Where do you get yours?

skysky69

I buy new from Waterstones, Amazon and supermarkets. I also like bargains from charity shops too but i have joined my library and i love it so much so i am addicted and am forever ordering books from them online it is a cheap way of getting my online shopping buzz.

Also alot of the books i have read from the library are brand new too!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the town I'm in (30,000 population), there's one bookshop which is basically a stationers with five shelves of books!!! :lol:

How frustrating for you. ;) My friend moved to spain yesterday </off topic!>

When I went to Majorca on holiday I couldn't help noticing how expensive the English books were.

I will get my books from anywhere. I mostly buy or swap for secondhand because I sell or swap them out when I am finished. I try not to buy brand new unless I know I am going to keep them. It's hard though and I am always looking in Waterstones, I try to stick to their 3 for 2 offers and half price offers. I also use The Works, Heart Foundation shop, PDSA shop, RISI and greenmetropolis.

I usually get my books from charity shops (good quality books only) and super markets. However the second largest second hand book shop in alnwick (Barter Books) is amazing. its a beautiful converted train station with all original features and beautiful new and very old books. reasonable prices too. Anyone been to it yet?

I've been to Barter Books several times (I try to go every time I'm visiting family in Northumberland, but it doesn't always work out that way). I can easily spend an entire day in there, just getting lost among the stacks and flicking through all those lovely books!

• 7 months later...
I've been to Barter Books several times (I try to go every time I'm visiting family in Northumberland, but it doesn't always work out that way). I can easily spend an entire day in there, just getting lost among the stacks and flicking through all those lovely books!

I have a friend who knows of Barter books and she raves about it too. They have a cottage at Bamborough and goese there sometimes when they are down that way. It's an old station isn't it?

I can't stand second hand books so I buy all mine new, mainly from Waterstones or Asda. Borders was also great for offers but they closed the local one down. There's also a shop in Manchester Town Centre called Fropp which has books at a reasonable price and also The Works which has some good bargains.

I get mine from charity shops and often they are almost new!! I would never buy new, they are far too expensive. The only way I would get a new book is if I were given one or given a book token. I think its a waste of money unless they are classics or reference book, but even these you can get from second hand book shops.

i get my books from where ever i find them! bookstores, newsagents, charity shops, second hand or book exchanges.. i cannot go past a book sale! i also buy ebooks online, or download free classics or old pulp fiction.. i like Borders' coupons too, they come in email weekly, and always look at the bargain shelves there!

i like Borders' coupons too, they come in email weekly, and always look at the bargain shelves there!

I'm exactly the same as you (except the book exchange - haven't done that). Borders is slowly sending me broke with their vouchers. Every Friday morning I get one in my inbox, just in time to duck out at morning tea and use it.

My supervisor gets them too and insists that I don't have to use the voucher just because they sent it, but you have to take advantage, right? You don't know how long it'll be until the next 30% off voucher comes around (although they seem to pretty frequent lately). :)

I took a voucher in on Monday and ended up getting a 3 for 2 deal as well. :)

I hardly ever buy books nowadays :). As much as I would still like to have nice, shiny, hardbacks I can't justify the cost anymore. Especially as my two eldest children are reading at such a speed that I could not keep up with purchasing new books even if I would be able to afford it. So, library it is for us - although it took a long time for me to get used to 'used' books. Especially as I so hate how some people treat the books :)

I'm exactly the same as you (except the book exchange - haven't done that). Borders is slowly sending me broke with their vouchers. Every Friday morning I get one in my inbox, just in time to duck out at morning tea and use it.

just chuckling here.. and g'day mate! we aussies are everywhere! :)

chuckling because i know only too well what you mean... my husband prints them out too, so i head into Borders with two coupons, my husband takes one of my choices to the checkout, and i usually end up with a trilogy.. :) there's no hope for us hey?

i don't go to the book exchange often, and i don't always have books to exchange, i just buy them. :) give away my books? never!! :) altho i ws in a book club, and bought a few books i really did not want to keep, thought i may as well swap them out..

What's worse is that I print out each voucher several times and usually use them at least twice. I have 3 sitting on my desk right now. I thought the offer ended yesterday for some reason but just realised it's today. I'm being strong though, and staying away from the book shops. :)

• 2 months later...

Hand-me-downs, charity shops, car boots, 2nd hand book shops...I also just joined the library but they have a limited selection of English books and I'm not a fan of reading books that have been translated into Spanish.

My favourite 2nd hand book shop lets you give back the books you've bought your take in your own books and they give you credit for them. I share an account there with my parents and I don't think we've actually payed for a book in about 3 years because of the amount of credit we have.

I rarely buy brand new books anymore because I don't have a job and I can't expect my parents to keep buying me new books (although they do, occasionally) but when I do I usually use Amazon.

Currently mostly amazon marketplace or play.com secondhand sellers...Much cheaper than new books and the copies marked as being in 'good' or 'very good' state are often as good as new with just a few signs of having been well read and loved...

The library is good too.