Torchwood 2

wiccibat

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night's (BBC2) episode was so dull I nearly nodded off. OK, so being dead/undead/whatever sucks, but I got that in the first 10 minutes. Did they have to labour the point for the next 40 as well?

I'm sorry, I'm not usually so callous (honestly!), but I just can't bring myself to care too much about Owen's character.

I thought the best bit (which I saw coming), was his frustration when he went to perform mouth-to-mouth on Richard Briers and couldn't save him because he didn't have any breath. That part was moving. So was the bit about the girl's husband being killed just after the wedding. The rest (about Owen) was just boring.

And I thought Jack was particularly callous when Owen, in the depths of despair, ran into the water to try and kill himself and Jack merely timed how long he was down there! (And what is it with this guy and stopwatches?!)

Torchwood had better improve, because I really want to like it but I'm just finding it so dull. :lol:

I have to agree I found it dull when I saw it last week.

I like Owen but the episode was just really slow compared to Dead Man Walking.

It's Ianto that likes stopwatches not Jack. (I bet he stole Ianto's :lol:)

To answer your question Michelle I wouldn't say episode 9 is scary to be honest it I found it quite funny.

There's some great Jack/Ianto moments too :smile2:

To be honest Mia, I'm not sure why you bother :smile2:.. you haven't enjoyed it since the beginning!

I'm asking myself the same question! I just live in hope that it's going to improve, I think.

Although actually, I really enjoyed the first episode, so you're wrong! :lol: :lol: There have been some episodes I've liked, and some which have been okay. I don't hate Torchwood, I just think that overall, it hasn't lived up to my expectations/the hype.

I have had problems with the characters - I just can't seem to emotionally connect to most of them, which I don't know is me or a fault of the writing. I'd go for the way they're written, as I don't have a problem connecting with characters in Dr Who or other shows I've watched (Buffy, Angel etc.). The only one I slightly care about is Gwen (and maybe Tosh). Jack seems to be a different character to the one he was in Dr Who. As for Ianto and Owen, I don't much care about them. Even Martha is not as likeable in this as she was in Dr Who.

Oh well. I will keep watching - and keep moaning, most probably! Sorry! :lol:

I agree that Jack is different.. but I actually prefer his Torchwood character. Well, to be honest, I liked his character best in the first series, as it was pretty dark. He's now resolved his issues with The Doctor, and yet he's not back to his early Doctor Who days, which is what you'd expect. Maybe he holds back a little because he's 'the boss'?

Did any of that actually make any sense?! LOL

Makes perfect sense!

I think I prefer him as the happy, devil-may-care, Jack the lad (is that a pun?) type he was in Doctor Who, rather than the darker Jack.

I think you're right about him being more reserved emotionally as he's the boss. I'm just glad he's not my boss!

Michelle, I hope you're sitting down, because...

I actually enjoyed the last episode!! :cry2:

It was the Gwen's wedding one, and I found it very entertaining! Daft, mind you, but entertaining. :blush:

Storylines: most are good.

Concepts: some are good, others need some work (such as Owen not being able to breathe).

Characters: sometimes are good, but seem a little...indecisive. They all seem to have multiple-personality disorders. They get on my nerves cuz they're all so grumpy and they're not a proper team.

Relationships: the fact that they all fancy each other is annoying and stupid.

Humour: please decide before an episode if it is going to funny or not. They seem to change their mind and it's stupid because it comes out as just looking tacky and as thought they weren't very well thought through.

Monsters/villains: not bad. Most are plausible sci-fi creations.

Fear factor: good and high.

Goryness: blood and guts everywhere *twisted smile*

How big and important it feels/morals: not very, to be quite honest. And it has pretty much zero morals.

Now to compare it to Dr Who. I will do the Sarah-Jane Adventures in a minute too.

Storylines: good. You can get caught up in them very easily and most are plausible. One or two have a bit of a loophole.

Concepts: great. In Utopia/Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords, the

Utopia concept and the notion that we might all come back in little spheres to murder our ancestors is amazing.

Characters: ace. The Doctor especially is a fantasic character; you can see how his experiences made him the way he is, and at the same time he is very alien. Pretty much all "major" supporting characters seem to be well-rounded folk. You think "why the :) did he do that?"

Relationships: The Dr/Rose one was well done, and I quite liked the Dr/Martha one (it was spot-on that she left when and how she did - it fits in with her character), though it would be nice to meet a female character that doesn't fancy the Dr.

Humour: love it! Loadsa jokes, loadsa laughing at the Dr being a prune (idiot). Relieves the tension a little sometimes.

Monsters/villains: awesome! gruesome, evil, slimy, misunderstood, weird beasts they all are!

Fear factor: some are really scary, such as Blink, some are...involving, but not exactly scary.

Goryness: a little a not that bad. Just enough to make you go "EEWWW!!"

How big/important it feels/morals: feels VERY big. Everything is city-wide, or planet-wide, even 2 whole universes-wide in the case of the parellel universe episodes.

