Historical Fiction

Kell

The Virgin Blue is the one Chevalier that I've not yet read Mexicola but I do have it I think. I loved Lady and the Unicorn though, it was so interesting to read about tapestry making! I loved it :tong:. Have you read anything by Susan Vreeland? I enjoy her very much, and her 'Girl in Hyacinth Blue' reminds me of Chevalier.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I haven't read any Susan Vreeland, peacefield. I've been after some new authors to get into and would love to try something that's a bit like Chevalier. Thanks for the recommendation :(

Vreeland is excellent, Mexicola, and writes historical fiction featuring artists, which is exactly what I love! :exc: The one I mentioned features a Vermeer painting and is neat because it moves backwards in time. I can also recommend 'The Passion of Artemisia' and a book of short stories called 'Life Studies.' She also wrote 'Luncheon of the Boating Party' which I think has been reviewed on BCF. I have it but haven't read it yet. Oh! And she also wrote 'The Forest Lover' which I have yet to own or read. :tong:

Vreeland is excellent, Mexicola, and writes historical fiction featuring artists, which is exactly what I love! :exc: The one I mentioned features a Vermeer painting and is neat because it moves backwards in time. I can also recommend 'The Passion of Artemisia' and a book of short stories called 'Life Studies.' She also wrote 'Luncheon of the Boating Party' which I think has been reviewed on BCF. I have it but haven't read it yet. Oh! And she also wrote 'The Forest Lover' which I have yet to own or read. :tong:

Just looking some of them up on Amazon. I can see the Chevalier similarities.

..I feel an order coming on! :(

• 1 month later...

I am re-reading I, Claudius by Robert Graves after many years.

The book is written as an autobiography, recently unearthed. Graves was a classicist, and so the book contains some of his creative, but very logical, guesswork as to what might have been the motivations behind many ancient Romans. He also fills in gaps in the historical record with interesting theories.

There is not a great amount of dialogue, since that would not have been the style of an ancient author. But certainly the characters and their interactions come to life most vividly!

Many might know the book as a mini-series on the BBC in the 1970's, with Derek Jacobi as the nervous, sensitive, stuttering Claudius.

I have to say that I'm tired so I haven't read every single post here yet, but wanted to comment anyways. I don't know if you would consider the following a historical fiction writer, but I do. It's Steve Berry. I love reading his books because he brings history alive and it keeps you on the edge of your seat because of all the action taking place.

His books start out in modern day dealing with the mysteries left over from history. You learn about history through the search for answers the characters are looking for. The other cool thing about his books is at the end he tells you what he made up and what was part of the real history.

I really only hated one of his books (The Third Secret) and have loved the rest. He has picked some really good topics to cover in his books. Here are some of his books if your interested:

The Amber Room (2003) (About the Amber Room stolen during World War II)

The Romanov Prophecy (2004) (About what happened to the Romanov's and if anyone really did survive)

The Third Secret (2005) (About the Third Secret that the Pope has kept secret)

n151137.jpgn151138.jpg

Series:Cotton Malone

1. The Templar Legacy (2006) (About the Knights Templar)

2. The Alexandria Link (2007) (About the missing Alexandria Library)

3. The Venetian Betrayal (2007) (About Alexander The Great)

4. The Charlemagne Pursuit (2008) (About Charlemagne--and World War II)

5. The Paris Vendetta (2009) (About Napoleon--and about treasure stolen by Germans during World War II)

n157198.jpgn239919.jpgn270425.jpg

n312068.jpg

Edited by dolphingirl
mistakes

I would give him another chance because The Third Secret was the worst book I have ever tried reading and it's not a good representation of him as a writer. I have read all of his other books and enjoyed each one. I just finished The Paris Vendetta and it was another can't put it down because it's so good books. I would pay attention though because some of them are part of a series and that does make a difference because it helps if you read them in order. :D

Edited by dolphingirl

a very good historical fiction trilogy is The Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom.

the 3 books are 1) Dissolution, 2)Dark Fire, 3) Sovereign.

very engrossing story and characters set in 1500's England.

Lyn, there's a fourth book in the series called Revelation, and Sansom fans will be pleased to hear there will be another book published in 2010 called Heartstone :D

Peace, it's very unfortunate indeed :D I swear I won't try it eventhough it would be the cheapest way to go :roll:

Lyn, there's a fourth book in the series called Revelation, and Sansom fans will be pleased to hear there will be another book published in 2010 called Heartstone :)

Due for publication 6 August and it sounds a cracking book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heartstone-C-J-Sansom/dp/0230711251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262554781&sr=1-1

I can't wait - one for the beach as I go on holiday 2 days later :)

Due for publication 6 August and it sounds a cracking book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heartstone-C-J-Sansom/dp/0230711251/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262554781&sr=1-1

I can't wait - one for the beach as I go on holiday 2 days later :lol:

:) Amazing! Your holiday is 8 months away and already you have your holiday reading sorted out :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm half way through reading 'Lords of the Bow' by Con Iggulden and I'd definitely recommend it. It is fairly simply written, which suits it, and gives you great descriptions, allowing you to paint a vivid picture. I can appreciate the amount of research that must have gone into it, I'll definitely be looking out for the rest in the 'conqueror' series

I really like historical fiction when it's done well, and by that I mean taking into account the lack of modern conveniences available, and the problems those had in the past surmounting these difficulties. Just plunking characters down in the early 19th century, let's say, and moving them around with no realistic concept as to how people really lived then gets on my last nerve!!

Edited by Anika
word removed

I kind of go in and out of stages with historical fiction. But there are a couple books (Calico Captive and Celia Garth) that I read over and over again. They're by Gwen Bristow -- the first is set during the California Gold Rush and the second, during the Revolutionary War. She also wrote Jubilee Trail, which one of the librarians at our library says is her favorite of Bristow's. (I can't remember the historical event -- going on the Jubilee Trail, obviously, but I cannot recall what that is exactly. That's not one of favorites! We both share a passion for "Celia Garth.") Bristow wrote some other historical fiction as well, but those 2 are just huge favorites.