Autobiographies and Biographies

Michelle

I recently read 'Cash: The Autobiography of Johnny Cash' by Johnny Cash and Patrick Carr, it was very insightful and I enjoyed it immensely. :)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure whether you would call them auttobiographies or memoirs ... but I enjoyed these....

Legionnaire by Simon Murray - about serving in the French Foreign Legion. Really enjoyable and interesting insight into this hidden world.

Foreskin's Lament by Shalom Auslander - a fantastically funny book about coming of age - pain and humour mixed wonderfully well.

Sally-Ann

Have just finished Hermione Lee's monumental biography of Virginia Woolf, and it goes right to the top of the pile as probably the best biog that I've read to date. Lee takes a slightly unusual approach, each chapter concentrating on a theme that is important in Woolf's life at different stages, and as a result I did struggle occasionally with the chronology, not least when she views the same event or person from the different perspectives of each theme. However, that was really a minor issue, compared to the way this approach enabled Lee to get really inside key aspects of Woolf's life, providing a deep insight into the character of this fascinating, complex woman and her works. Woolf has been the subject of many myths, and most if not all of them are fairly conclusively dismantled. Lee writes with enormous sensitivity and, whilst this is no hagiography, is obviously highly sympathetic to her subject.

There are some superb biographers around at present, with Claire Tomalin, Lisa Jardine, Jenny Uglow and Peter Ackroyd my personal favourites. Hermione Lee now joins that exclusive band!

Edited by willoyd

If you want a good read of a film star who knows his own limitations and can happily poke fun at his own career then I'd certainly wholeheartedly recommend If Chins could kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell. First autobiography that I read and has given me a taste for those few individuals that can write about their lives without the need to make everything they have ever done seem important and vital for the good of the planet Earth and all those who inhabit it..

• 2 weeks later...

A Sassenach's Survival Guide To The Highlands by Anthony Massey

This is a really funny book - part bio, part travelogue.

The writers fairly opinionated but its all good clean fun - loved the atory about 'Happy Harry' and his bicycle

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

The michael J fox autobiography was probably the best non fiction book I've ever read (or, most likely, the only one.. I can't remember) - but it's just such an amazingly written account of his life from his early career to his parkinson's disease... I couldn't recommend the book more!

• 1 month later...

I'd agree re both Michael J Fox's and Alan Alda's - really enjoyed them

The other one I found interesting and can't get out of my head is Ranulph Fiennes' book on Scott - although I don't recommend reading it while camping like I did, makes you feel very cold, especially when reading the account of the last few days!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I love biographies. I recently re-read Sarah Bradfords biography of George VI. Others I have read in recent months are "Darwin" by Desmond and Moore and "Charles Dickens" by Michael Slater. I have a stack of others which I have read over the years - it would take forever to list them all. I am currently reading "John Henry Newman" by Ian Ker which I must confess I am finding a bit of a struggle. Determined to get through it though.

• 4 weeks later...

Which biographies have you read, and which did you enjoy?

I've read a lot of biographies, mostly of French Kings and Queens and other important figures from French history. The biographies I loved most, were about Marie-Antoinette.

I am currently reading "John Henry Newman" by Ian Ker which I must confess I am finding a bit of a struggle. Determined to get through it though.

I have finally given up on this book. I am disappointed because Newman was such an interesting character, but I couldn't cope with the writing style. Maybe I will try again some time

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Started reading my first ever biography! Leonardo: The First Scientist by Michael White. I have long being an admirer of Da Vinci who was possibly the most talented and innovative man who ever lived, and being a scientist myself I wanted to learn more about his scientific and engineering inventions then his paintings.

It is good so far, he was a very complex, non-conformist man who struggled to finish any tasks he started. Learnt of a theory that he invented the violin... but no real evidence to back it up. Interesting stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

My first one, and one I keep going back to is Gandhi's My Experiments With Truth - and each time I find something new to learn from and be inspired.

Then there is the disturbing and disarming The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank.

A few years ago I read Elvis and Me by Priscilla Presley - which I found very interesting. I loved the pictures in it too.