Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

purple95

It's cold in Florida this morning and I have outside chores to do. I'm stalling...........

Just for fun I looked back at my have-read list for 2006 and 2007 and found that only 35% of the books I read in that time were fiction. I would have guessed that number to be much higher.

I have several life long interests and hobbies. I search out and read books on these and strive to learn from them. While I derive great satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment from this, it does not provide the guilty pleasures associated with devouring a novel by King, Oates, Turtledove, et al.

Perhaps I thought the percentage of NF to be higher that it actually was is because I derive more "guilty pleasure" from fiction than I do from non-fiction.

What say you?

What are your percentages of Fic vs. N-F? I get the impression from reading the posts here that most of you are reading far more fiction as a total percentage that I am. Are you too perhaps reading more non-fiction than you suppose but enjoying it less?

Merry Christmas,

dan :(

I have to say that I have a 100% fiction score for this year. Come to think of it I don't really enjoy non-fiction books. I can't remember any non-fiction book that I have read in the past couple of years. For some reason they just don't seem interesting to me.

I love non fiction, but that is because I have a lot of books on my favourite subjects. I haven't read any this year apart from dipping into my bible dictionaries, as those books were behind a wardrobe until recently. I will get round to reading them now that they are in my room (if I concentrate with the children).

Without actually going and counting up, I would hazard a guess at approximately 2% of my reading being non-fiction. I am predominently a reader of fiction and it's very rarely that I'll find a non-fiction title that will really grab my attention - I have to be specifically looking for something, information-wise.

I'm probably 60% fiction, 40% non-fiction in terms of books; but probably 25% fiction 75% non-fiction in terms of time readin. I tend to fnid non-fiction, with its innate lack of contained, constructed narrative, takes me longer to read. I think my percentages would be higher for fiction but for the fact that everyone buys me non-fiction books as gifts.

I have several life long interests and hobbies. I search out and read books on these and strive to learn from them. :(

So do I. Amateur astronomy, space exploration, paranormal phenomena, unexplained true mysteries, the Titanic, World War II, the Dravidian culture, the Knights Templar and the enigmatic English mystic Roger Bacon are among my various interests. I have got books on these subjects and several others and spends a lot of time reading and researching on them.

Offhand, I'd say I read 70% NF and 30% F; included in the latter would be reading and re-reading from my vast comic collection.

Writeoff said;

I also read quiz books in the hope that one week my team will win the pub quiz. How sad is that?

Not sad. Any reading is good and learning about things is satisfying and useful.

I would have to say that I read more non-fiction. I have loads of hobbies and interests, and read lots of biographies too. Probably 70% NF to 30% F.

Lovesreading...non-fiction includes all sorts of books, such as reference books about any subject under the sun. Could be cross stitch, gardening, astronomy, crayfish, Eskimos...anything. Also books like dictionaries, or manuals for learning, like learning a language, or studying something, like first aid. Then there are the biograpgies and auto-biographies, and things like mewspapers and magazines. I'm sure you probably read non fiction without even realising it!:lol:

Pp

• 1 month later...

I read predominantly non fiction also, but then again, I am a non fiction writer (mostly mind, body and spirit/religion). After five years spent writing my book, and updating it last year, I mist admit though that I have really enjoyed going back to reading some really good novels written by writing friends.

I'll most certainly be picking up a few pregnancy and baby books from the library at the weekend, so I'll be reading a little more non-fiction than I usually do!

• 3 weeks later...