The Small House at Allington by Anthony Trollope

KEV67

Apparently John Major's favourite book, at least at one time. I am still not quite half way through. I was about 1% concerned that the most likeable characters in the book would end up marrying the wrong people, but I very much doubt Anthony Trollope would allow that to happen. Attitudes to marriage were much stricter in them days, particularly among the upper and middle classes. You could not mess people about.

I am not sure I rate Anthony Trollope in all honesty. The Way We Live Now was a good book. I think The Warden, the first in the Barchester Chronicles, had the merit of being different. Church politics does not come up that much in literature. The Little House at Allington strikes me as a C19th airport book.

Actually, I am wondering whether the book has started to find its subject. Framley Parsonage centred around a man who was not bad, but weak. This book, possibly centres around a man who is neither weak, nor bad, but vacillating, self-centred and shallow. I sort of feel for him. I did not like him, but since the author has started to report things from his point of view, I have started to sympathise.

• 1 month later...