Your earliest book related memory

nicnic

I would say the earliest memories of books would be childcraft editions, and the books from the library, one comes to mind and that is Danny and the Dinosaur. And there was one also about a Toad, Mole and Rabbit I think. But cannot remember the name or author. I lived across the street from the library so I was able to go there all the time.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine would have to be the Biff and Chip books from Infant school. The first one i can remember reading was about a secret room which had a dolls house. Others included the grandma coming to stay and an adventure with pirates. I recently went on work experience to a school and sat reading this books during my break.

• 4 months later...

Mine was from Grade 1 - I'm fairly sure it was around Christmas time. We had all drawn names out of a hat & had to buy a gift for the person whose name we drew (I remember what my Mom & I bought! It was a little rubber doll which had 5 different outfits for it & a baby with a highchair) The person who drew my name didn't come into school, so I ended up as the only person in the class without a present. The teacher had a gift in her desk which she gave to me & it was the book "The little Engine That Could". That's the 1st book I remember owning & reading, though I know my parents bought us loads of books when we were younger & read to us every evening!

At school I remember reading Roger Red Hat and Billy Blue Hat etc. I remember at school being the first one in my class to finish the reading scheme and by the end of primary school I was on Virginia Andrews and Stephen King.

I am a primary school teacher now so try and give the kids I teach these wonderful childhood memories about books!

The Hungry Caterpillar!

i LOVED that book when I was little :lol:

That book is amazing! I love it too, and so I just had to get it for my nephew when he was born. :)

As for my own first book-related memory, I think it would probably be reading Green Eggs and Ham with my mom back when I was first starting to learn to read. We read that one over and over! (It probably helped that I basically had it memorized...)

Question: Can anyone distinctly remember NOT being able to read at all? I'm trying to remember a time when I looked at a string of letters and said to myself, "What the heck ARE those things?!" but I really can't. I think that's probably normal though. :)

Question: Can anyone distinctly remember NOT being able to read at all? I'm trying to remember a time when I looked at a string of letters and said to myself, "What the heck ARE those things?!" but I really can't. I think that's probably normal though. :lol:

No I can't, I often think about that with my job but I cannot even remember learning to read at all!

My earliest memory is my dad teaching me to read - I can't remember how old I was, but it was before I was at school. He used to read those Peter and Jane ladybird books with me. Once I could read, my mum bought me a new book every week. I always remember when it was bedtime, I would sneak a little torch under the bedcovers with me, so that I could carry on reading after 'lights out'.

My earliest memory of reading was Enid Blighton (spelling may be wrong i can't remember) My primary school teacher used to read thm to us and he got me into the storys so i started to read them on my own.

I do remember my dad reading rhymes to me. And i remember some winnie the pooh.

I remember my parents reading to me from a big blue book, with 1001 short stories in it.

I also remember being in Junior Infants (so I was maybe 4) and having a 'Bring A Book To School' day - I brought Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree.

And my next memory after that is when I was around the same age, my two favourite books from the school library - 'The Discontented Pony' and 'Shy Little Kitten's Secret Place.'

After that, when I was closer to 9 or 10, I remember reading 'The Castle In The Attic' and its sequel 'Battle For The Castle.' I adored Sir Simon. I'd love to read all those books again.

I always remember when it was bedtime, I would sneak a little torch under the bedcovers with me, so that I could carry on reading after 'lights out'.

My Mam used to leave the hall light on and my door cracked open, so I used to drag my duvet over to the door and read there. :lol:

The first books I can remember were made of cloth, but past that I don't have much detail I can add!

The first printed book I can remember was about a mouse, but I have no idea what it was called (a shame really, as I would love to find a copy of it and read it again!).

The first book I can remember the story and title of is The Iron Man, by Ted Hughes.

The first books I remember reading for pleasure were, The Famous Five books by Enid Blyton, I thought they were brilliant, so exciting. I liked Wind in the Willows too, I had a big book with beautiful illustrations, wish I still had it!

I remember one of my teachers at primary school used to read to us in assembly once a week (on Fridays I think). She used to read books like Bill's New Frock and Jaqueline Wilson - which was a lot better than the boring assembly's were were subjected to the remaining four days of the school week :lol:.