Continue the story.....

several minutes before the Major could articulate clearly. He spluttered and stuttered, gurgled and croaked and finally got out, 'What is the dashed meaning of this, Rosie?! He has besmirched your impeccable name, the rapscallion, the blackguard! He's played loose and free with your tender feelings. Begad, he's nothing but a scoundrel! A duel, a duel, this must be settled with pistols at dawn!'

'Don't be ridiculous Daddy, he's ...

a really nice guy, rather sweet actually..daddy, remember, Johnny did nothing at all wrong, I met him at a book stall and we became friends, that's all.

Not like you and mummy,when I know,because she told me,that I was conceived pre wedlock, born pre wedlock, and remained pre..'

'Oh I get it, my sweet, I'm so sorry, I never intended..but I'm such a fool..I thought Johnny was your betrothed..'

'So,can we expect to be opening  up this place soon?', I asked, hoping for a sensible answer.

'Yes young man, once my application to  Blockett and Reckitt, solicitors, goes through, any day I will be supplying you with a large amount of capital..now hear me .......

Edited by itsmeagain

when I say there will be certain .. ahem ...stipulations. This so-called enterprise will be in Rosie's name and my accountants, Fleece and Swindle, will oversee the books. Got to keep things up to snuff old chap, don'tcha know, what!' he guffawed and slapped me soundly on the back.

I felt as if my ...

future looked decidedly rocky, and I thought up a plan, which I immediately set about working on .

'What a splendid idea, darn good show old chap,what what ', I said, slapping him on the shoulder, 'now, about the cats..'

'Aaah yes, old boy, well it's all up to Rosie how many felines she wants, I mean, I know she.....

Edited by itsmeagain

's dotty about pussies. Bay ones, grays, chestnuts, piebald and skewbalds, she loves 'em all.'

'Daddy, you are funny,' giggled Rosie, 'those are horses, not cats!'

The Major was an avid racing fan and would have been a lot wealthier if he didn't have a propensity for backing also-rans.

'Well, old bean,' I said, 'I think that just about ...

encapsulates why, just why, Rosie needs a quarter of a million to raise our venture into the big time.  I mean, cat litter.is about 200 quid a ton in Sheffield,  20p extra in Birmingham,  and, after the next budget,  no doubt it will be 302 quid per bucket. Where are the cats?', I enquired,  as Rosie wiped...

• Haha 1

Daddy's brow. He appeared to have come out in a cold sweat and was turning a funny colour. He clutched his stomach.

'Try not to upset Daddy like that, Johnny. He's got a nasty ulcer, you know, brought on by worry and stress,' Rosie said sotto voce. 'And I thought you were going to provide a good portion of the funds from the sale of your valuable books?'

'Well, I ....' I stuttered, 

' am trying my best, Rosie. They are in your car boot..any ideas as to where our shelves are coming from?   Did you say there was a chance of some from Weld it and Woodit, the famous Barnet carpentry establishment..?...

As for the cats, we can go and talk to cat shelters, asking can we take their moggies for the cafe. ?'

'With respect, young boy, my esteemed, worthy, cat lady daughter,  was merely asking with regard to pecuniary matters, and you don't exactly fill her, or my good esteemed self, with confidence..have you any money..?..

Edited by itsmeagain

'Of course, of course! It's just a matter of liquidating my assets, you know. It all takes time.'  I fantasised about tracking Clothilde down, liquidating HER and grabbing the assets she'd shanghied off me. And what I'd like to do with that other two-timing, double-crossing,  she-devil witch (or descriptive word that rhymed), Pythagoras! 

I was dragged out of my pleasurable reverie by ...

Mr Billy Foreman, arms akimbo, saying , ' roight, less get a few fings sorted..ooze in charge. ? See look, bein' 'ard workin' goize, we wants poyin'..ooze responsiboo..?'

Quickly pointing towards the Major, I went to get some of my huge store of books from the sacks at the back..

'Oi.....

Edited by itsmeagain

where'd you fink your goin'?'

I pretended not to hear him and kept walking. A burly hand grabbed me roughly by the shoulder and spun me round.