And, finally, to finally confirm the notion that I have no life, here is the Sarah Jane Adventures.

Storylines: most are great...can't really think of one that didn't quite work

Concepts: that ethereal ghost-like woman was amazing. I liked "Whatever Happened To Sarah Jane" because of the paradox element. That switching off the sun thing, and getting all the energy from everywhere around, was fun but shaky at best.

Characters: very stereotyped for the most part, but not bad. Sarah Jane seems quite good. Some of the acting from the supporting cast is diabolical, but the main 4 (Sarah, Maria, Luke and Clyde) are good. Luke has one or two shaky moments, but it just seems to fit in with his character. (although Maria's actress is 16 and Clyde's 22, so you'd expect them to be good lol)

Relationships: they're a good team. I like how all of them are just normal people.

Humour: just the right amount for how they put it across. It's not a comedy, but has many little one-liners that make you smile if not actually laugh.

Monsters/villians: great. Though I was a little disappointed with the over-use of the Slitheen, however clever it was. Perhaps they should have had them further apart, like in consecutive series

Fear factor: not scary so much as exciting - though it did scare my mum :hissyfit: But she's just a wimp :Tantrum:

Goryness: zero. though that bane was pretty manky

How big/important it feels/morals: big, but in a different way. Can't really explain it. Wasn't keen on the one where the meteor was crashing down to earth; I think it could have done with being a bit longer and having a bit more backstory. Chock-a-block with morals, but they're not shoved in your face.

Verdict: Torchwood - 8/10. Exciting, gory and sometimes disturbing, but I wouldn't be particularly upset if I missed one, or they stopped making it TBH.

Dr Who - 10/10. Funny, exciting, thrilling, invigorating...would die if they stopped making it, and if there was a chance I'd miss one I'd find a way to see it.

Sarah Jane Adventures - 9/10. Not quite as good as Dr Who, but I wouldn't like to miss an episode and would miss it if it was axed.

Does anybody know where I can find a life, cut-price?

A very interesting post, DWMG, and I think I agreed with nearly everything! :hissyfit:

Regarding: it would be nice to have a female companion who doesn't fancy the Dr, I heard that Catherine Tate's character is going to fit that bill.

And if you find a life, you'd better get one for me too! :)

A very interesting post, DWMG, and I think I agreed with nearly everything! :hissyfit:

Regarding: it would be nice to have a female companion who doesn't fancy the Dr, I heard that Catherine Tate's character is going to fit that bill.

And if you find a life, you'd better get one for me too! :)

don't be too sure. if you watch the trailers, they kiss and there's this bit where she holds his hand. although there is also a bit where she's talking to this ood and takes offence because he calls her miss, so it could be linked with that.

I haven't found a life. I just spent 10 minutes trying to name all the episodes of dr who for all 3 of the new series.

and came so close to succeeding it scared me. i probably would have been able to do it too, but i wanted to come on here lol

Not fancy the Doctor? Wha...?

*dies of shock*

XD I think everybody would!

Normal service is resumed - I was disappointed with last night's episode! :hissyfit:

I was expecting great things, because it was written by PJ Hammond, writer of Sapphire and Steel. (If you're too young to have watched this TV programme, go out and buy the boxset immediately.)

Anyway, Hammond wrote a story for Sapphire and Steel which was about people being trapped inside or being brought out of old photographs, and it was incredibly creepy and scary (probably my favourite S&S story, actually). Hammond said in Torchwood Confidential (or whatever it's called) after the episode that he wanted to build on this idea but use film instead of photos. So I was expecting great things, i.e. an even creepier version of the S&S story, but it just didn't work somehow.

I can't quite put my finger on where the problem lay with this episode. Perhaps it was some of the acting? The pre-credits teaser was excellent, I thought, but then it didn't keep up the chills. Maybe my expectations were unrealistically high, with it being P J Hammond writing. :)

Well, that was more like it. Friday's episode, involving the missing boy, was much better than usual.

It was emotional (my brother and myself were both sniffling by the end!) and compelling, with quite a clever premise. I liked Jack being shifty, Gwen refusing to give up and her and Rhys arguing. It was all so much more human than usual, and I think that improved it. Just because aliens are often involved, doesn't mean you can skimp on the human side of things if you want an episode you can relate to.

However, I would have thought that the subterranean, damp rooms could have been made a little more comfortable!

It was spoilt only by my ;) video tape regularly jumping, as I had to tape it on Friday.

So I don't know what Jack and Ianto's reaction was to being interrupted by Gwen - embarrassment? Amusement?

Oh well, maybe someone can enlighten me...

Well, Mia - that was where I nearly had a heart attack BECAUSE...

Gwen ran out, kinda smirking, saying, "Sorry, sorry, I didn't realise, sorry..." Jack and Ianto went after her to apologise in turn, Ianto looked a bit embarrassed but then Jack said, "Fancy a threesome? We could use another person for naked hide and seek!" [cue heart attack] then Ianto put in, "He always cheats."

;)