Used Books

Adam

I really like second hand books because they have a history. They meant something to somebody even if it was only that "they hated it" and each one carries the scars and marks of love or hate.

I love it when you find writing in a book like a dedication or something that gives a clue to who owned it such as a bookmark left in it's covers. The laughter lines and creases of the cover or the tell tale page turned over which is like a slice of time saying "I was here, this is where I read to" and I love the amber colour of the pages and their scent of age.

I think books are special and you can pass them on to others for them to be lost in another world if only for a few fleeting moments; it's nice to be able to get a sense of that with old books.

I agree with this. Books are so special :jump:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I used to buy only new books because I didn't like them in anything less than pristine condition. I tend to be very careful when reading books so they're still like new when they're finished so I used to think that it defeated the object if they were scruffy before I got my hands on them.

I have no problems with library books because they're only in my hands for a short period of time.

I have loosened up somewhat, mainly because of cost. I can't remember the last time I bought a book at full price, they are just stupidly expensive. I can often get seven decent used books for the price of one new book. I do tend to get them in the best condition I possibly can but if there are a couple of creases, I don't fret (especially if it's a book I am desperate to read). It is amazing how many books are in excellent condition and I always snap those up.

I used to buy only new books because I didn't like them in anything less than pristine condition. I tend to be very careful when reading books so they're still like new when they're finished so I used to think that it defeated the object if they were scruffy before I got my hands on them.

I understand how you feel - I love my books to look new too, but I've managed to get many prisinte-condition books second-hand for very reasonable prices (just a few quid at most really). I always feel very proud of myself for finding a good deal like that. :D

I suppose I shouldn't really say this, as I have bought used books myself in the past (albeit mostly out of print ones), but buying them in this way does the author no favours whatsoever. Most of us are struggling to make ends meet as it is - a recent survey by the Society of Authors found that the majority of their members earn less than

We had a similar discussion with Carole Matthews when she visited us. Although I understand what you're saying, with alot of my books, if I don't buy them used, then I won't buy them at all.. I simply can't afford to pay out £6+ everytime I need a new book. I'm not sure that there's a solution to keep everyone happy. :welcome:

Guest fireball

clapping.gif Well said Talisman, and thank you for reminding those who maybe weren't aware of some of the finer points of being a writer.

You make a good and valid point, I don't have any problem with the situation with the writers in the US writes, (for the record though, there perfectly sound in their actions) in fact I've always been a bit peeved at opening credits of most US TV shows, in that the writer is nearly always "named" as 5th/6th from the end of said credits,! which is very odd and very unfair to woman/man writers, without whom there wouldn't BE a show in the first place.!steamed.gif

I've more of a beef with book publishers, and more too, with the productions of authors books and, let's be honest, they can have men on the moon, and still make a meal out of producing a hardbacks.! With to-days unheard of technology, 20/30 years ago, the price/s is utterly ridiculous is it not.?

They'll know doubt come up with some "plausible" 'reason', but on closer inspection...

Many thanks for your post. icon14.gif

There is of course something to be said for both sides. The writer wants and deserves to get the most for their creation, the public wants to get the most bang for their buck.

Fireball, you brought out the publishers, the "middle men" and I have to agree, they are the ones that are the most able and also the most unwilling to adjust their ways. They are in reality many times gamblers, so maybe they can't adjust as much as we think they can/should. [?]

Michelle's point is very valid however as the "new" prices are often out of reach. I do buy second hand books both from Amazon Marketplace and second hand shops and cut rate new on Amazon. I can't think the authors make much money on Amazon's deals, and agree with Talisman that it is not fair to the author, but where to draw the line? Authors write so consumers can read, so maybe however the book is acquired is fair in the end. Maybe in buying a second hand book by an unknown, untried author will lead to more new book buying if the reader is pleased with the first cheaper book.

So hopefully it will all come out in the wash. :welcome:

I also can't afford the high prices of books nowadays. There is a book I've been wanting for a long time, but it''s costs about $40! I'll wait for books to either go on sale, or I'll buy them used. It's just too expensive otherwise.

I also can't afford the high prices of books nowadays. There is a book I've been wanting for a long time, but it''s costs about $40! I'll wait for books to either go on sale, or I'll buy them used. It's just too expensive otherwise.

Our local area library had a Library Sale every third Friday and Saturday and while I can't always find what I am particularly looking for I often find hardbacks to replace the paperbacks I have and unexpected gems that make my day. :welcome:

I understand what you're saying Talisman. I think we can all appreciate that authors are ripped off, but I'm sure they know what they're getting into when they decide to write, and hopefully they would keep a day job to pay the bills until perhaps they can make enough to write full time. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but we're all working hard and trying to get ahead in the world.

If it's a choice between having more money in my own pocket, or in someone else's pocket, I would choose me every time and I won't make apologies for it or feel bad about it :welcome: I've bought more than enough new books to help keep the book industry propped up so I think I'm entitled to buy a few cheapies now and then. Michelle was spot on when she said if she can't buy some of them used, she won't buy them at all. And if I was an author, I would prefer to have my work being enjoyed second-hand than being completely ignored by the book-buying public. :006:

Remember that this particular forum is full of book 'addicts'. We simply can't afford to feed our addictions by buying brand new books all the time. This is why we buy from second-hand bookshops. I think the average person who doesn't read as many books would be much more inclined to buy new rather than spend hours scouring second-hand shops for bargains. I don't think the BCF is indicative of the world at large.

