Historical Fiction

Kell

I fancy reading some historical fiction based in feudal Japan, Ninja, Samurai, that sort of thing. Preferably based on real events/facts. In fact anything based in the far east would be of interest or anything related to Buddhism. Any suggestions? I've read Conn Iggulden's conqueror series and have Siddhartha high on the tbr pile

Also a mate of mine was asking about historical fiction set in ancient Greece; Spartans and all that?

Edited by FaustoMerckx

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fancy reading some historical fiction based in feudal Japan, Ninja, Samurai, that sort of thing. Preferably based on real events/facts. In fact anything based in the far east would be of interest or anything related to Buddhism. Any suggestions? I've read Conn Iggulden's conqueror series and have Siddhartha high on the tbr pile

Also a mate of mine was asking about historical fiction set in ancient Greece; Spartans and all that?

Hi, have you tried any of the James Clavell books. Shogun is amazing and Noble House is also good but I would recommend Shogun first as it fits nicely round feudal Japan.

• 1 month later...
I'm going to start Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow this weekend, I've never read any historical fiction. I'm praying for a book that I don't give up on halfway through, because that's all I seem to have done this month.

Good luck, JCW! :smile2: Historical fiction is by far my genre of choice so I hope you enjoy your start into it. Let us know if you're looking for any suggestions for more :).

• 1 month later...

I've started Possession by A. S. Byatt, author of the more well known The Children's Book and I'M LOVING IT. I also boughtThe Children's Book and can't wait to start reading it as soon as I've finished this one.

Possession is about two scholars who are tracing the lives and possible affair of two Victorian poets through their letters, journals, poetry etc. It's extremely detailed and I find quite easy to read. If I enjoy The Children's Book half as much, I'd say Byatt won't be long becoming my new favourite Historical Fiction author.

Oooh, I'd love to hear your fully-fledged thoughts on Possession once you've finished it, Noll - I have had my sights set on the prettiful FS edition for ages but I need to be reasonably sure I'll like it before investing that kind of money...!

Well I'm nearly 200 pages in and so far it's easy to read, wonderfully detailed (including quotes, poems and short stories by the poets) and quite complex. Only thing I would say is, as with a lot of these kinds of books, the main characters (the ones doing the research) are rather flat and get lost amidst the plot, which moves along very conveniently for them. I love it, but I also loved The Shakespeare Secret, and that didn't go down too well overall on here.

I didn't mind the Shakespeare Secret - up until

the ninjaesque chase scene through the library

:D which is when the book got hurled (metaphorically, it having been lent to me)!

• 3 weeks later...

I used to read a lot of historical books when I was about 13/14. There was this Dutch writer; Simone v/d Vlucht who's written a lot of historical childrens/young adult books about Jean D'Arc and witches and stuff. I loved her books!

But I guess I haven't read a lot of historical fiction lately.. it's a shame really, 'cause I really like 'em. Same with movies; historical movies are the best!

Can anyone recommend a book about the plague?

I've started Possession by A. S. Byatt, author of the more well known The Children's Book and I'M LOVING IT. I also boughtThe Children's Book and can't wait to start reading it as soon as I've finished this one.

Possession is about two scholars who are tracing the lives and possible affair of two Victorian poets through their letters, journals, poetry etc. It's extremely detailed and I find quite easy to read. If I enjoy The Children's Book half as much, I'd say Byatt won't be long becoming my new favourite Historical Fiction author.

I have this on my TBR pile so would be interested to hear what your opinions are on it.

Can anyone recommend a book about the plague?

I know a few people were reading 'A Year Of Wonders' by Geraldine Brooks for a US Book Ring. It's based on a true story. Here's the blurb,

Year of Wonders is historical fiction of the highest order--absolutely convincing in its period detail, filled with full-blooded characters who arouse one's deepest empathy, and driven by a story of striking immediacy. In 1665, the North of England remains untouched by the plague that is ravaging London. Then, in a small, close-knit community of lead miners and hill farmers, a bolt of cloth has no way of knowing that the damp fabric carries within its folds the deadly bubonic infection. Confronted with a scourge beyond remedy or understanding, the villagers turn in desperation to sorcery, herb lore, and murderous witch hunting--to no effect. Finally, led by a young and charismatic preacher, they elect to isolate themselves in a quarantine that may only deepen the tragedy. Told through the eyes of hard-working, inquisitive Anna Firth, who at age 18 must contend with the loss of her family and the disintegration of her community, Year of Wonders explores love and learning, fear and fanaticism, and the struggle of science and religion to interpret the world on the cusp of the modern era.

I discovered historial books thanks to Mireille Calmel who is a French writer.

This author is absolutely amazing ! Her books are a mix of history, magic, fantasy, love and plots ! (what a mix, isn't it? :) But believe me it's still a historical book ^^)

In all of her books we really feel very close to the characters, it's stunning !

The very first book I read was "Eleonor's bed" which is about Eleonor of Aquitaine (here's a link if you want to know about the first volume :.... ok I can't post links yet ;) ! It'll come later :lol:)

But my favourite one was "Lady Pirate" which is about the life of Mary Read. She's the kind of character I really adore !

Here's the summary I found on xoeditions.com:)

"

London, 1696.

Dressed up as a boy since her childhood to get educated, Mary keeps her male clothes on when she has to manage on her own after her mother

I'm getting Fatherland tomorrow, looking forward to reading it over the weekend, not had much luck with books this month the two I've had have been nothing short of :). Anyone read it?

I read Fatherland ages ago and really enjoyed it, the idea of what might have happened if the Germans had won WWII is truly eye opening, it sort of portrays dark and paranoid societies across the world. Its been ages though so can't remember any of the details, they did make a film of it with Rutger Hauer in the title role it was panned though.

Any one wanting to try a new author would not go wrong with S J Parris and her debut novel Heresy. It is about a monk who escaped the Inquisition in Italy and comes to Elizabethan England when being a practicing Catholic is a hanging offence. More twists and turns as a murderer in Oxford is sought. Any fan of C J Sansom will not be disappointed

Maybe a stupid question but is there a 'master' of historical fiction, an author who is widely regarded like Stephen King is for example, in the horror genre, within historical fiction?

I guess it largely depends on the era but are there prominent authors to look out for? Historical fiction is becoming more and more 'my thing' by the minute.

Maybe a stupid question but is there a 'master' of historical fiction, an author who is widely regarded like Stephen King is for example, in the horror genre, within historical fiction?

I guess it largely depends on the era but are there prominent authors to look out for? Historical fiction is becoming more and more 'my thing' by the minute.

I did a quick Google and found this. I should imagine that they should have some suggestions there, after all the ones you will be getting from the people here :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hello! Just joining in a bit of Historical Fiction chatter. I've not read a lot of historical fiction so reading through this thread has given me some good ideas. I've recently finished reading Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran, I'd also recommend two of her earlier novels Nefertiti and The Heretic Queen also set in ancient Eygpt. I got really carried away with the descriptions of the exotic colours and fabrics and costumes, I also really enjoy the long descriptions of food and the rules or social structures of the time.

I'm not sure if this counts as historical fiction but has anyone read any of Kate Furnivall's novels? Set in China and Russia from 1929 onwards. It's epic stuff full of scandal and lots of secretive behaviour! Just spotted on amazon that she has a new book due out in November :-)