Bookmarks!

Michelle

That's so pretty Gyre!

On that note, while I was home I popped into my the arts & crafts shop where mum works and I found me two nice bookmark cross-stich charts: one has a red and white lighthouse on it and says "Books light our way to knowledge" and the other one is a stack of books whose spines read "This is my book, this is my chapter, this is my page".

Hunting through her personal stock mum managed to provide me with fabric and all threads for both so I'm all set, I'll post piccies as soon as there's something to post piccies of!

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It says ~

'With dogs and people, it's love in big splashy colours. When you're involved with a cat, you're dealing in pastels' ~ Louis A Camuti :D

And the last line is done in pastels to match the cats on the front. :lol: I just thought it went quite well with the picture. ;)

And the last line is done in pastels to match the cats on the front. ;) I just thought it went quite well with the picture. :D

I forgot to member the pastels, it is lovely, truly lovely :lol:

That's so pretty Gyre!

On that note, while I was home I popped into my the arts & crafts shop where mum works and I found me two nice bookmark cross-stich charts: one has a red and white lighthouse on it and says "Books light our way to knowledge" and the other one is a stack of books whose spines read "This is my book, this is my chapter, this is my page".

Hunting through her personal stock mum managed to provide me with fabric and all threads for both so I'm all set, I'll post piccies as soon as there's something to post piccies of!

Perhaps you can use the first one to match the book, if you ever read "To the lighthouse" by Virginia Woolf (that's my favorite book she wrote, by the way). Ok

I've recently been given a selection of postcards the BBC have produced to promote their poetry season, which have a few lines of verse and a lovely graphic design on the front, with either the full poem or an extract from it on the back. Although I freely admit I know nothing about poetry, the postcards are beautiful, and make great bookmarks!

Oooh those postcard sound lovely, chesilbeach - do you know where this poet(ry lover) could get some? I tend to use postcards as bookmarks anyway (I've got a portrait of Erasmus from Rotterdam marking my place in "Generation Dead" at the minute) but these sound particularly nice.

I've nearly finished the lighthouse bookmark by the way, it's looking shiny, even better than in the picture. When I come to it I might change the wording at the bottom to something more inspiring, though that would mean designing the new lettering myself which is always a pain...

• 3 weeks later...

I did not realise how funny I am about bookmarks until this thread made me think about it!

I habitually collect bookmarks of all kinds (I often buy them as a small consolation after it has taken me several hours browsing to remember that I really, really don't have the money/time/shelf space for yet another book!) However, these never seem to make it into the books that I am actually reading at the time, but instead adorn previous reads. I use them to mark favourite passages and things (so that eventually they naturally fall open at those places, oops), and they lend extra decorative effect to the display (or shrine) that is My Bookshelf. I also tend to match them up, so for example an old-fashioned fabric-bound classic might have a similarly antique embroidered sampler.

With books that I'm actually in the process of reading, I was going to repeat what lots of people seem to say, that I use 'whatever is to hand.' However, I've realised this isn't true - I use gift tags from presents, a nice leaf I found, a completed crossword torn from the newspaper, train tickets from memorable excursions but not from my everyday ride to work... Meaningful stuff I guess.

It actually slightly appalled me (irrationally, I know) to learn that a friend of mine (who loves and reads books possibly more than any other person on the planet) took no care whatsoever over what she used to mark her place: price tags from recently purchased socks, the label ripped from the outside of a pop bottle, etc. Having said that, I did once keep a chocolate bar wrapper, as it had a winning code in it for the galaxy book club promotion - although I did wash it to prevent grease stains when I then pressed it inside - that's right - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory :lurker: So there is some kind of method in my madness, logic in the loony-bin.

PS. Apparently I like not only reading, but *rambling too!

I then pressed it inside - that's right - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory :lurker: So there is some kind of method in my madness, logic in the loony-bin.

;)......

I think I'm obsessed with bookmarks - I have about 70 different ones just now, plus a stack of plain chipboard ones that I'm going to customise myself. I have an awful habit though, of not using them and instead using old train tickets, receipts or anything else that happens to be lying nearby :D

If I lend out any of my books I always make sure to put a bookmark in and give the standard lecture about not folding down corners - my pet hate ;)

Actually I seem to be acquiring bookmarks at the moment and am finding it almost as difficult to choose which one to use as much as the actual book I want to use it in ;)

My oldest son made me a bookmark for Mother's day at school really pretty cross stictch with card to support it. Thats the one I mainly use. That one and my fella got loads of small pictures of him on one side and my kids on the other and laminated it and it is a good size for a bookmark.

I do have many though and I have a few for my textbooks. I have them all in a jamjar so I always know where they are.

If i get hold of a scrap piece of paper i put a arrow on it to point to which page.

I don't quite understand what you mean by this but it reminds me of that bit in the film Labrynth where she lipsticks an arrow on a paving slab to tell her which way she's already been, and then a little creature sneakily swivels it round to point somewhere else. Amusing :)