Your Book Activity - November 2022

lunababymoonchild

• Brian. pinned this topic

At the moment I am currently reading:

• The Vaccine by Joe Miller
  • Echoes of War by Bernard Lovell

I am also thinking of starting Insurrection by Robyn Young so that I have some fiction on the go alongside the non-fiction.

Just given up on Primo Levi's The Periodic Table.  I know it's almost sacrilegious to say this in the light of all the praise heaped on it (and the Royal Institution's labelling it the greatest ever science book written - really?!), but I found this really tedious.  Genuinely struggled to stay awake reading it.  I've read about a third of it, and can't see why it's so highly rated.  2 stars out of 6.

On 11/1/2022 at 11:03 AM, Brian. said:

I am also thinking of starting Insurrection by Robyn Young so that I have some fiction on the go alongside the non-fiction.

I gave Insurrection a few chapters but it wasn’t grabbing me so I put it aside for the time being. Instead I picked up Before the Frost by Henning Mankell which is the only Linda Wallander book. Apparently Mankell had planned a trilogy of books but the actress who played Linda in the Swedish TV took her own life. He was so distressed over this that he couldn’t bring himself to write anymore books in the trilogy. 

Re-reading A,J.Cronin's 'The Stars Look Down'. A magnificent book about the class struggle and workers rights that was a rather good TV series many years ago, and a pretty poor film. The reason the film was poor, it only covered the first half of the book, and omitted all the political aspects that came later.

On 11/7/2022 at 10:01 PM, Hux said:

Currently reading 'Invisible Man' by Ralph Ellison.

Be interested to hear your opinion on Invisible Man, I have the paperback. I think you would be interested in Mysteries by Knut Hamsun. It's not as good, imho, as Hunger but it does centre on one man and his viewpoint, which I'm sure that you like.

• Like 1

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World. I found this book interesting, especially the parts dealing with Genghis Khan's (chaotic!) early life, the clever battle tactics the Mongols used, and the lasting effects to this day of the Mongol Empire. One of the better history books I've read. 

1 hour ago, Nergion said:

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World. I found this book interesting, especially the parts dealing with Genghis Khan's (chaotic!) early life, the clever battle tactics the Mongols used, and the lasting effects to this day of the Mongol Empire. One of the better history books I've read. 

I’m tempted to buy this for my sister (she was reading a fiction book set during the rule of Gengis Khan and loved it!). She doesn’t usually read non-fiction history books but I’ve seen a lot of good reviews of this one! 

• Like 1

Finished Everyone Knows Your Mother Is A Witch by Rivka Galchen.  Very interesting subject material, but distinctly unimpressed with the book itself. 2stars out of 6.

Currently reading the non-fiction book the novel is based on: The Astronomer and the Witch by Ulinka Rublack, about the scientist Johannes Kepler's defence of his mother against charges of being a witch.  Vastly better - well written and absorbing.

I picked up the first seven books in the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths today. Haven’t read anything by this author before but have heard good things about her, specifically about this series, so thought I’d give them ago. The good news is that I did borrow them from my local library rather than buy them so that’s progress!