Ashes to Ashes

Janet

Anyone else looking forward to this? I am, although I'm not sure how it will live up to Life on Mars.

I'm going into it with an open mind.

Pity it's on Thursday. :) I was hoping they'd stick with the Monday slot that LoM was in - I have college on a Thursday so I'll have to record it and be very careful to avoid spoilers.

Philip Glenister - mmmmm! :D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for this! While on the one hand I think it's a bit daft to do it all again with a woman in the central role, I just think the whole idea is so good that it's a shame not to!

The 1980s really is ripe for having the mickey taken out of it, too. I bet there'll be loads of yuppies braying into brick-size mobile phones!

I know I shouldn't adore Gene Hunt, but I do! :D (I'm sure I'd detest the sexist pig in real life!)

I'm looking forward to it but would have liked Life on Mars to go on forever - but there again I suppose all good things have to come to an end. I just love the 70's and loved John Simm - I'm sure the 80's will be good fun nostalgia wise but my heart's in the 70's.

It got off to a bit of a shaky start for me - the awkwardness of Keeley Hawes (and the daughter's) acting showed a little, but as soon as she dropped into 1981 it jumped up a notch and then Drake's okish acting became much better when bouncing off the ever brilliant Hunt.

Looks like it's going to be damn good.

I wasn't too impressed with it. My main problem was that I didn't like Keely Hawes at all. I just didn't feel the same emotional attachment to her or her predicament as I did with Sam Tyler. Plus, she was very annoying continuously spouting her psycho-babble.

Even Gene Hunt seemed watered down (when they weren't portraying him as some kind of god figure, complete with awe-inspiring music whenever he appeared!)

The pierrot figure was suitably scary though.

It's made me want to go out and buy Life on Mars, despite the depressing ending.

I also think it isn't as good because we're used to what's happening. For example, when the test card girl first talked to Sam, it was shocking and fascinating. Now, because we've seen it before, we're expecting that kind of thing. Even

Alex Drake is waiting for it to happen, as when she shouts at the TV to talk to her!

Nothing so far is new.

(Don't know if that really counts as a spoiler - I'm just being cautious for anyone who's taped it.)

Unlike Life on Mars I found very little in Ashes to Ashes that made me think - oh yes I remember that (apart from the music, of course) - it's like I didn't exist in 1981 or something, when in fact it was a significant year - the year I left school. Still making my mind up about Ashes to Ashes.

From the first episode of Ashes to Ashes I remember Walkmans being the latest "must have", and I remembered the jacket sleeves pushed up with the shirt sleeves over the top!

• 2 months later...

I've just re-read this thread and seen that I didn't really add anything after the first few episodes! So I'll add now that Keeley Hawes became less annoying - maybe I just got used to her. I ended up enjoying the series, but it's still not a patch on Life on Mars. The last episode was rather good though, especially a revelation that I didn't see coming.

Michelle, I'd say it's definitely worth continuing to the end. It's good, it's just not as good as Life on Mars. But stick with it. :D

• 1 year later...

Did anyone see the Season Finale of Ashes to Ashes last night. I thought it was brilliant! I just wondered if anyone else enjoyed it and what they thought the ending meant? Is there going to be another series or is that how they're ending the whole show?

How could they leave me hanging like this?!

I really enjoyed the finale! But whether I was being a bit dim, or not paying enough attention (possibly both), but I did end up a bit confused about what actually happened.

At the end, where Alex was being held at gunpoint by Summers, I thought Gene shot him and Summers' gun went off and hit Alex (at which point she passed out in the 80s world and woke up in her own). But at the end, where Gene is on the hospital monitors imploring Alex to wake up, I thought he said something like "I need you to wake up - they think I shot you... well, I did [but not intentionally]" or words to that effect. So: was Alex shot? Who shot her? :)

There were some hilarious moments too. The bit in the chippy made me feel sick but it was funny too. I also liked the bit where the curly-haired guy (forgotten his name!) was trying to explain the King Dong film and he kept glancing at Alex and trying to do it in the correct way but he eventually gave up and just blurted out his usual stuff! I thought it was quite sweet that he had obviously warmed to Alex a bit and was trying to say the right thing.

I thought it was sad when Alex finally told Gene the truth and he didn't believe her.

This isn't fact, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that there would be another series, but without Alex. Maybe it will involve Gene on the run.

I think what happened at the end was: Alex was held at gunpoint by Summers, Gene shot him and the blonde girl came in and held a gun to Alex, but Gene fired and hit Alex by mistake (at which point she passed out in the 80s world and woke up in her own time).

I'd like to see a series where Gene finds himself in the present day. That would be hilarious!