Ashes to Ashes

Janet

Well, I've now watched all of Life On Mars (which is quite possibly some of THE best television I have EVER watched!) and have started on Ashes To Ashes whic is also very, very good (we're about half a dozen or so episodes in).

I may have fallen a little in love with Gene Hunt. He's marvellous and probably the most real fictional character I've ever seen. :blush:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have now finished watching season 1 of Ashes to Ashes and am now completely in love with Gene Hunt!

I also have 2 theories as to who Gene Hunt is...

Theory 1:

Gene Hunt is a real person outside of the reality constructed by Sam Tyler and now inhabited by Alex. It is actually HIS reality created because HE is actually dying/in a coma. His force-of-nature personality is so strong that dying/comoatose coppers arrive in HIS fantasy world where he's "cleaning up" ready to move on to a Heaven

Theory 2:

Gene Hunt is actually an angel. There was a comment he made to Alex - "I was needed so I was there." which smacks of guardian angel-ness. And to those who would point out his less-than-angelic qualities, I would say to take a look at the Archangels - Michael was/is totally kick-@ss with a fiery sword. :smile2:

Of course, I've got another 2 seasons before I find out if either of these theories is correct. Or I may well come up with other theories along the way...

If you mean the spoilers in my posts, if you've watched past the 1st season then there'll be nothing to spoil because I've only seen the 1st season so far (I think we'll be started season 2 tonight though!) - it's just my theories on who Gene Hunt might actually be. If you mean spoilers about the final episode, then I agree - I'm also avoiding everything I can about the show as I want to watch it unfold on the screen. :smile2:

I mean the theories - I know they might be wrong but they also might be right! :smile2:

I can't watch the final on Friday night as I'm out so I shall have to avoid the internet until I finish work on Saturday morning as I really don't want to have the very end ruined - I've invested hours in watching Gene - I want to know what he is for myself, not by reading about it!

Gene Hunt: I think you've forgotten who you're talking to.

Sam Tyler: An overweight, over-the-hill, nicotine-stained, borderline-alcoholic homophobe with a superiority complex and an unhealthy obsession with male bonding?

Gene Hunt: You make that sound like a bad thing.

:irked:

I managed to avoid all spoilers/speculation - hurrah! :lol:

Having read back, Ruth was really close with her thoughts - well done, Ruth. :D

It was amazing! I got in from the theatre and watched at 11.30pm even though I had to be up at 5am because I couldn't stand the thought of being spoiled.

I'm glad I was wrong about Gene - at one point I wondered if he was going to be a 'baddy' after all!

I loved the way it all tied together. I was very sad for Alex that she wouldn't see Molly again, but I loved Gene reassuring her that Molly would be fine.

Daniel Mays says he's glad his next acting job is in South Africa as he's scared of A2A fans! :roll: So he did 'take' Viv when he died then. Shame really.

I loved the Dixon of Dock Green bit at the end too - most clever! :friends0:

I'm really, really *really* going to miss Gene. :D

Watched the final episode last night - wonderful! Now, however, I feel totally bereft, as there's no more to watch. Is that totally sad? Probably, but I don't care. I loved this show (and LOM) so much that we've got hold of the American versionof LOM to watch and see what they made of it. It might eke it out a bit longer for us. I'm SOOOOOO going to miss that show!

Still, at least...

there wasn't an end to Gene Hunt so the potential is there for a further spin-off if they decide on that...!

Apparently John Simm and Phil Glenister are working together on a project for Sky 1.

They don't go into much detail but the chemistry these two have on screen is always worth a watch.

Hopefully we'll get a fix soon.

:lol:

I would definitely recommend NOT watching the US LOM. As good an actor as Harvey Keitel is, he just isn't Gene Hunt.

ALso, the finale to the US version was truly truly awful. The UK writers and cast all hated it and were pretty vocal about their opinions.

I would definitely recommend NOT watching the US LOM. As good an actor as Harvey Keitel is, he just isn't Gene Hunt

So true, Phil Glennister has that role mastered and cannot be copied :lol:

I thought it was great ending touchy and funny at the same time...I am glad it finished like that and that they probably won't do another series because it was really really good. I will miss Gene Hunt though.

Such a good ending - and leaves you wanting more, which is just as it should be!

Ian

I watched the last episode of this last night, and really it's all I've been able to think about since then! It's not very often that a programme has that effect on me.

I thought the ending was perfect (although not exactly what I wanted,

I wanted happily ever after for Alex and Gene, but that was never going to happen!).

It was the perfect mix of happy and sad, and explained everything but not in a patronising way. Well done writers!!

I'm so pleased it ended well, so many programmes are spoilt by completely rubbish endings.

I do feel completely lost now that it has finished though. No more Gene Hunt! :) I have developed the biggest crush on him, despite the fact he is definately more than old enough to be my dad! He is soooooo lovely!!!!!

However, I never watched Life on Mars (I know!!!) so I'm definately going to get my hands on that, and I also missed the first couple of episodes of the first series of Ashes to Ashes. I know that the 'big secret' has been revealed, but I can still enjoy them for Gene Hunt!

I already miss A2A so much! (I'm a total saddo!) FOr fans of the show who also cross stitch, I've designed two mini subversive samplers based on Gene Hunt quotes:

Fire up the Quattro

Drop your weapons

I'm stitching the Quattro quote at the moment and will follow it with the weapons quote. I'm planning on doing a few more too - they're going to hang in my hallway! (Hubby is a big fan too and he was the one who suggested putting them there. :) )

I'm heartbroken that it's over. My lust for Gene Hunt apparently knows no limits, and I can't believe there will be no more!

I know!! I've become quite worryingly obsessed actually! I need to get the DVDs now!

So to cheer us all up and help us through this very difficult time, what are your favourite Gene Hunt lines??

From the last episode I like:

Alex: This is a message.

Gene: What are you muttering about through your lipstick, woman?

Alex: These pieces of quartz were placed in their mouths to make an ironic point.

Gene: Well you better get on the blower to the Ironic Crimes Division hadn