!955 - A Year of Some Great Songs and Great Artists

muggle not

I have heard of Mr Sandman, Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White, Rock Around the Clock, and The Yellow Rose of Texas. Not bad as I don't know what has been number 1 for the last ten years at least. Do they still have number 1s?

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I'd know all of those if I listened to them. My Dad owned the Davy Crockett record.

He used to buy records from second hand shops and we had such delights as Abdul Abulbul Amir; Oh, What a Face; Anton Karas playing the zither and Winifred Atwell on piano, whose style he liked to imitate. 

Like Kev, I have no idea what the most popular songs are now.

"Love Is a Many Splendored Thing" won the academy Award in 1955 for best song from the movie with the same song. It also rose to a #1 song in the U.S. sung by the Four Aces. It is a beautiful song. The movie starred William Holden and Jennfer Jones Off screen they could not stand each other and barely talked. Jennifer Jones was nominated for an Academy Award for her performance but did not win.

I remember seeing the movie at a Drive-In with my then girlfriend.

• Like 1

Sixteen Tons was a favourite of my father's when I was a child (I wasn't born anywhere near 1955, for the record) and I know all the words. I've also heard of a few more and would probably recognise them all if I heard them. You can't beat a good song and while I do have my preferences I do appreciate a wide range of music.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 6:22 PM, muggle not said:

Besides the music and the great artists, I knew 1955 was a great year for other reasons, especially Birthdays. 🙂 👍

If you look closely at this link you will see that you can find the Top 10 songs for any year from the 30's thru the 20's. Also, the popular artists for each year.

Birthdays for forum members are more difficult to find. 😄

Edited by muggle not
  • Like 1