'Oi! I was talkin' chew!'

'Get your hands off me, you lout! Major, sort this geezer out, will you?'

Rosie started to cry.

sound, although that was difficult to ascertain as the only tooth visible was the snaggle-tooth yellow one.

Without opening his mouth (as it was a he),  it managed to project a deep menacing growl and everyone rapidly backed off. Excepting Rosie. She was as dotty about dogs as she was about cats.

'Oh puppy!' she exclaimed, 'aren't you just ...

soo sweet and adorable..my oh my daddy, this boy reminds me very much of Archie, the dog of Mrs Fauntleroy of Chertsey, holder of the award for Pooch of the Decade 2018, he.. '

'Naa listen app, bro..we won't uzz manney an we want it naa', said Pontius Brawn, 19, from Brixham.

'Oi.....

Edited by itsmeagain

'm not workin' a minut mar till we see tha bangers n mash upfront loike!'

'Ooooo ... I make a lovely bangers and mash,' trilled Rosie. 'I learnt the recipe when I was volunteering at the Dolepuddle homeless shelter. I'll just pop out and get some ingredients. Now, how many sausages would you each like? I'll get some sauce too, shall I?' Rosie beamed around at the assembled workers.

Billy Foreman cleared his throat, but thought ...

Edited by poppy

it odd that a nice middle class girl like her would sink to the depths of council estate depravity that the lads would, and he said 'no darling, you jass down geddit lav. See look, we'z awl got kids, ann oi don't mean goats..(pausing for laughs, none arrived, just a dull silence)..naa sossidgizz is awroit bat we wants sumfin a lot bettoh ann we wanna it naah..'

'Oh Johnny be a man and a darling and pay...

Edited by itsmeagain

I was not prepared for a sudden left hook to the jaw from one of the plebeian many, leaving me seeing stars for a few minutes. Mind you, all our doddering old benefactor's worries were quickly evaporated,  as 10 scrubbers ran away from the warehouse,  unpaid, and would stay unpaid until such time as we got some answers..which scuzzer decked Johnny Revolting and what type of recompense will said scuzzer pay? 

But on the cat and tea roadshow sailed, with adverts going on Radio London and people being contacted about cat cafe set up etc. 

One morning Rosie announced that the local tabby...

Edited by itsmeagain

cat sanctuary for stray moggies was closing, due to the nonagenarian, who had devoted her whole life to their welfare, departing this earthly plane. No doubt her reward in heaven would be an endless supply of Friskies Finest on which to feed her feline friends thus releasing her from the constant worry of 'what ever shall I feed them today.'

'Johnny, it's a Godsend! Let's go and pick them all up now!'

'How many are there exactly?' I enquired a little nervously.

'Oh, don't worry about little things like that! We'll ...

be able to sort it..and I know, chooky chook, aah, I saw you trouser the 800 quid from those plumbers interested in Chaucer the other week..  so money is no object'..and at that, Rosie made plans for 54 felines to be shipped to Rosie's cat and coffee emporium, post haste. 

A week and 3 and a quarter days later,  I was 🚶‍♀️ walking....

Edited by itsmeagain

along the Lesser Twaddle River, taking a much needed break from obnoxious workmen, catawauling and skirmishing tabbies who appeared to be largely  unhousetrained, Major Daddy who had far too much to say for himself and ruminating on the trajectory my life had taken. The only bright spot, I felt, was ...

Rosie, aah, dear Rosie, so full of 🌹 rosy promises, fine words, and stolid declarations of love ( of her dad, the kitties, every bugger bar me), and so utterly devoid of common sense that she was wiling to buy sausages  and to buy chips and peas with it, for a bunch of reprobates from Hounslow and surrounds,just because they smiled and popped out some muscles on their arms.

Maybe if I...but then..I am unsure..I dunno..if she really ...

• Like 1

likes me or only considers me a friend ... but she did say I was a nice guy ... and rather sweet ... there might be hope still. Now what do girls like? Flowers! I'll get her some flowers! Roses, her namesake. And maybe a new kitten. I felt more cheerful and went off in search of ...