Your Book Activity 2024

I must say that I'm enjoying my trip down memory lane. It's been a long time since I : read a paper book and read Stephen King. Currently doing both and since 'Salem's Lot is an early work it's taking me back to a time when there were only paper books, no internet and no mobile phones. My copy even has light damage! 

It's all about the sensory experience, in my humble opinion. I reckon that it'll make the scary bits even more scary.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently reading :

The Full Moon Yearbook, Julie Peters. A factual account of the moon in every month. Only read one chapter so far and it's fascinating. 

Wolf Blood, Steve Morris. A fictional account of a werewolf apocalypse, as recommended by my friend (“read A Witch In Time, now!”) who knows nothing of the current Group Reading theme. Thoroughly enjoying this too.

5 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Currently reading :

The Full Moon Yearbook, Julie Peters. A factual account of the moon in every month. Only read one chapter so far and it's fascinating. 

Wolf Blood, Steve Morris. A fictional account of a werewolf apocalypse, as recommended by my friend (“read A Witch In Time, now!”) who knows nothing of the current Group Reading theme. Thoroughly enjoying this too.

"Wolf Blood" by Steve Morris. Oh, it's a rich and thrilling adventure that really drew me in. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Celeste Ng. 

All I never told you.

Good novel of the lives of a Chinese family in USA. She's a good writer.

The eldest daughter goes missing.

Family intrigue and secrets abound. 

Edited by itsmeagain

• 2 weeks later...

Just started The Custard Boys by John Rae. It's about a group of boys during WW2, too young to fight and bored with nothing happening. Not sure if I'll continue with it, it starts off with the boys relieving their boredom by chasing cats on their bikes which is pretty disturbing. I'm reminded of the bullies in Lord of the Flies, a book I hated.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2024 at 3:37 AM, poppy said:

Just started The Custard Boys by John Rae. It's about a group of boys during WW2, too young to fight and bored with nothing happening. Not sure if I'll continue with it, it starts off with the boys relieving their boredom by chasing cats on their bikes which is pretty disturbing. I'm reminded of the bullies in Lord of the Flies, a book I hated.

A man named Ove  by Fredrik Backman. is my current book. Disturbing by his callousness so far to cats as well as dogs. Offers nothing to the story and makes me dislike Ove.

10 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

A man named Ove  by Fredrik Backman. is my current book. Disturbing by his callousness so far to cats as well as dogs. Offers nothing to the story and makes me dislike Ove.

You're supposed to dislike Ove at the beginning and then what makes him so apparently grumpy starts becoming more obvious. I can't remember anything about him being more callous and indifferent to cats and dogs than other human beings. I really warmed to him by the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two new books I have really liked:

(1) The Order Of The Black Robe by Tiana Dokerty (on Amazon and Kindle) - It's spec fic, swashbuckling fantasy and political intrigue (a la Game of Thrones), romance, Christian-inspired (not preachy), mystery and some daubs of horror thrown in. It starts with an intriguing premise: assume the Roman Empire never existed but Jesus Christ still came. He created not a church but left a scripture of His teaching which some accepted and some did not, and especially a group of knights in Europe dedicated themselves to do His will and carry out His teachings. Unfortunately, many people miss this premise because it's in the Foreword, not Chapter 1. What you'd start out with is a lot of warring Principalities in central Europe in what we now call the Middle Ages, I would guess Celtic or maybe Gothic in origin.  The original language in the book seems to support Celtic more. 

But, if you totally miss the premise, never mind because this is a story of people. A 6-year-old child is taken by a local Lord in repayment of a debt and her mother spends most of the book looking for her. She is marked for the brothel to produce revenue to repay the debt but one of her captors is taken by her fearlessness, faith and dignity - and releases her into the care of a Christian family. There is her story and how she eventually becomes Queen of the Principality, as well as of her love relationship with the new young King, who takes the throne by his father's assassination. Then there is the life of the "Prime Minister" and his wife, a totally ruthless and murderous pair, who manipulate the Kings to advance their lust for power and their religion of "the God of this age", which includes human sacrifice and rape in its rituals. Finally, there is the story of the Order, Christian Knights who act as missionaries and also guardian angels, protecting the weak and slaying the evil. So much going on there, you can hardly put it down! I recommend it heartily as a wild ride. 

(2) The Money Cure by Linda Peer (also Amazon and Kindle) - this is another spec fic book which is a wild ride. But this one is set in the near future and craftily follows a lot of current trends to their logical conclusions: the worsening inequality of income, the unavailability of housing for large swathes of the population, the overbearing State, the manipulation of the media by the State and the wealthy. Until you have a world where most people are destitute and dependent on precarious informal employment, the streets are run by gangs, housing is a privilege for the wealthy few and most people sleep in cars. In this world, while there are often street battles between State and private law enforcers and protesters of various sorts, one group think they have found an answer: the hoarding of all assets by the elite is a kind of disease, and they have a drug that will cure it "The Money Cure". Of course, the elite spend most of the book trying to identify them and wipe them out before they administer their drug to the winners of society unwillingly!

Yet, like 1984, which tends to pop up in readers' minds, this is not a political or philosophical pseudo-text but the story of individuals. The book centres on the love relationship of one of the "Money Cure" gang, a passionate, highbrow ideologue, with an ordinary member of the majority "underclass" who is just using every entrepreneurial angle to survive in a world where there is no room at the top. This humanises the story and makes it enjoyable to read, as does the author's biting wit and sense of humour and irony. I again recommend it heartily. Although you probably can't find it in the local bookshop, it is worth the bother if you can access it through Amazon or Kindle.

I did continue with The Custard Boys, (until a library book I was on the waiting list for became available).

I'm just over 60% through. There's an undercurrent and hints that something awful will happen. I think I'll keep reading in the hope the protagonist, John Curlew, will redeem himself.

In the meantime, I'm reading Marple: Twelve New Stories by a variety of authors.

18 hours ago, itsmeagain said:

If I remember rightly, Ove and the cat form a close bond in time and it's all part of Ove's transformation from grumpy, self-centred, isolated old man to making friends.

• Thanks 1