Obstacles to Reading

Hux

For the last few weeks I've been waking up with a feeling like there's a stone in my eye which eventually goes away. Then on Thursday the pain wouldn't leave and I finally saw the optician who told me that my right eyeball is so dry that it is scraping the cornea away.

Have been given some drops and some gel. Pain has finally subsided but I can't see a thing because of the gel. 

No reading for me for a couple of weeks.

😢

I'm sorry to hear this. I know what it's like to have a scratched cornea and when I did it (2014 ish) it was extremely unpleasant and very painful (to this day I put drops in my eyes and have gel in the morning and ointment at night).

Perhaps an opportunity for you to explore audio books?

Excuse to have somebody read to you?

• Like 1

Bloody hell, Hux! That sounds grim.

I hope the drops and gel treat the issue properly for you, and am glad to read that the pain has subsided for you. 

Take care, and get yourself some audio books if you get too bored. 

• Like 1

Ouch! That sounds horrible, puts the hacking cough I've got as a left over from my cold firmly in the shade. I shall stop feeling sorry for myself.

Do give audio books a try, I was pretty snotty about them until I tried them. Listening to books you've already read and enjoyed read by a good narrator is wonderful.

Taking a while to heal. Apparently after you damage the cornea, it's never quite as strong again. And it takes longer to heal.

The pain is mostly gone but it's still a blur in the right eye so no reading.

I listened to some Sherlock Holmes books on Youtube but I like the process of reading. 

I'm glad that you are in less pain with it, and I hope that you are fully healed soon. 

I know what you mean about the process of reading. Audio books only work for me in certain circumstances, and I have to be in a particular frame of mind to properly enjoy them. Roll on no blur!

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 5:36 PM, Hux said:

The pain is mostly gone but it's still a blur in the right eye so no reading.

I listened to some Sherlock Holmes books on Youtube but I like the process of reading. 

It’s good that the pain is going, even though it’s very sad that you can’t read yet! Hopefully it won’t take too much longer.

I’m not the biggest audiobook fan either but, when I do listen to them, Sherlock Holmes is my favourite. If you sign up to audible for 99p you can get a very good audiobook of the entire Sherlock collection. Just don’t forget to cancel it straight away so you don’t pay next month :) 

Those drops and gel should help with the dryness and cornea issue. I know it can be frustrating not being able to see clearly, but rest assured that taking a break from reading and giving your eyes time to heal is important. Just think, when you're all healed up, you'll be able to enjoy a good book without any discomfort.

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

How are you getting on now, Hux?

It's getting there but taking forever. Doctor did tell me that once you damage the cornea (this is the second time), it's never the same again and takes much longer to heal.

Had five week off work. Finally back this week.

And I've almost finished 'Goodbye to Berlin' with my one good eye.

• Like 3