Besides all that, most of the second-hand books I buy are written by long-dead authors who can't use my hard-earned cash anyway ;)

Very well said, Kylie! I often buy my favorite classics at the used book stores, too!:welcome: I think Talisman is coming from a pretty unique perspective, being a writer, but I think that most writers do understand the nature of the industry. It's like wanting to work for a non-profit organization. It may be rewarding, but it doesn't pay a lot! That's why many people choose to work for a conventional company, and try to volunteer their free time for their particular cause. Weird analogy, I know. I don't know why I thought of it!:006:

I understand what everyone is saying and don't want to make a big thing of this, since I know that most of the members here are not necessarily writers as well, but in actual fact the majority of us writers did not know that this was the situation before we wrote our books.

If you read books for aspiring authors on how to get published they are filled with how this writer and that writer got a huge advance and sold this many books, blah, blah, blah, but what they don't say is that these are the top 1 percent of writers worldwide and the majority are living pretty much in what we call poverty.

One man I know, a well known writer who has written best sellers lives in a drafty old caravan and grows his own veg because he can't afford to go to the supermarket ! He drives an old banger which is on its last legs and doesn't know what he will do once it stops working. Another writer I know, another well known man, who has written around 20 books and been published worldwide was considering filing for bankruptcy at one point !

It takes considerable time money and effort to write a good book - in my case five years. It cost me around £5000 to write the book and publication costs were a further £1500 on top of that. Because I self published (a whole other story) there is no one to help me with publicity - add to that then expenses such as telephone calls, internet charges, postage and paper etc, not to mention petrol and the cost of sending out umpteen free review copies, and it adds up to some considerable sum. I am nowhere near to even breaking even let alone covering my costs. I know lots of other writers in the same boat as well, who feel basically let down by the industry.

I know what you are saying, that money is tight and so people buy used books etc, but to be honest I would rather they were borrowed from the library as at least then I would get public lending rights (the princely sum of 5 pence). I do not think it is a lot to ask - after all put it this way - if I make £1.60 per book and it took five years to write - would you work full time up to 60 hours a week for 32 pence a year - or 0.0001 pence per hour ! You don't have to be mad to do this but it certainly helps !

As for books being expensive - they are many costs involved in the process and lots of people needing to be paid - the author him or herself, the editor, proof reader, illustrator, indexer, cover designer, typesetter, printer, etc, etc, the list is endless. It is a complicated process that you have to get right and this costs money. Add to this the fact that only one third of books actually make money at all and a third are published at a loss, the successful titles thus subsidise those that are less so. I think then all things conisdered, the majority of books are more than fairly priced.

June

I'm afraid that I don't think you're ever going to persuade people buying second hand books, even if we do understand how badly authors are paid.

I'm not sure I agree with you that authors don't realise what's ahead. Even during my time here, getting to know some writers and authors, I've realised that writing is generally a badly paid job.. and also that getting published is a difficult task.

I think the industry as a whole is mistreating authors.. it appears that only certain ones are given all the marketing, whilst the majority have to struggle, and I'm sure most big book stores make a bigger profit than they should. However, as readers, I don'tthink we're going to give up our second hand books.

I hear what you are saying Talisman, of course when you have put so much effort into a book, you want to be paid for it, but second hand books are the only way some of us can read. do buy certain books new, but truthfully at the moment I am struggling to feed my family and pay the bills on what I get. As has been said, we are all trying to make our way in the world. One of the things that keeps me going is reading, so I will buy second hand mostly at least for the time being. As has also been said, it probably all comes out in the wash anyway. Everybody has different cirumstances and buys books in different ways. If I can afford it, or I specifically want to I will buy new. The book industry is never going to be a very profitable one. Reading is a pleasure to be given to those who enjoy it.

Books have the power to change not only lives, but the whole world, and yet we pay footballers and celebrities obscene amounts of money. There seems to be a unspoken belief that you should not be able to make a living from going something that the world benefits from - hence nurses and teachers are in the same boat. What a topsy turvy world we live in !

Point taken though - I am not trying to tell people what to do (I would never do that) just tell it like it is from the writers point of view. Writers may understand that the chances of writing a best seller and making loads of money are slim, but we try anyway because we always hope that we may be the one in a million (or whatever the figure is) that gets lucky. It is the same reason that millions buy lottery tickets every week ...

If I was an author I would not care about second hand books. I mean I would have gotten the money for it once. So either way there is no way I am getting money for the same book twice. I would not care about the money aspect. I would just be glad people were enjoying my stories.

If you look at used cars does Toyota get money for a used one that was bought, no. You can't get money for the same car again. They just make more cars and keep improving their work to get their name out there so they can increase their profits.

Plus don't authors work with a publishing company. The authors that I know such as John Grisham and such get a set amount from their publishing company for money while they write.

Maybe the authors should know that the general public can't afford to go out and spend $50 on a new hardcover book or $12 on a new paperback. However the need for reading is still there so the $3 book in good condition is the better deal.

Most connoisseurs do not buy used books to save money as such. As I metioned before, there is something very enjoyable about poking around in a secondhand bookshop and finding something unexpected or simply buying on a whim. Many of the most interesting stories that I have are from books that I was not even looking for - just happened to come across them in a secondhand shop and bought on impulse. It is pastime that I am not willing to sacrifice.

Having saud that, the used book hobby has never stopped me or the wife from buying new books. We both have our own special interests and continue to get non-fiction publications regularly. As for fiction, we continue to buy books with reasonable regularity - the traditional paperback bought before a flight, popping into the local Waterstones while visiting the local mall etc.

The authors that I know such as John Grisham and such get a set amount from their publishing company for money while they write.

I know an awful lot of authors Adam on all five continents of the world, and I have never met or corresponded with any who were paid to write their books. The better known ones maybe who have a good track record and established careers, but these are very much in the minority and it takes years and several books to get to this point.

Most of the time you write the book, tout it around agents and publishers for a year or so, and if you are lucky, two years later they might publish it and give you an advance of maybe

Edited by Talisman