thinking... Actually, I think the word-to-word translation would be juice soup. Finnish is a very weird language.

Also, have you tried to make your own yoghurt? Maybe that would go better with you... I can give you the recipe maman used if you'd like.

Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry! Of course I knew that, I just didn't stop to think. I'm sorry.
Hey no problem.:roll:

But yes, thick juice.....

Also, have you tried to make your own yoghurt? Maybe that would go better with you... I can give you the recipe maman used if you'd like.

Unfortunately we do not have that, or else I've never seen it! If it is not a problem I'd appreciate the recipe. There's no loss in trying it!

I use vanilla soymilk on my cereal. As a last resort you can always use some Triventa Shiraz Malbec on the cereal. :lol:
I've never tried soyamilk - cause I think it will taste like milk-which I don't like! The Trivento would still make my cereal soggy - so no go Nibbles!

Unfortunately we do not have that, or else I've never seen it! If it is not a problem I'd appreciate the recipe. There's no loss in trying it!

No problem at all!

Incredients:

1l milk (full or low fat)

1tbs yoghurt seeds or natural yoghurt

1) Heet the milk in medium or mild heat, until you see bubbles at the sides and steam coming from the surface.

2) Pout the milk to cool in big bowl until it's 40-45 degrees of Celcius. (If you don't have a thermometer, it's about right when you can keep a finger there for 10 seconds.)

3) Put the yoghurt seed into a small bowl, add warmed milk and mix well. Pour the milk from the small bowl into the big one app. one third at the time, and mix well everytime. Mix and make sure the mixture is perfectly even. Cover with a thick towel and keep in warm place for 4-6 hours, until it's set.

4) Keep in fridge for 8 hours before serving.

You can add honey or jam if it's too strong of a taste for you. the yoghurt can be kept in the fridge for up to two weeks.

I actually surfed the net a bit and found a recipe for the Mehukeitto, juice soup. Worth a try? These are really good with white porridge (rice or semolina), when the soup is either warm of cold.

Incredients:

3/4dl juice concentrate

1/2l water

1 1/2rkl potatoflour (potato starch, I see no reason why corn starch wouldn't work too.)

Mix cold water, juice concentrate and flour in a pot. Heet while stirring, until the mixture thickens and you get just a few bubbles. Stop stirring. Let cool.

I'm sorry if they're unclear, I'm not really good at translating.

The only way I can eat weetabix is dry spread with butter/margarine sprinkled with sugar! My son is the same - try it. it's lovely!

Ewww!!! My mum and brother always used to eat it like that when I was little, spread thick with butter and sometimes jam. I think I tried it and it tasted just as yucky as I'd imagined. :D

Well I must say this seemed to work. (The dairy rice, I mean) I was able to have my cereal without me ending up as if I am covered in red ants! Not an itch in sight and a very tasty and satisfying snack indeed! ;):D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and especially ii for the idea!