Supergran71's read list

supergran71

Helpless by Barbar Goudy I have finished and have now moved on to

. Not sure if I am going to do a review of Helpless, I will think about it.

Have just finished 'Helpless' Ann. Really enjoyed it. I had no idea what the outcome was going to be. Was a different kind of read to my normal. I see what you mean about doing/not doing a review. It is one of those books that it would be difficult to review without giving too much of the plot away.:D

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Persuasion - by Jane Austen

This seemed to me a much more mature Austen that those that have gone before. It was almost a new read for me because I think it was many years ago that I first read it. I really enjoyed it, felt comfortable with all the characters, particularly Anne Eliot and Captain Wentworth. However it was quite easy to guess the outcomes of the various "couplings" and intrigue. I also wish that the ending hadnt been so quick. A little more detail of how the family received the news would have been interesting. I would also have been happier if Mr Eliot had been "found out" and received his come uppance.

I am now in reading nowhere land, trying to decide what to read next.:D

I finished Persuasion yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had the same problem as you though in that I felt the ending was a little rushed. Indeed, this is a small problem I have with all of Austen's works, although I hate mentioning it because they're such wonderful reads otherwise! :D

Why not try going back to one of your all time favourites from the past? I do that when I hit a reading block, or lose my reading mojo as some say, and it usually kick starts me again! Or just grab a magazine and flip through that looking or short articles that will keep your attention until your mojo returns? Anyway, just a few thoughts to consider. Take care Supergran. Hope your cold is gone soon. :blush:

Thanks Diane and WG. I decided I needed to read something light and "fluffy" and took your advice WG by picking up a Penny Vincenzi book. I have enjoyed many of hers in the past. Well it has worked and I am well into "Forbidden Places". Nothing too taxing but quite fun to read, especially as it is set in a period I have always found fascinating - the late 30's just before the war - a whole different world to now.

Glad I could help, and that your mojo is back! Happy reading. :):blush:

Thanks Diane and WG. I decided I needed to read something light and "fluffy" and took your advice WG by picking up a Penny Vincenzi book. I have enjoyed many of hers in the past. Well it has worked and I am well into "Forbidden Places". Nothing too taxing but quite fun to read, especially as it is set in a period I have always found fascinating - the late 30's just before the war - a whole different world to now.

• 3 weeks later...

Been away for aa few days.

Finished Forbidden Places and Sheer Abandon both by Penny Vincenzi and both very easy reads and very enjoyable.

Am now starting to read 2 books -

The Stand by Stephen King and

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Good start on both, think I will enjoy them.

I wasnt getting on too well with The Interpretation of Murder, but the night before last I read a passage that I found rivetting. I thought how clever the author was to paint such a vivid word picture of a really tense scene. Am continuing now with high hopes that I am going to enjoy it.
I love that book!

:welcome2:

I am still plodding away with The Stand and enjoying it. I am nearing the end of the section called Captain Trips. The next section is call On the Border. I am enjoying his style of writing and his amazing imagination. I will have to have a break soon to start on the choice of the book group I have joined - Small Island by Andrea Levy

Have put aside The Stand having reached the end of the first section. I now have to get stuck into Small Island by Andrea Levy for the U3A Book Club which I have joined. Have already read the first couple of chapters and am finding it interesting so far. Shouldnt think it will take long to read, 1 week if I am lucky lol

Am plodding along with Small Island and am making progress. One of the characters called Hortense is becoming more rounded and real to me now.

I found Hortence really difficult at first but liked her by the end- shes quite vulnerable really.

Like your new profile pic by the way

I am finding Small Island very enjoyable after all. I was a child during the period this book was set so am finding it easy to relate to the storyline. It has provoked a lot of memories too and I am being shocked by some of the attitudes such as

the way people view the black people coming over on the Windrush, but also the way some people treated those families who were bombed out, sometimes more than once and didn't see why they should help or provide them with a roof over their heads. Quite shocking I feel

. I am looking forward to discussing this book at the next meeting of my reading group.

I have just finished Small Island by Andrea Levy which I enjoyed immensely. Its difficult for me to find words to describe how this book made me feel, it was so very good in every way I can think of. The writing, the humour, the characters and the social history. I liked the ending as well. She dealt with what was (and still is I suppose) an inflammatory subject in a very even handed and non-condemnatory way which earns my greatest respect. I would recommend this book to anyone and give it 10/10.

I am now looking forward to discussing it at my book group on 11th November.