Victober 2022

Hayley

Last year I really enjoyed our Victober reading challenge. Would anybody like to join me in another this year!? 

We would be reading books/short fiction/poetry either written in or set in the Victorian era, with votes for the texts over the weekend and a start date of Monday, October 3rd. 

1 hour ago, Hayley said:

Last year I really enjoyed our Victober reading challenge. Would anybody like to join me in another this year!? 

We would be reading books/short fiction/poetry either written in or set in the Victorian era, with votes for the texts over the weekend and a start date of Monday, October 3rd. 

I enjoyed it too. I'm in.

17 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I believe so. Last year there were three, in different categories. I also think that they should be reasonably short

I agree it is better if they are not too long. However, didn't we read different things last year?

Maybe Agnes Grey. That is quite short, although not much fun I don't think. I did quite like Anne Bronte's Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

The way we did it last year was by specific challenges. After the vote we had 'read a sensation novel', 'read several chapters from a penny blood/ penny dreadful' and 'read something Victorian and gothic'. We didn't have to all choose Lady Audley's Secret for the sensation novel, but we did :lol:. If I remember correctly, Luna and I chose a Frey and McGray book for the 'gothic' challenge, while Kev chose Dracula?

I think it works nicely that way because it gives people a bit more choice - and we still ended up having interesting conversations when we weren't reading the exact same books!

I would like to throw in the suggestion... A Victorian Ghost Story 

13 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

I have read Uncle Silas too.

How about The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield ?

Both of these are on my to-read list!

12 hours ago, KEV67 said:

Maybe Agnes Grey. That is quite short, although not much fun I don't think.

It's good but I definitely wouldn't describe it as fun 😅. This could become a 'read a Bronte book' category? I think The Professor is nearly as short as Agnes Grey, but I haven't read that one. 

33 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

There's not much to choose from in the Victorian Sensationalist category and they are all either impossibley expensive - by which I mean over £20 - or very long - by which I mean in the region of 600 pages.

What kind of books were you thinking of? Like the penny blood ones?

If anybody wants it, by the way, last years thread is here: 

5 hours ago, Hayley said:

The way we did it last year was by specific challenges. After the vote we had 'read a sensation novel', 'read several chapters from a penny blood/ penny dreadful' and 'read something Victorian and gothic'. We didn't have to all choose Lady Audley's Secret for the sensation novel, but we did :lol:. If I remember correctly, Luna and I chose a Frey and McGray book for the 'gothic' challenge, while Kev chose Dracula?

I think it works nicely that way because it gives people a bit more choice - and we still ended up having interesting conversations when we weren't reading the exact same books!

I would like to throw in the suggestion... A Victorian Ghost Story 

Agreed and seconded

It's good but I definitely wouldn't describe it as fun 😅. This could become a 'read a Bronte book' category? I think The Professor is nearly as short as Agnes Grey, but I haven't read that one. 

Seconded

What kind of books were you thinking of? Like the penny blood ones?

We could do that

If anybody wants it, by the way, last years thread is here: 

That's why I couldn't find it, I spelled it incorrectly!

Copy of last year's poll :

1 Read something that was written for Victorian children (including poetry, fiction and non-fiction).

2 Read something Victorian and Gothic.

3 Read several chapters from a Penny Blood / Penny Dreadful.

4 Read a sensation novel (e.g. Lady Audley's Secret / The Woman in White).

5 Read something from a Victorian periodical .

6 Read a memoir or life story of a Victorian person, not necessarily famous...

7 Read a story relating to the clergy.

I'm finding it hard to find a suitable sensation novel so can we replace 4 with “Read a Victorian ghost story” ?

And how about replacing 5 with “Read a Bronte novel”?

All other suggestions welcome

41 minutes ago, KEV67 said:

Don't think we should have 3 again. The Penny Dreadful I read last year was indeed dreadful. 

You can do as many or as little as you like. I'm choosing different categories to that which I did last year.

33 minutes ago, KEV67 said:

How about read an academic paper about a Victorian novel? There must be some sloshing around free on the internet.

I am fine with replacing 4 & 5 with a ghost story and a Brontë.

There are books on Victorian novels and Sensation novels

22 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

There's not much to choose from in the Victorian Sensationalist category and they are all either impossibley expensive - by which I mean over £20 - or very long - by which I mean in the region of 600 pages.

Three Men in a Boat, Jerome K Jerome could be a candidate for Victorian Novel

Three Men in a Boat is a late Victorian comedy. I thought it was autobiographical. Diary of a Nobody is in the same vein but I think that is fiction. Late Victorian books were rather different to early and mid. They often seem more Edwardian to me.

Edited by KEV67

14 hours ago, KEV67 said:

How about read an academic paper about a Victorian novel? There must be some sloshing around free on the internet.

Yeah, this would be a good category. The Victorian Popular Fictions Journal has some great free ones: Victorian Popular Fictions Journal – Victorian Popular Fiction Association 

32 minutes ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Tomorrow is October so I propose that we move along accordingly.

I'll start a thread with the categories and participants can choose which they want to do. As many or as few as suits them. 

Well that saves me a job, thank you :lol:. This would be a different set up to last year - as we all voted for our top three categories and were therefore reading books from those same three categories. But I'm happy for there to be a more open choice this year if everyone wants to try that out instead!

• Like 1