Any New Year Reading Resolutions?

Mia

Have you made any New Year's resolutions regarding reading? Perhaps to get that TBR pile reduced to the last 100, or not to buy as many books? (as if!)

Mine is to finish the last book of a series. Usually I do, as I'm dying to know what happens, but I just had a quick look at my TBR pile yesterday and found at least 3 books that are the final part of a series, and I haven't read them! And I've had them for ages! So I'm going to try and concentrate on those first.

What about you?

I'm taking part in quite a few reading challengesin 2008 (some of which are continuing from what I did this year and a couple of very-long-term ones too), as well as two new ones:

Long Term Challenges:

1001 Challenge

Olympic Challenge

Continuing Challenges:

Classics Challenge

Modern Classics Challenge

Chunk Challenge

New Challenges:

What's in a Name? Challenge

TBR Challenge

I'm going to try and read 100 books during 2008. Only made it to 70 this year, which wasn't even as many as last year which was 74, so this year I'm determined to read 100. I'm also participating in the same two new challenges that Kell is participating in.

I will read all of Jane Austen's books this year, with the J.A. Book Group. I also want to read at least one new author a month, someone I've never read before. I'm a safe reader: I often stick to authors I know, and re-read more books than new ones. That is what I want to change!

This year I am not going to persevere with anything I am finding tedious to read. I am just going to make sure I read only things I enjoy reading! I tried to read too many books this/last year (it is rapildy approaching midnight as I type) that I wasted time on and didn't enjoy and should have given up reading much earlier than I did. There is so much good stuff to read in the world and not enough time to read it!

There is so much good stuff to read in the world and not enough time to read it!

Ain't that the truth!

I've started a stack of new reading challenges this year, which can be found here.

I'm also going to try to restrict my book buying to less than 100 books (I think I bought around 200 in 2007).

I have two main things.

1) Read books from my TBR pile to get that down a bit

2) Keep a more accurate record of books read and what I think about them.

oh ok and 1 more

3) Keep things like librarything and my blog up to date- and stop letting my reading slide:)

I second that. I discovered my TBR contains no less than 25 books and there are loads of other books I want to read.:friends0: I am determined to get that list down.

Time travel? :D

:friends0:

To buy less books, adding them to my wish list rather than my bookshelf

To read more. I should try to read every night.

To plan ahead less and get less stressed about my reading schedule. I always have loads of books lined up which makes my reading less spontaneous.

It's hard to pin down specific books, so I only can say that I want to [for once] read more books than I buy. :friends0:

That's an admirable goal, Pontalba. I wish I could do the same but I'm afraid I don't have that much self-control :D I'll settle for only buying twice as many books as I read (I tend to read about 50 per year).

Hmmm I've just checked my TBR list and my wishlist on LibraryThing and they total 60 - I read 45 books this year - and then on top of my existing lists I'm sure I will read about some other good books on here - looks like my TBR list is going to be massive this year.