Noob Intro and First Question

purple95

Good Evening,

I'm the new guy with his first post.

I've been lurking on book forums for several years but just never joined. This one appears to be one of the more interesting.

Mrs. purple95 and I are both semi-retired and living the good life in Florida. We are both avid readers. I average around 100/yr while she trails that a bit.

I hope to contribute here from time to time.

My first question:

How do you all manage your TBR lists? I have tried several methods but find some fault with all of them. My two "best" so far are a pocket notebook that I keep updated and a Word document that I regularly edit and print out. Besides keeping a list of the books themselves of course, I take the list with me to the library for use there.

Anyone have a wonderful, user friendly, TBR list method?

Thanks,

dan :readingtwo:

Welcome to the forum Dan! Nice to have you here.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I try to keep updated, but mostly I prefer to use LibraryThing. There are quite a few members here who use it. One useful feature is that you can tag your books any way you like. One quick glance at my tags tells me I have read 284 books on my 'TBR' pile and 221 on my 'read' pile. Slightly skewed figures there and I'm hoping to tip the scales the other way next year :readingtwo:

I also keep some simple text files on my iPod of books and authors that I'm interested in. I often go blank on author's names in bookshops so I can just turn on my iPod and look up the relevant note to remind me what I'm searching for. Very handy!

Hi, Dan, and :readingtwo: to the forum! See if you can persuade Mrs Purple to join too. :readingtwo:

My TBR mountain is actually kept in a separate place from the rest of my books - Ihave several shelves under my computer desk and that's where they live, periodically jumping out and biting my ankles, estering me to choose them next! They're all double-shelved, as there are so many of them, but I try to keep all the ones that are on the list of Peter Boxall's 1001 Books to Read Before you Die together on one shelf (I have almost 50 of those ones waiting at the moment).

I'm fully willing to admit Mount TBR is well out of control, but it's a problem about which I have little, if any, desire to do anything - I LOVE always having a massive choice of books from which I can choose my next read. :blush:

Hope you have a fun time here. And seriously, get your missus to join up too - the more, the merrier!

Welcome! :readingtwo:

I just keep all my books on my shelf. I know which ones I have read and which ones I have not. When the time comes for a new read I just go through my book shelf and pick the one that best suits my current mood/interest.

My 'to read' books are on the hall bookcase. Read books that I wish to keep are on the lounge bookcase.

All of my hubby's books are upstairs in the bookcase in the spare room (he's only recently started reading for pleasure).

As for what I want to read - I keep a small (A6, I think) green notebook in my handbag for trips to The Bookbarn or Waterstones/WHS with various titles (and a list from my Mum!) that I want scribbled in it in a very random order. I thought about an index/address book so that I could put them in alphabetical order, but I've never quite got round to it!

Welcome to the forum, btw. :readingtwo:

Welcome to the forum! I'm not very anal about my TBR lists, since I love to re-read books just as much as reading new ones. I keep a general TBR list on my blog, and I've cataloged my books on my computer. I haven't gotten to all of them, so I've only managed to catalog about 350. I usually just have a vague idea of what I want to read next, but I always end up changing my mind.:readingtwo:

Adam said

I just keep all my books on my shelf. I know which ones I have read and which ones I have not. When the time comes for a new read I just go through my book shelf and pick the one that best suits my current mood/interest

I'm with you on that one Adam.However, like many other folks I do you Libraything, and I do sometimes have a list, but really its down to stumbling across a book that looks interesting, or picking on that suits my mood at the time.

Welcome to the forum Dan. You will obviously fit in here very well...look how you got the discussion going! Lol.

Love the ID...:readingtwo:

Yes, encourage Mrs Purple to come along too.

Have fun!

Pp

I have a list on here of books I want to read, some of which I have, and some of which I need to get, but I mainly just go and get whichever book suits my mood off the shelf, unless, like at the moment I know which books I want to read. I am trying to catch up on a few reading circles, but have recently had a couple of months where I have not been able to read much (i call it transitional time between warm and cold seasons).

As for where I keep my books, I generally have my text/fiction books together on separate shelves in my bedroom, OHs books together in the living room (with my pregnancy and recipe books), and my children's books are in the baby's room.

welcome aboard dan!!!! this is a really friendly place with lots of friendly people who talk books..books and then more books..... as for my tbr pile what ive done is put several books in my bag that i know i want to read immediately and then go to my headboard and take some more- carm

I only read 20 - 25 books a year so it doesn't take a lot of managing, but I keep the books on the shelf and manage my 'to read next' list and my wish list via the reading list/blog section of this site.

Oh and welcome by the way :readingtwo:

I keep a TBR list on here but on the whole I'm very good at remembering.

As for where I keep those books, I like to keep them on the shelf. Each one is generally kept with those of the same author or sets. Years of habit! I also have about 10 books on the computer desk because I have run out of shelf space and no matter how I arrange things I can't sqeeze them in. :readingtwo:

My library books are kept in a seperate pile near the computer desk.

Hello and welcome!

:readingtwo: Welcome, purple95!

As for TBR lists, I've pretty much given up keeping one, except for books I'm absolutely desperate to read - those I keep a list of on my Palm. There are so many books I'd love to read, that to list them all would take forever, as I'd constantly be updating it. :readingtwo:

Guest fireball
Good Evening,

I'm the new guy with his first post.

I've been lurking on book forums for several years but just never joined. This one appears to be one of the more interesting.

Mrs. purple95 and I are both semi-retired and living the good life in Florida. We are both avid readers. I average around 100/yr while she trails that a bit.

I hope to contribute here from time to time.

My first question:

How do you all manage your TBR lists? I have tried several methods but find some fault with all of them. My two "best" so far are a pocket notebook that I keep updated and a Word document that I regularly edit and print out. Besides keeping a list of the books themselves of course, I take the list with me to the library for use there.

Anyone have a wonderful, user friendly, TBR list method?

Thanks, dan :lol:

And very warm 705quailwelcomeinner1zy2.jpg to the site and I echo the let your other have join too. Two for the price of one eh! :readingtwo:

As to your query,? when I get new books, I give it the 'once over' then tell the site "Which books came into your home today?",

after that I keep the acquired book/s in their bag, write on a piece of paper the name of book and author/res, (I've quite LOT of those!:readingtwo:) and it 'joins' the rest to be read lot. (quite ALOT of those too! :blush:) mainly because I'd forget them. ! doh.jpg