Used Books

Adam

I found this great little used book store and I was very impressed. The atmosphere was perfect, close to home, and of course a great selection of books. They even give you a free book of your choice for a purchase over $10! The books are dirt cheap and I brought in a pretty good haul.

I was even able to find some original covers of John Grisham books!

BUT

I got to thinking about these books. They are not all in the best condition, they are not bad, but they have been read before. It just got me thinking of who had this before me, what did they do with it, what were they like. Maybe I am over thinking this :D

Do used books bother you?

They don't bother me all that much. For the most part all my books come new, but I don't mind the odd used book considering the condition.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind buying a used book at all - if they are in a good condition. I have bought a large amount of book as used, and will continue to do so. Here in Malta, new books are expensive, and it is not worth it for me buying them brand new. Sometimes I buy new ones from Play or on Ebay, but I also buy lots second hand from a bookshop nearby, or from Ebay, (and a few from other members here). It never bothers me!

I've been buying used books ever since I worked in my mom's thrift store as a kid. It doesn't bother me at all, but if it's a book I really enjoy, I do wonder why the original owner got rid of it.:D

I don't mind buying or reading second hand books as I quite often buy books from charity shops and I'm a regular visitor to my local library. I do have to admit that I do tend to only go for ones that are in good condition, particularly when buying them, and even in the library a book that is in bad condition can put me off borrowing it even if it's a book that I would really like to read.

A large percentage of my books have been bought second-hand. I like being able to buy copies of books which have the original cover, so second-hand shops are great places to look for them. I agree with others, though, that I tend to only buy them if they are in reasonable condition.

I love buying secondhand books, but like others I get put off if it's not in very good condition. That said, I've given in a few times and have some pretty bad copies of books at home.

I bought a copy of The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne on the weekend. When I got it home and opened it, I found this written inside: 'Don't read the first 46 pages, it's boring' :D Turns out that the first 46 pages make up the introduction, so it looks like I'll be skipping that. Thank you anonymous person!

I don't like used books at all. I'm too fussy about how I look after mine, so used ones are invariably not up to my standard! :D I don't like the smell of them, and I don't like dirty or turned-down pages. I never go in second-hand bookshops. I don't even use my library! I prefer to buy my own books to keep in a pristine condition. Yes, I know I am too fussy! :D

The only second-hand books I possess are ones I have been forced to buy because they are out of print.

A large portion of my books are second hand. If you only buy ones in good condition and not split or stained and look as good as new, why pay full price if you can buy it for a fraction?

I have found Amazon Marketplace to be a good source of second hand books. The dealers have to be truthful about the condition of the books because if they get too many complaints against them, there are repercussions for them. The one time I received a book that was crummy when it was supposed to be "like new" I complained and Amazon refunded my money both for the book and postage.

Of course I would rather be able to get out to the store myself, but I can't always, so I rely on Amazon a great deal and their rating system has proved dependable.

When I was a little boy it was a Big Deal to go to the used book store. Getting ten books was a whole lot of fun and I could take some risky chances.

Today when I visit a used book store, I marvel at finding old titles that I read years ago; books I'd never see in a new book store and often buy them to re-enjoy them all over again. The leap back to what was popular years ago is appealing to me.

With brand new books, you turn the pages carefully and hope the spine doesn't start to crack.

I'm doing this with my current book. I try not to open it wide so sometimes I have trouble reading the words near the inner margins :D It's irritating but ultimately worth it, I think. I hate cracked spines, although a bigger problem for me is the bottom corner of the front cover. No matter how careful I try to be, the corner always gets a little turned up by the time I've finished, and it looks terrible. :D

I marvel at finding old titles that I read years ago; books I'd never see in a new book store and often buy them to re-enjoy them all over again.

Hear, hear! I was recently trying desperately to remember the name of a book I read at school when I was young, but having no success. When I was browsing the children's section of a second-hand bookshop on the weekend, there it was! And it's not a very well known book so you wouldn't expect to find it so easily!

Guest fireball
I don't like used books at all. I'm too fussy about how I look after mine, so used ones are invariably not up to my standard! :D I don't like the smell of them, and I don't like dirty or turned-down pages. The only second-hand books I possess are ones I have been forced to buy because they are out of print.

Here, here, some people treat books like nobodies business :D , and if they do that to books, what are they like as people, at least in libraries they've got to treat the books with some respect, at least in most libraries I hope THAT's the case.!

I'm not keen on second-hand books at all. Don't mind if they're in good nick and they're passed on by someone I know, but I'm not into buying from second-hand bookshops. I've probably got an over-active imagination, but I just don't like thinking about what the previous owners may have done with them!

I have family in Hay-on-Wye, which is popularly known as "the second-hand book capital of the world". Good place for anyone who does like browsing - the place is awash with them.

I agree with this. You can buy so many books for so little. If you buy one you don't enjoy, it doesn't matter, because the cost was small :D

I too like to buy used books because as you say Adam you get so many for a small outlay. If you find that some are not as good as you first thought they can always be passed on through charity shops. :D

I really like second hand books because they have a history. They meant something to somebody even if it was only that "they hated it" and each one carries the scars and marks of love or hate.

I love it when you find writing in a book like a dedication or something that gives a clue to who owned it such as a bookmark left in it's covers. The laughter lines and creases of the cover or the tell tale page turned over which is like a slice of time saying "I was here, this is where I read to" and I love the amber colour of the pages and their scent of age.

I think books are special and you can pass them on to others for them to be lost in another world if only for a few fleeting moments; it's nice to be able to get a sense of that with old books.