A Christmas Reading Challenge

Hayley

How would everyone feel about a reading challenge this December!? The rules would be as follows:

• Categories to be suggested by members in this thread - the theme can be anything related to Christmas (e.g. 'read a mystery set at Christmas', or 'read a book with snow on the cover').
  • The suggested categories will be posted as a poll and we will all vote on our favourite categories. The three most popular categories will be this year's challenge. 
  • This means that you can choose any book that fits within the themes, although of course we will discuss which books we're picking and you may want to choose the same book as others who are participating!

If you have some ideas for categories already, please feel free to start posting them below! :cheers:

Ooooh great suggestions so far. I would like to throw in: A book about a toy or gift. I'm thinking along the lines of The Nutcracker by Hoffman or The Toy Makers by Robert Dinsdale but other interpretations welcome :lol:.

Also, a Christmas fantasy - for example, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe or Terry Pratchett's Hogfather.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

The Nutcracker is a great story and that's a good idea, as is a Christmas fantasy.

Thank you 😄 I’ve never actually read The Nutcracker, I just know the story from a cartoon film version I used to watch as a kid! 

Keep any suggestions coming everyone! I’m thinking we will do the poll next week, so we have time to vote and get our books sorted in time for December :) 

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

Thank you 😄 I’ve never actually read The Nutcracker, I just know the story from a cartoon film version I used to watch as a kid! 

Oh, it's a great story, I thoroughly recommend it.

Hans Christian Andersen, otoh, wrote some of my very favourite stories, one of which is The Snow Queen and another is The Sandman - completely different from Neil Gaiman's more famous tale, as far as I know - HCA's Sandman brings you a dream. It's also known as the Tale of Ole-Luk-Oie.

11 hours ago, Hayley said:

Keep any suggestions coming everyone! I’m thinking we will do the poll next week, so we have time to vote and get our books sorted in time for December :) 

Please do, they can't all come from me!

Edited by lunababymoonchild

The only book about misers I know other than A Christmas Carol is Silas Marner, which I think is a bit Christmassy. Children, cold weather, love over money, even religion.

Edited by KEV67
Marner not Mariner

In general I don't think much of ghost stories, but I remembered decades ago watching Mr Corbett's Ghost on television. I thought it was fabulous. The legendary John Huston acted in it. I do not know if it was based on a book. It is worth looking up on YouTube (as is Silas Marner with Ben Kingsley)

39 minutes ago, KEV67 said:

In general I don't think much of ghost stories, but I remembered decades ago watching Mr Corbett's Ghost on television. I thought it was fabulous. The legendary John Huston acted in it. I do not know if it was based on a book. It is worth looking up on YouTube (as is Silas Marner with Ben Kingsley)

There is a book called Mr Corbutt's Ghost by Leon Garfield and yes, the film starring John Huston was written by Leon Garfield.

54 minutes ago, KEV67 said:

Is The Happy Prince Christmas related?

Not really but it does have very Christian overtones, so why not?

Edited by lunababymoonchild

2 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:
2 hours ago, KEV67 said:

Is The Happy Prince Christmas related?

Not really but it does have very Christian overtones, so why not?

So one category as stories with a Christian theme? C.S Lewis could go in that one too. 

2 hours ago, KEV67 said:

The only book about misers I know other than A Christmas Carol is Silas Marner, which I think is a bit Christmassy

A book about a miser is a good one :) 

7 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Hans Christian Andersen, otoh, wrote some of my very favourite stories, one of which is The Snow Queen and another is The Sandman - completely different from Neil Gaiman's more famous tale, as far as I know - HCA's Sandman brings you a dream. It's also known as the Tale of Ole-Luk-Oie.

Mine too! I don’t think I know Sandman though, I’ll definitely look that one up. The Snow Queen would be a nice wintry Christmas read (although it freaked me out as a child!)

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

So one category as stories with a Christian theme? C.S Lewis could go in that one too. 

That's as good a category as any. I have a Tyndale translation of the New Testament in it's original spelling which I always intend to read so I could give that one a good go under that category.

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

Mine too! I don’t think I know Sandman though, I’ll definitely look that one up. The Snow Queen would be a nice wintry Christmas read (although it freaked me out as a child!)

Just love the Sandman and was jaw-dropped when my mother read me the Snow Queen at first. 

On 11/3/2022 at 6:20 PM, Hayley said:

How would everyone feel about a reading challenge this December!?

I love this idea of having different categories and fitting the books to the categories. I think it’s perfect for a site like this where we have not-a-lot of regular members who post, but those that do are readers of all different genres and tastes. It means we can all participate but not necessarily all have to read the same books.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:48 AM, Madeleine said:

I usually read Xmas themed books in December anyway, so count me in!

I must admit I do love reading a few holiday-related books in the run up to Christmas too, so I am definitely in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kudz said:

I love this idea of having different categories and fitting the books to the categories. I think it’s perfect for a site like this where we have not-a-lot of regular members who post, but those that do are readers of all different genres and tastes. It means we can all participate but not necessarily all have to read the same books.

I must admit I do love reading a few holiday-related books in the run up to Christmas too, so I am definitely in.

Feel free to jump in with suggestions for categories

On 11/7/2022 at 4:31 PM, lunababymoonchild said:

Feel free to jump in with suggestions for categories

Okay, here’s a few suggestions I have come up with so far –

• Read a book with snow on the cover or the word ‘snow’ in the title
  • Read a book with a red or green cover
  • Read a book set during Christmas
  • Read a book with the word ‘Christmas’ in the title
  • Read a book with a Christmas tree on the cover
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Madeleine said:

I have a few books already lined up, and they all have either the word "Christmas" or "snow" (both in one case).

You are well prepared 😄. The only book I have with Christmas in the title is A Christmas Carol, so I will need suggestions if that one is chosen!